SkydiveNFlorida

Are you on it with logging your jumps?

When I was last at Perris, they wanted to see my logbook. I walked over to square 1, bought a log book, "logged" two "jumps", signed them myself, and presented it. They accepted it without a second question.

It's just dumb.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Point well taken - I think optimally USPA would charge a dollar or two more and print a photograph of the License holder & let that stand as proof...

I just got my A license in Australia and we have Photographs. So this is not the case in USA? I think its good but im only new so bleh!

One of my friends gave up loggin when he was at about 750 jumps. Now recently taken up the sport after a few years off, I think he regrets it because he would be well over 1000 jumps and is starting to go for instructor ratings.

When I was last at Perris, they wanted to see my logbook. I walked over to square 1, bought a log book, "logged" two "jumps", signed them myself, and presented it. They accepted it without a second question.

It's just dumb.

That's more than dumb, that's hilarious. That's the kind of stupid I was talking about.

Ooops, gotta go. It's time for the DZ Christmas party. My wife just came downstairs in a red dress, looking like a million bucks. See ya.

I used to be the most anal retentive log book keeper in the universe. I wrote novels about every skydive, attached pictures, etc. That lasted about 400 jumps or so. I have great log books now that read like scrapbooks (and are hilarious at some points), but I've just not kept up with it anymore.
reply]
I used to be the same way. I've had some people ask me if I was writing a BOOK when filling in my logbook! I would write in after each jump if I had the time. Nowadays, I just make a note of what kind of jump it was as well as the freefall time, and usually do it at the end of the day or after I get back home. After I got my D license, someone told me I didn't have to get someone to sign off each jump anymore so I stopped asking around, except for special jumps like state or world records or milestone jumps, or if I met someone famous in skydiving... two notable signatures include Mike McGowan and Lew Sanborn.

Blue Skies
Billy

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

(Not neccessarily directed at you Angela, but...)

My goodness, and here I thought a lot of skydivers were whiners because they were expected to get a license!

(It usually takes me longer to find my reading glasses than to make the entry.)

I gave up on "official" (expensive) logbooks long ago. I just get a 99 cent spiral notebook and use one line per jump.

So how long can it take to write a jumper number, date, airport, altitude and jump type (so you can go back and figure out how much freefall time if you ever want one of those Wings awards), and aircraft?

Gee, if you use one notebook per year you don't even need to write the year each jump!

Gee, if you make all your jumps on one day at one drop zone you don't even need to repeat those entries!

6270 12/17 VLA C208 14K Tan
6271 C182 4K CRW
6271 C208 14K 10way

[sarcasm]

Oh god, do I have to write more?!!!!
Oh, my hand is getting a cramp!!
God, this is such a hassle!!!
Whaaaaa...

[/sarcasm]

I'll pretty much guarantee to you that if your log your jumps you will be very glad you did in 30 or 40 years. If you don't log them, you will wish you had. Write down stuff about the trip, the day, and the people, not just the jump.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

That is what I do, but I do have a "real" logbook, you know the one I'm talking about, with the little square for each jump. Well instead of one square per jump, I put in one day or one of my trips per square. I also have a U.S.A. map and put a star on it at the DZ that I've jumped at.

Because I have a pro-track, most times after I've returned from a skydiving trip I have to sit down with the pro-track, pen and log book in hand.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I use my neptune to keep track of my jumps, then try and remember what I did at the end of the weekend. If I can remember that's great, if not, just the numbers are good for me.
I lost a pro-track last year because I took it out of my helmet during a wind hold during the day to log, then stuffed it in my pocket and ran out in the landing area to catch a tandem. Lucky for me a friend of mine borrowed a metal detector 3 months later and found it, still functional! (I ended up trading him for his dytter)

Actually, I write down jumps in my planner, more because of all the students I am involved with, a lawyer advised to, just in case. And yes, I have been asked to see a logbook at several west coast dropzones. It was easy having my planner with me, although, total jump numbers and time aren't in there, they were more than satisfied with what I had.
blue skies,

art

i do keep up with numbers and make quick notes if something special happened on that particular jump. For example I have a special sign if my landing was not pretty so looking back I have found out that it is about 1 to 100 ratio. It got better after canopy control class I took about a year ago.;)

A few years ago I went to a boogie at Perris, whipped out my D license, and the guy asks to see my log book. I tell him "It's at home." He called my home DZ to aks them if I was really a skydiver.

I was in Airborne school at Ft. Benning.

I took the weekends off to go skydiving. Well I didn't bring my gear since I could not store it, and I didn't bother to bring any USPA material since that was seen as "Bad".

So some guys from the Silver Wings loan me a Jump Suit, and an MP officer loans me a rig (1997 US team rig) and I show up at Thomaston.

Well, they ask to see my USPA card. I don't have it, and at Zhills they could go on line and lok for it, so I thought they could. They either didn't want to, or could not.

They ask to see my Logbook...Well I didn't have it.

Yeah, I know I was stupid, but I thought it would be easy.

So I ask them to call Zhills and they will know me and will vouch for me...They will not do that either.

I tell them I will unpack and repack the rig and do a coach jump....They are not good with that idea either.

So now I'm kinda screwed.

The manifester says she will ask the DZO what if anything can be done.

He comes up and says that they can't let me jump since I can't prove it, and they can't let me jump until I can prove it.

As I am really disappointed I look down and see a Parachutist Magazine.

Not just any Parachutist mag..But one with a face shot of me on the cover in freefall.

I pick it up and say "Well thats me on the cover". And the description about the cover had my full name listed as well.

He looks at the cover, looks at me, looks back at the cover, back at me....Looks kinda startled, back at me, back at the cover, flips it open and reads the description....Shrugs and puts me on load 3.B|
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I log every jump at the end of the day.
I "try" to get the folks that were on the jump to sign as long as they have not left yet or anything.

I only write notes on the jump if there was a significant feature of that jump that I wanted to remember.
__

My mighty steed

I hit the point that I log in blocks at the end of a weekend. My last entry went something like this

Jump 330-329
Date: 12/11/04
FF Time: Various
Total Time to date: 5:30:27 (from pro track)
Gear: S2 170
Alt: Various
Description: Various 10 to 12 ways with Doc Mike, KB, Jim, Ron, Steve…

As I change the types of jumps I’m doing from say 12 way to 1 on 1 coaching I change the block of entries.
If I do a special jump such as a friends 500th I log it by itself.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

***I pick it up and say "Well thats me on the cover". And the description about the cover had my full name listed as well.

He looks at the cover, looks at me, looks back at the cover, back at me....Looks kinda startled, back at me, back at the cover, flips it open and reads the description....Shrugs and puts me on load 3.B|

LMAO, that's too cool. :D

i got about 900 jumps i need to log and get signed. any volenteers???????

So you're telling us you have not logged since your 92nd jump? If you ever have any desire to become an instructor of any sort you had better get with the program. While it's true that some people could give a rats ass about teaching, more often than not they are going to regret not having logged at least 500 (and at least six hours of freefall).

Since I am still very new to the sport, every one of my log book entries reads like a short story. One sunny afternoon in DeLand, one of the instructors asked me what I was writing and looked at my log book and commented on how long each entry was. He told me that he puts 3 months worth of jumps in the same amount of space! :o He showed me his log book and sure enough, he was right! There was about three months worth of dates scribbled on one page each jump only noting the type of jump it was. He said that the longer you jump, the smaller the log book entries will become! :)

Since I am still very new to the sport, every one of my log book entries reads like a short story. One sunny afternoon in DeLand, one of the instructors asked me what I was writing and looked at my log book and commented on how long each entry was. He told me that he puts 3 months worth of jumps in the same amount of space! :o He showed me his log book and sure enough, he was right! There was about three months worth of dates scribbled on one page each jump only noting the type of jump it was. He said that the longer you jump, the smaller the log book entries will become! :)

Man, i'm liking the idea of logging many jumps at once. I think i'll just use one box per weekend like many are doing, that should save me some writing (which I hate!).

-A