Vertifly

Have your relatives come to see you skydive?

One other person in my family did a tandem. It took that to get them all out there. One or two more people might give it a try and that would get them out again, but they don't have much interest in seeing me jump as an experienced jumper. They just go for the event of going when someone who doesn't do it wants to do a tandem
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

My relatives show very little interest in the sport or coming out to see some landings. I was just wondering what everone elses experience is with this.

My mother has expressed her dislike of my "suicide" sports.....and has refused to come out ever......

But I keep hoping she will change her mind.....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

my mother refuses to come out and watch me "kill myself". she cries and begs me to not go every time i get ready to go to the DZ for the weekend. both my parents have offered numerous times to pay off all my bills if i would stop jumping. the way i see it they will get used to it in another year or so!:ph34r:
What's the worst that can happen?

My relatives are eager to see me, grandma in particular.
My parents recently began scuba diving and so they can relate to the enjoyment of being introduced to an extreme sport.

I've been stalling them though because with my low jump numbers and canopy variations (3 different sizes and models in 30 jumps), my landings are sometimes embarrassing and I would prefer to have a bit more regular success in that area before inviting them to watch.:$

I never got the chance to get my mother to the DZ(Dad was already gone by the time I started jumping). The closest I came was to get one of my Aunt and Uncle to came and watch for a while. You would think that I was asking them to watch my execution. I had to practically bribe them top get there. But once they saw us landing and the antics under canopy, they thought it was very cool.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I'd been jumping for a couple years before any of my relatives, other than my son, came out to watch. Mom and Dad weren't first. ;) One of my aunts, an uncle, one set of grandparents, one of my cousins and my brother all came out at one point or another.

The day we set the women's record my brother, his g/f, my niece, my kid and my parents were all at the dz for at least a few hours. B|

My family was skeptical of my passion for skydiving but now, they're proud of me. Sure, they're still concerned about me but they're happy for me. As of right now, they're planning to come out this summer to see me. My cousin and father have expressed interest in doing tandem jumps this summer but who knows?

My family loves to come watch me swoop and meet all my jumping friends. They make instant friends when they show up at the DZ, and love having picnics out near the landing area. My mom has even done three tandems to see what it is like. She is the best mom on the entire planet, there is no doubt about this. My dad, who won't get in airplanes, is super proud of me, brags about my skydiving endeavors to his friends and students, and even wrote up a case study on my home DZ that has been published in several business strategy text books. (He was very sure to include *my* picture.) My brother hasn't had a chance to come watch me jump yet, but he is a glider pilot and really wants me to jump from his glider and climb all over the wings and stuff.

In short, my family is so cool about skydiving, I got a cypres for highschool graduation, when I had my first cutaway and it scared me shitless my dad called up Jim Crouch (director of safety and training at USPA) and ordered me the video breakaway, when I dropped out of school to be a packer they supported my decision and thought I was smart for doing it.. I could go on and on and on..

Ahh.. I love my family. :)

My mom has not only come out and watched me, but has done 3 tandems hersel. My dad has seen me jump about 2 times, but only one of my mom's tandmes. Back in October my mom, dad, sister and cousin watched me jump, but that was mostly because we were going on a cruise and stopped on the way to the ship. Also, my aunt, my niece and my nephew came and saw my first jump.

Unfortunately most of my family lives in CT and I live in GA so there are not too many opportunities for them to come watch me. If I lived closer I am sure they would come out every so often and watch. What family I do have here keeps saying they want to come out, but they never do.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

Hey you.....was good to see you this weekend!

My family has not been the best about coming to see me either. My grandparents are 5 minutes from the DZ and I ask them EVERY WEEKEND I'M THERE to come watch a few loads but nope...

Had to go all the way to Cross Keys to get my dad and sister to come watch, and they have been the visit several times since then but "don't have the time".

Oh well, they know where I am.

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Mom comes out occasionally with my niece and nephew. There mother (my sister) has been out a few times. The only time they could drag my dad out was 2 years ago for the Texas State record 120 way attempt. They left after 1 attempt. He still asks most weekends if I want to go to the CC and play golf with him but I quit golf a couple of years ago because of skydiving. 1700 jumps in 3 years and he still thinks he's gonna talk me out of jumping.;)

The day we set the women's record my brother, his g/f, my niece, my kid and my parents were all at the dz for at least a few hours.

Remember how my mom blessed all us gals with Holy Water right before we jumped? Heck, she was even blessing the airplanes as they taxied by her.

When ever I'm out at Perris jumping, my whole family comes out and watches. Can't get rid of them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I think my family and my girlfriend like to pretend like I'm not actually skydiving and by going and watching they would have to face the truth, which is something they are not willing to do right now. I'll take them not coming out but also not bothering me about it over being pestered to shit and begged not to jump.

My family just deals with it. They look at the photos that I shove in their faces but that's about it. My sister even brought my niece and nephew over the night before my first jump so they could say "Good Bye" in case they never saw me again!

I begged my parents to come out for my graduation jump as a student and they actually came (grumbling the whole way). Of course just my luck that it was at least 95 degrees with very little wind that day and no shade anywhere. On the same load as my big jump my ex had a cutaway (not a mal, just wanted to cut away!) and he drug me out looking for his canopy...leaving my parents stuck at the DZ by themselves in boiling heat for well over an hour! B|

Needless to say, my Dad will NEVER be back. I'm working on my Mom though. I bought her a gift certificate for a helicoptor ride at CrossKeys but I think she's trying to wimp out on me.

Oh, my 3 year old sons gladly go to the DZ. Actually they beg to go, especially on week days! To get out of school! Hmm...a 3 yr old can be taught to flat pack...right? ;):D

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

Yes, My family comes out to watch my sister and I jump. We've had a few barbeques at the dz where everybody jumping was envited to have some food and hang out with hte fam. They like to watch my sister do crew and the little ones love being there too.

My family understands how I feel about jumping and know that they'd rather be a part of it instead of seperate because they wouldn't see mary and I as often in the summer

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky