cocheese

What was your most proud skydive day

Gotta have 3.
1.First high solo. Friends in the door with me. So terrified I could barely speak. White, weak and shaking like a leaf. Thought I was badass. Thought wrong. Knew a problem with instability I hadn't licked yet was waiting for me right outside that door. A real battle with a real demon with my life at stake. The most gut-ripping fear I ever felt. Jumped alone anyway. Won.
2. First night jump. Possibly the most insane thing I have ever done or will do, and want more of. Clean off my mental intensity gauge. It blew my mind completely....except the part that remembers when to pull and how to fly.
3. First solo wingsuit flight on my own suit. Finest moment of my life. Lawndart took one perfect picture at the exact perfect time as he dropped away and I opened my wings. That one pic is worth a million words describing my last two years and all the effort it took to get to that moment. Thanks, man.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

1. Being a competitor on the a US Parachute Team at the 8th WPC in CF at Imatra, Finland in July 2000.

2. Participating in world record big-way CRW with the best in the world for a week, topped off by a 70-way world record on the last jump of the last day of the meet in November 2003.

Bob

1. Most any time I had a first jump class that did uniformly well. I do miss teaching sometime.

2. Night SCSA. Even the logbook says "magic."

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My most proud day, bar none, was 72 hours after my AFF 3 cutaway. Very very difficult jump, but managed to do it. I was very proud of myself - staring that fear in the face, and beating it.

There is nothing esle that has come close, except perhaps graduating AFF or getting my own license. But I think that 4th jump was the toughest, and thus was my proudest moment.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

The day that I landed in a creek, on accident. I figured it must take a lot of skill to land in the one spot that you aren't supposed to.

Well I guess that doesn't really count as the jump I am most proud of, so I guess I could say the very first formation jump I did I got a 6 point 6-way, and it was only my 25th jump.

its already snowing up here in boston again, god im missin zhills :(

You could always transfer to USF and move here like the rest of us did...c'mon drink the cool-aid
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

My most proud moment was when a good friend wanted me to do a 2way with him on his return to the sky. He had about 45ish jumps and had been involved in a freefall collision where the other jumper died (also a friend of mine). About a month later, when my friend was healed from his injuries and was scared to get back in the air, i took him out for a nice relaxing 2way and he had a great time. I was so honored that he chose me to make that jump with him.

Jump #486 - my first reserve ride. I proved to myself that i can properly handle a malfunction, plus it was my first save as a rigger. Saving my own ass gave me mucho confidence in my rigging skills.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

1. The first few minutes after my first chop. Just knowing that I did perfectly what I was trained to do to save my own life. :)
2. My second base jump off the bridge. I had a better landing than most people I know. ;) Stood it up in the landing area to the proud cheers from my Hellfish Family. B|

1: Never falling under canopy its been 60 jumps, still waiting for one everyone says it will happen but im not holding my breath.
2: My first RW 3-way at about jump #30 with 2 jumpers that had about 20 times the amount of jumps that I had. It went great we turned a bunch of points and I really felt like I was close there level. (even thought I was probably know where close) Thanks Terry and Arron from Elsinore

My first demo jump. Roger Nelson and a few others(need to protect the innocent). Roger grabs me and says grab a rig and lets go. Ok lets do it. I get in the otter, Roger looks at me and says you are ready for this???I go ready for what. He tells me to look out the plane, ya see the highway, yep well don't come in short, ya see the church, yes ,well don't hit it, you need to stick your landing between the church and the telephone poles.

I am like what are we doing? He tell me, Tim this is your first demo jump. I was like hell yes. We did an 8 way out the door, I lost my slot, floated, dumped my chute and followed Roger in, I hit the landing right on the mark, Got a big High 5 and a hells yes you did it. The jump was for a local church function, kids were all over the place. That by far was my best experience yet. Miss ya Roger...

Many Proud moments. The ones that stand out are.......

1.) Jm'ing my first students

2.) Making the Ft. Lewis Demo Team

3.) The day I found out I was accepted on a 10 way team with Dan B.C this year for nationals!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope number three will be followed by a few more proud moments this year. Now, if I could just convince him to do 8 way me.:)
Dom

1) 28th June '92 - My 1st jump after a layoff of over 2.5 years. (We'd landed a downplane on a concrete runway in October '89 and it took me this long to get fit again). It was a 2-way from 12K with my downplane buddy (Marcus Beck) and the only words of caution from the CCI were "no f***ing CReW"

2) 16th December '99 - my 1st FAI world record, the 282-way in Ubon, Thailand.

Pete.

3 years ago (4?) My wife was having problems closing on her slots - she had maybe 30 jumps at the time.

We did a 'patty-cake' dive to see what's up. I do this with most newbies eventually....

This is a no grip dive, just flat hands and pressure. No "snatching".

She was reaching and waffling in and out - typical.

Finally, she kept her arms back and closed nicely. But there was no pressure. I'd push and it would just push her back.

I 'snatched' her grippers and got right in her face and mouthed "PUSH" then dropped back to the patty cake (palms to palms..)

She got a mad look on her face, stuck out her legs and started driving me backwards across the sky. Just as quickly, her eyes lit up, she looked surprised and she started laughing. No real problems to this day - she can turn points and sitfly pretty good also with about 400-500 jumps (maybe more, I don't ask). And is now nicely still in the skill during RW like she should be - funny how you have to learn to push to eventually be able to take a slot without pushing or pulling. Rarely does does someone have the opposite problem.

That was fun.

If you're new, be aware of your legs

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ooh, just 2?

Hmmmmmmm.

Jump #24
First jump on my own canopy. Also my first jump off of student status. Had a sweet, simple freefall, pulled, and when I looked up at that beautiful canopy I was blown away by it all. And then I did my control tests, turned 180o and was sitting in the middle of these sensational godsrays, all golden and brilliant errupting from the clouds. And I was in the middle of it. WOW:o WOWB| WOW:)
Jump #150(ish)
At the 4-way Scrambles in Pitt, the other three guys on the team all had hugely more experience than me. The first jump was sweet. The second one I brainlocked. But the THIRD jump... oh yeah B| I landed, but my feet barely stayed on the ground. The points just kept coming, the jump seemed to go on and on, and everything just rocked.

and I'll squeeze in a third. #203. My balloon jump. Nuff said B|

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

One of my proudest was a night demonstration jump into Legion Field in Birmingham, AL in 1989 as part of the 20th Special Forces Group Parachute Exhibition Team (when that existed) for the All-American Bowl football game (when that existed) out of a CH-54 Skycrane helicopter with my Dad (MSG Retired: Bob Phillips), Uncle (CSM Retired: Buddy Blue), and cousin (Chuck Blue: SkymonkeyOne) when we all used to jump together. I've done others that I'm very proud of but this one was special because of the respect that I have for my family members mentioned. My hats off to all of my former teammates (including also CSM Retired: Bobby Cook, Luther Bacon, and Barry McClain)

And yet another was 1 week after 9-11 when four of us (members of the Opelika Skydiving Association Parachute Exhibition Team: all either current or retired military) jumped into Legion Field in Birmingham, AL again for the Army/UAB football game. We were the only parachutist in the nation, at that time, allowed to jump into, let alone fly over, a major sporting event. FAA supervision was extreme and we only had one shot at it. The only way we were allowed to do it was due to SkymonkeyOne (Chuck Blue's) Dad (CSM Retired Buddy Blue's) influence and who he knew. We flew into the bowl stadium and the crowd was extra loud due to the exitement, patriotism, and especially anger over what had just happened. Which we should all still have, by the way. All music seemed to stop and all you could hear was the synchronized chanting/screaming....USA...USA...USA. What a thrilling and humbling experience to be part of that. Shortly after, I was deployed. I'll never forget it.

1) my first aff level when my instructor totally let go (level3/4?) he came round to the front after about 20 seconds. On the ground after I asked him if he'd been keeping me stable before he flew round to the front. He said "No, I let go as soon as we were out the door, you just didn't notice." I was smiling like the bloody cheshire cat.

2) My first solo. Just so cool. First time I got to take in the view and it was so beautiful.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Two things?

1. The 3 point 12 way with Dennis from Airspeed in Eloy last new year... we did 6 man blocks and 4 man blocks in the points and none of us thought it would work, but it did! Awesome fun.B|B|

2. First jump on my (then) new rig. First pure ZP canopy I jumped (spectre) and such a sweet landing... I LOVE that rig!B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

my first pack job was pretty exciting. so much happened. i it jumped from 5500 locked right arm to right arm with my aff instructor, just goofing off and spinning like a clock for a few K. so funny. HE muffed the spot tho, and we landed off site. it was also tie for my scariest... the wind was so strong that day, my glide path from 2K looked like I (and the 2 other guys on our load) was heading for the interstate! i was jumping a larger chute too than usual, and not falling fast enough. turning 360s hard to bleed off alt just blew me farther to the highway. i was doing pull-ups on the front risers and was completely up out of the leg straps to dive that "cadillac" of a chute into the wind. i put it down right on the side of a cornfield in a 50 foot clearing, with a road and powerlines and farms all around. i had the best landing of all aboard. i got my A too that jump. 3 birds with one stone that day it was the best one ever.

I've thought about posting something here, but nothing really stuck me as being that great a day until I read the 'I'm back' thread. Here's what I posted there:

About a month ago one of my AFF ground school class-mates was out for (I think) his level 4. He was nervous as hell and told me that might be his last jump. I was sad to hear this and told him he just needed to relax and have fun. We talked for a while, and I tried to reassure him that if he relaxed everything would work out fine.

Luckily I was on the same load he was. I was part of a 4-way, so one of the first groups out. Right before the red light came on, I pointed at him to get his attention, gave him the hand signal to relax, a thumbs-up, and a big grin. He returned the thumbs-up and a bit of a forced smile.

There was nothing forced about his ear-to-ear grin when he got down on the ground! Hopefully he'll have a long skydiving career.

Sadly, it was also my least proud day as on that very same jump I tracked too long, pulled too low, and got grounded. Though if that means I never make that mistake again I guess it could be another kind of proud day for a lesson well learned.