Deuce

I want dive loops on my reserve.

I understand that Bill. That's why I wouldn't do it. I'll quote my last post, "Deuce, I'd put them on for ya but I don't think you'll get the aprroval from Henri."

Henri being the manufacturer of said equipment. The mod is on the reserve system so the mod wouldn't be approved. If it were mine and I was killed because of it, big deal, I kill both the defendant and the prosecutor. If the rig belongs to someone else then, of course not.

It would also mean I would/could not let others use my rig because of an unauthorized modification.

That said."Deuce, I'd put them on for ya but I don't think you'll get the approval from the manufacturer of the skydiving harness and container system"
better;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

In the US, doesn't jumping a non-TSO'd reserve endanger the pilot's certificate? It would be in violation of FAR 105.43, wouldn't it? So it wouldn't be cool even to modify your own rig, if I read that right...
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

You read that right. I posted so quick I forgot about the pilot in command. By the way, mine are not now, nor will ever be modified.

I also doubt the pilot would have any problems any way. If all records appear to be correct, packing data card and log book, The rigger who modified his own risers would be the one in trouble. Since he would no longer be able to defend himself, the case would be closed... or never even opened.

Reading up higher in the thread, I mentioned that my old boss had dive loops on his risers. He was the owner of the TSO. Whether or not it was a legal addition, it was his design and he built it. Funny thing is he did hookturns with his toggles.

So add them and get the wrath of what Bill described above, or leave it alone.

In Reply to Ron. >>I just don't need a better reason than Bill Booth thinking its bad idea.<<

That's good enough reason not to do it, but I still don't think it's necessarily a BAD idea... just a very unnecessary one.

Another thing I find interesting. The Skyhook Cutaway rig comes with Dive loops on the mini risers used on the first "Reserve" How many Test jumps have been put on it? It's still unnecessary so why bother with making it a legal mod. If it were my design, I certainly wouldn't do it either.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

has there ever been a documented case of front dive loops impairing opening or causing a mal? if not i think loops on a reserve is a great idea. some canopy pilots havent come straight in in 1000s of jumps. it may be safer for a extremy expirienced swooper to hook a reserve. or am i crazy?
<

I'm a newbie, so I can't say for certain, but I do know that a seven cell lands differently than a 9 cell. Most people jump 9 cells, right? reserves are 7 cell. IIRC, the 7 cell has a steeper glide ratio. How would a steeper glide ratio affect a hook turn? wouldn't you lose altitude faster than if you were on a 9 cell? Could that make you possibly think you're turning at the right altitude but actually turn too low?

I don't know. I've never done a hook turn. I'm just speculating, and hoping someone knows the answer.