Bosveld

How important is looking cool in my gear.

If you could only afford second hand gear, would you take the matching jump suit and harness, although the harness might not be 100% comfortable and the jump suit might be a little baggy for your fall rate, but hey they look shit hot?

Or would you go for the harness that fits you perfectly and is most practicle for your type of jumps. Never mind the fact that it's shocking pink, red, horrible army green and purple, with a perfect fitting yellow and orange jump suit?

I am offended that you don't think that orange and yellow would look good...!:P

Seriously though, if looking cool is that important then get a bank loan and get some gear which works well and looks good. If your suit doesnt fit properly then you are making RW much harder for yourself with booties which might not work and possible fall rate control issues...:S

Frank.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

honestly, I'd probably keep shopping if you're really that turned off by the colours, but really, it's all about function. There's a guy at my dz that has the uhhh... oddest... looking gear. I won't tell you his name (gulaz) but he got gear for a really really good deal. It looks... well.... I'll let him describe it to you, but it works, and that's really all that matters... you could have the coolest looking gear ever, if it (in the case of the jumpsuit) keeps you from falling with people, then what good is it? all that's going to do is make you look like a poser. You can take the other gear, that may look less modern, and fly like the wind... the only people who'll think less of you, is the people on the ground, and what are they really?

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

No No, don't get me wrong.

I've always been the laughing stock at my DZ because looking cool comes last on my list. I don't really care about looking cool, if it fly's well, then I love it.

I've just noticed other people don't always share my opinion, they care too much about looking cool, even if they have to sacrifice a little bit of functionality.

I was wondering how many of those people are really out there.

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, will be true!

Cool is on my list, but practicality comes first.

I bought my rig second hand. I didn't care what it looked like. It's a black Racer with a purple pop top. The canopy is blackberry, purple, magenta, fluro pink, fluro orange.

It works.

I bought myself a brand new rel suit. I got my colours from my rig. Black, purple and orange.

My goggles are red. Doesn't match, but my old lens fit in them, so I saved a couple hundred dollars there.

Helmet is black. But black goes with everything.

Got a new freefly suit for christmas. Black, purple and orange.

If I can, I'll go with my current colour scheme, but it doesn't really bother me.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Same here, got the rig 1st it just happened to be Black Blue & purple, so when I boutght my Rel suit, I got it the same colours.
The i got the seamstress at work to make up some freefly pants and a flreefly suit, it cost me $70.00AUD ($52.00US) for all the material for both. And the colours are BLue Purple & Black:)Now, I'm not a great flyer by any stretch of the imagination, but You'd never know that on the ground:D:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

cool for me is not always what people think is cool...
1st got my freeflypants by matter, was an error in colours a client chose, so I got them half price (and was a custom size which fit me perfect), grey with yellow and white stripes.
then got my rig (2nd hand), black Talon with small pink and purple stripes with a sabre150 pink white and blue. Not very trendy... but saved my life a couple of hundred times.
then I ordered my Safire2 139, got it grey, yellow and white like my pants...so that was nice, at least something matching B|
but got into the Piis family www.piis.ch and our colours are blue and orange... the original piispants are orange with blue stripe design, so I decided to be the inverted (or perverted) piis.. ordered mine blue with orange stripes...
so... I now have to order a blue and orange canopy :P

BTW my helmet is light metal green... (which goes with nothing) with a big edelweiss sticker behing (wow that's kitschy) and just wrote FISH with these little fashion diamonds (wow that's getting very gay...) will post pics when I can...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Dude, the harness needs to fit. I don't care what color my used gear is. I am happy that it fits well. The jumpsuit is a little loose and I will probably buy a new one, but for now it works. It is more important that the rig fits properly. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I happen to have 2 rigs and 5 jump suits B|
I can pick and match my colors as needed :P

I am lying really, both rigs are all black and the jumpsuits are all Blue with black apart from the red freefly suit that is totally un-cool.

Priorities for equipment are:
1. Safety
2. Safety
3. Saftey
200. Safety

Coolness just does not enter the equation.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

My container and jump suit somewhat match. In my opinion they look cool. My main matches nothing. A Bonehead M/W helmet (like mine) on you noggin, will take away all coolness. It dont matter how groovy your container and and jumpsuit are, do you look cool in you helmet.

Whats cool looking now anyways with the FFers wearing about 12 differenr colors at once! lol

Seriously, buying new gear, yes I'd want the colors to look good to me. Buying used, top priotity is on what shape the stuff is in and the fit. Colors will only come into play for me on used equipment if I find 2 peices of equipment that I'm equally happy with fit and wear wise.
Remster

I couldn't care less about looking cool, and am amazed that anyone would give it all that much thought - not to mention time, effort and money.

I have one rig that's pink, but it fits fine, works great, and nobody is going to walk off with it by mistake. It does make it hard to argue that it was someone else in the wrong slot on the video if you brainlock, though.

I'll take mismatched colors and airworthy to chic and mechanically iffy any day of the week.

Blue skies,

Winsor

this is why I am a fan of "boring" mostly black rigs with maybe colored tape, piping, a "mirage g3" logo on the side of it, etc. that's all one other color.

it will make it that much easier for people to buy a rig that fits them and not having to worry about looking cool in it.

if you end up with a jumpsuit that doesn't fit and a rig that's no good for you, you'll be the coolest guy who can't stay with an RW formation and always walks around the dropzone like a prison inmate who's gotten a little too much attention.

the red freefly suit that is totally un-cool.

>:(>:( Hey now RED looks GOOD on some people..

Serioously..
Bosveld.. I see you are in SA... any French Ancestry here????

I took this French guy who had been jumping at our DZ down to Ralphs ( the CALL RALPH guy) he has several hundred jumpsuits ...from brand new...to suits back into the 60's. We were on our way to the Byron Boogie and he needed a jumpsuit he could fly in reallly badly. He had a totally inappropriate suit for his body type. There was a very good suit there that fit him well and would have flown well and it had booties. He did not get the suit because it was "ze wrong coulour" aaarrrggghhh several hours of looking at and trying on suits and one perfect one...but the "WRONG COULOUR" WTF. The price was also less than 1/3 of what a new bootie suit would have cost him.

WE continued on down to Byron.. I got him on some Mad John loads and his borrowed student suit was inadequate.. he was not DRESSED FOR SUCCESS and he kept going low.
When you are starting out.. get what will get you in the air.. Get what is safe for you...and fly it.. as you have TIME... and the MONEY.. get what custom gear you need.. to match your....by then....MAD FLYING SKILZ.

A skygod once told me that skydiving is, "all about looking cool walking to the airplane, since that is just about the only time people will see you.” Seriously, functionality is first, but it never hurts to look cool too.

Really though just about all of us look like some Evil Kinivel (sp?) wannbe in our jump suits. Most Whuffo’s think we all look silly.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP