Deuce

I want dive loops on my reserve.

I have three reserve rides. All on PDR 143's One was a reserve safety day provided by PD and Gravity Gear and two were real reserve rides.

I yanked front riser both times to get a little more forward speed for excellent stand up landings, but by grabbing the thick risers, not dive loops. Why no dive loops on "high performance" reserves?

I have three reserve rides. All on PDR 143's One was a reserve safety day provided by PD and Gravity Gear and two were real reserve rides.

I yanked front riser both times to get a little more forward speed for excellent stand up landings, but by grabbing the thick risers, not dive loops. Why no dive loops on "high performance" reserves?

i want the same thing on my mirage rig with a pd106 reserve. my rigger says he is going to call mirage and see if it is ok...

hmmm i need to become a rigger and just do it myself.......

mirage.... can i put dive loops on my reserve risers?.

Is that a rhetorical question?

I believe the purpose of a reserve canopy is to get you to the ground alive and as uninjured as possible, so you can go back up in the air and do whatever it is you were doing some more. I also believe that any feature that compromises this purpose - by reducing the reserve's ability to reliably open under all circumstances possible - will be replaced or done away with. Hence freebags that cost a pretty penny to replace.

Plus dive loops add pack volume and weight. And you wouldn't want that, would you? ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I would think that adding dive loops to the risers would alter the design cnfiguration, and therefore affect - or possible cancel - the TSO. I can't think of many rig makers who would want to go through another round of TSO testing just to put dive loops on their reserve risers.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It is my beliefe that you're beeing as humorous as you are serious.

That said; dive loops would be a bad idea in my opinion. Adding anything to the system that has a posibility, no matter how remote of restricting or inhibiting the deployment of the reserve is a bad idea.

just keep honkin' on those big type 8 risers of yours.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

by reducing the reserve's ability to reliably open under all circumstances possible - will be replaced or done away with. Hence freebags that cost a pretty penny to replace.

Uh Eugene just spot better next time....mine landed within 100 yards of the peas.:P

Why no dive loops on "high performance" reserves

Where are you over and how high are you after the majority of reserve rides?

That's why my rigger won't add them to my reserve risers, since most likely you'll be low and not over the DZ.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just toggle hook... I'm sure he'll add them after a while.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

In the Netherlands they're not uncommon on SMALL reserve's. I think it's nuts, you don't need ehm and what you don't need you don't want on your reserve.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Due to the lower riser pressure on my PD 106R, I have no problem grabbing up at the links to pull them down. I have got some nice swoops out of it; one into the "backyard" carving past a tree at the end as I ran out of real estate(fence).

But... If your reason to add dive loops is "to get a little more forward speed for excellent stand up landings" then you may need to reconsider your choice of reserve(size). Or get some more practice jumps on one. I don't think you should have to induce speed to get a good landing on a PD143R unless you are really loading it up. Although I have never jumped one

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I had them on my Javelin.

It was kind of a joke. Derrick asked me what else I wanted on mt rig and I said "Reserve Dive loops".

He kinda chuckled.

A few weeks later I get a call saying my new rig was ready. I go to pick it up, and sure enough I had dive loops on my reserve! Cool.

I have six rides on my PD113.
One was in a tight area between trees, so that was straight in.

The next 4 were 180 hooks.

My last was on my new Vector.

I don't see a problem with them on the reserve, how ever when I asked Bill Booth to have them put on my Vector 3....He gave me an "Are you stupid?" look. And then a lecture on wh he would not. I totaly respect Relative Workshop, and I think they have the best engineered rigs on the planet. Bill told me that he would never put dive loops in a reserve tray due to the fact that many times less is better. And the RW will not add UNECESSARY things that could cause problems just cause I might want them. And that since it has not been tested they would never do that to a reserve system.

All very valid points...And even though I can't see how they could cause a problem, and I have never heard of a problem like that...I also realize that Bill knows tons more than me, and if he says its stupid...Thats good enough for me.

Funny note on the Javelin...when I went to another rigger who didn't know me, and didn't knnow my relationship with Derrick...He was going to cut them off before he repacked the reserve. He didn't cut them off, but when I came to pick them up he started questioning me about them. He said they were not from the factory,a nd that I must have added them.

I told him that they were built and installed by Sunpath and that he should call Derrick and ask him.

So they are not needed.
Could cause a problem.
But they are fun.

I'd say don't get them.

You don't need them. Landing under a reserve should be safe not fun, and I would hate to be the first fatality due to them.

BTW I have a Javelin in the closet for sale;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Some of the reples in this thread are funny.

By the way, Other JP, JP jumps a wings so his reserve risers are type 7 not 8. That's even better!

I see no reason dive loops would cause deployment problems, nor would the increase the pack volume come on!!!.. heheh.. how large are 2 pieces of 1 inch type 4 any way? I bet you could fit 18 pieces of 1 inch type 4 in the pack tray with out noticing;)

My old boss put dive loops on his reserve risers. I never got around to putting them on mine. The big type seven risers are so easy to pull down, I don't see a reason to. I've landed my reserve straight in, and hooked it in as well. The big 3 or 4 point stitch pattern makes a great handle.

I'd like to hear the earful that was given to ron about diveloops.

Deuce, I'd put them on for ya but I don't think you'll get the aprroval from Henri.

Good day!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

>I see no reason dive loops would cause deployment problems, nor
> would the increase the pack volume come on!!!..

I don't think that's the issue. Say a jumper gets dive loops put on his reserve. He hooks his reserve and dies when he can't dig it out of the corner. Later the prosecutor asks the rigger/manufacturer "did you or did you not make a dangerous, unusual and unapproved alteration to this rig specifically to encourage the deceased to perform the manuever that resulted in his death, and did you profit from making this deadly modification?"

Skydivers sue other skydivers now, and in many cases that will change what you can have done to your rig.

I'd like to hear the earful that was given to ron about diveloops.

No you don't.:S

I see no reason dive loops would cause deployment problems

I don't either...But Bill said it *could* do something bad... He also said that since they have not tested it, and they didn't plan on ever testing it I was not getting them. And I'm not going to argue with Bill about gear. He knows tons more than me about gear. And it is a sponsored rig, and it's his company.

I just don't need a better reason than Bill Booth thinking its bad idea.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334