pilotdave

Stupidest thing you've ever seen at WFFC (other than the mr bill landing)

It wasn't necessarily a stunt but I saw a few people driving themselves around in the golf carts running over their own canopy.:S

When we tried to tell one guy he just shrugged his shoulders.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

i heard someone did a swoop competition against a golfcart... ;)
the gorlf cart won... hope your leg will soon be fine...

Seems there are loads of stuff involving golf carts at the convention.

I never went there, but is it THAT big ??? It sounds just sooo too much to me to move around in a golf cart...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I never went there, but is it THAT big ???

Yes it is. Having a golfcart makes getting around much easier.

Not sure if this is really skydiving related, but the stupidest thing i saw was a highly respected jumper being strung out on drugs the whole time. I no longer have respect for him.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Not really a stupid stunt, but one of the funniest. Some jumpers approached the Golden Knights about doing a raft jump. Stevie (Spaceland Anomaly) was asked to shoot video.

Problem was most had not done a raft jump and the pilot was, at that time, not familiar with it either.

At altitude, the green light was given, people tugged up and out on the raft, zero G came, divers were running out and video followed.

Exactly in that order! Result, raft was still on the deck when zero G came, but jumpers had quit pulling by then, divers running in zero G are seen on video moving their feet but not going anywhere since they are 8-12 inches off the deck. As positive G resumes, divers run out but video falls on tailgate and rolls out into the void.

People in the raft never even made it out the door either!

Communication anyone?

Blue skies,

Jim

Those guys doing a three-way from 2,800 out of the PAC was pretty dumb.

One of the three was still sniveling around 500 feet or so. Scary shit to see, especially when he's sniveling directly above you, and you're not sure if it's going to inflate or not.

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

actual 3 way? or just a launch and track? i've done some 4 way launches at 3000 and less from a cessna, those are fun jumps!

actual 3 way? or just a launch and track? i've done some 4 way launches at 3000 and less from a cessna, those are fun jumps!

As I saw it from the ground, it tumbled and they spent far too much time (read: greater than zero) trying and succeeding in getting it stable again.

Alright, we know what the stupidest stunt was this year. How about other years? What's the dumbest (skydiving) stunt you've seen attempted at the WFFC?

i would have to say at the freestyle swoop comp, the dude trying the wingover (no names, but he post on here :P), it wasn't stupid or dumb, but it sure as hell was funny.

just coming out of his turn, planing out and just yanking a toggle trying to get the canopy to touch the water, it was great :D

or luigi landing the 39, dude has mad skill, i'll give him that, but room for error just isn't enough for me. i got to give the guy mad props for it, but i still don't think it's very smart

later

seeing someone's canopy open at 400 feet. that was pretty stupid.

That was pretty smart if you ask me.

He had to open it some time didn't he?;)

true. true. but i actually know the kid in question... and though he is a friend, i and many others have told him how stupid i think it was. it was not only intentional, but he thinks it was "fun." :S

true. true. but i actually know the kid in question... and though he is a friend, i and many others have told him how stupid i think it was. it was not only intentional, but he thinks it was "fun." :S

And he thought it was cool. I really thought he was going in since his main continued to snivel forever. I counted a total of 5 seconds from slider down to flare.

got the video? SOunds interesting

Dude, I saw the video - that guy was, I don't know what. At 1100', the reason I know it was 1100', he looked at his altimeter and if thats not bad enough, he waved off. I thought he was going to bounce.

Besides the MrBill I think that the low pulls almost have to take the award for second stupidest activity at Rantoul 2004 :S

I have video of the cutaway on the 1st Sat morning from the person who bag locked then hummed it down, trying to get stable... or at least thats the story I heard. Would upload it, but I have no way to get it from my ancient camera to a computer.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Low pull contests out of the helicopter when low clouds postponed jet day in '99.

When you can see somebody's fingers as they reach for the hackey, they're too low.

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.