Skyliving_Dave

skydiving magazines

Hey guys, I noticed you guys over the pond have a couple of mags to read; Skydiving and the USPA mag. In the UK we get the BPA magazine but that's it. I guess with only 5000-ish skydivers in the country there isn't a market for more. Problem is, it comes out only every 2 months and I'm generally done reading it a couple of hours after it arrives.

I need more! I figured there'd be a lot of cool stuff in the US mags, some different perspectives and all that. Would it be worth getting them shipped over here? A year of Skydiving is $28, which seems good, a year of Parachutist is $47, which is quite a bit more, but wouldn't break the bank.

What do you guys reckon who read them? Are they worth it? Which one is best?

--------------------------------------------------

'Everybody needs a mate called Dave'

As a relatively new jumper, both magazines will be fun for you. After a few years in the sport, they now (IMO) are both are pretty lame reads. In fact, I'd give up the magazine with my USPA membership for as little as a couple bucks discount on my yearly dues - the mag is worth that little to me.

We are a very self-important group and it really comes across in those two magazines every single month after month after month.

I did read an Aussie skydiving magazine once. It was hilarious and they made fun of everybody in the sport. I'd like to get that one. It was a joy to read. I wish I could remember the name.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The only thing I use Parachutist for is to flip through, look at the pics and get some updates on the organization.

Skydiving is a MUCH better magazine.

Hell, DZ.com rivals both of them for information on whats going on and pics and such, but you have to sift through a lot of static to find it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hmm, sounds like Skydiving is the better choice, especially as I'm a student and it costs a jump ticket less ;)

It did occur to me that I could find out just as much online, but I guess that's not the point. It's good to read something on paper every now and then, and there is a lot of static (good word for it) on here. Nice to read stuff that is not in minute chunks interspersed with smilies, typos, in-jokes and opinions. Don't get me wrong, I love it really!

Thanks for the help :)

Cool, I just ordered a year of skydiving online :)
Cost me $28 which is about £14.60 in real money. I skipped the option of airmail for $19 more, I don't mind being a month behind the times! Funnily enough, I also decided not to take up their kind offer of FedEx-ing it to me for the paltry sum of $620 (no typo!)

Blues...

I get the BPA magazine so I can keep up on my buddies over there. Leslie does a great job with that mag.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Damn FlyAngel2 you are fast: Is the BPA magazine available overseas?

What do you mean fast?

If I'm getting the mag and I live here in the states, I guess it's available for overseas;) I set my order up with Leslie when I saw her one time in Florida. Just gave her my address and some cash.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Umhhh....oops, how about fast fingers? No wait, scratch that, how about....oh forget it. You beat me with your post. No wait, I didn't mean that either...

:D:DI'm guessing you should quit while you are ahead.

I did read an Aussie skydiving magazine once. It was hilarious and they made fun of everybody in the sport. I'd like to get that one. It was a joy to read. I wish I could remember the name.

The only Australian skydiving magazine is the ASM (Aust. Skydiver Magazine). I'm not sure if you'de have to subscribe through the APF or Suzie McEvoy at Toogoolawah (Suzie puts the whole thing together), probably try the APF first.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Well, being a USPA member I get Parachutist - or rather I should get it. I never recieved December or February. And April's isn't here yet...

Skydiving is a way better magazine for Info, but it goes yellow and grubby faster. I think it's time of true value was prior to the internet.
These days you can find everything here anyway.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

In 1989 Bill Ottley invited me to Washington. He's a fan of the Fixed Object Journal, the BASE magazine I was doing, and he wanted me to be the next editor of PARACHUTIST.

He picked me up at the airport in a too flamboyant old Cadillac convertible and gave me the rube's tour. By the time we passed the 600-foot Washington Monument I'm sitting on the leading edge of the trunk when Bill says, "Don’t even think about it."

He owns a nice four story brownstone and there's an elevator and four apartments. I meet the neighbors, all young single male stockbrokers. We drink and watch the BASE video he asked me to bring. We talked about a lot of things. And I asked him how he did it?

When I first joined the USPA in 1975 they didn't know where the money for the next meeting was going to come from. In just a few years after taking over the Exec Dir position the USPA is now worth about 3 million in cash and real estate.

"I've a Harvard MBA," he told me, "President Bush (the older one) was my classmate and all my friends are in power now. I can do anything I want."

I slept fitfully that night . . .

The next morning I arrived at USPA headquarters in Alexandria. Bill's office is adorned with pictures the biggest is a three foot by four foot shot of his El Cap launch, a jump he did during the short legal season. I mentioned thanks for leaving us flapping in the wind, but he countered with that was the board's decision.

PARACHUTIST was still done in cut and paste style and one of my duties would be to move it to computers. He offered me thirty five thousand a year and I asked for forty. He countered with 38 thousand and I turned him down.

When he asked why, I told him PARACHUTIST is a house organ and an ad well. If the XYZ canopy company comes out with piece of crap we have to say so before the AD comes out, no matter how much they advertise.

That was the deal breaker.

He showed me the books; he showed my how much PARACHUTIST figured into the bottom line of the USPA. But, I turned him down again because between the time he invited me to interview and the time I got there, I was told I had cancer. I didn't want to be the shortest tenure editor in USPA history.

As it turned out, it was the biggest mistake of my life, since I didn't die.

And if anyone should ask me again . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

The only Australian skydiving magazine is the ASM (Aust. Skydiver Magazine). I'm not sure if you'de have to subscribe through the APF or Suzie McEvoy at Toogoolawah (Suzie puts the whole thing together), probably try the APF first.

It depends on how long ago he read the mag, prior to the ASM, Toogoolawah produced their own rag called "Rambling On", that was much less serious than the ASM is.:)I read a copy with a pic of Ben Nordcamp as a young guy in it, he's change a little:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?