Orange1

What is your favourite part of skydiving?

Seen a couple of comments about a canopy 'just being a means to get safely to the ground'. I love flying my canopy (even though I still have loads to learn about doing it), and was just wondering what the average dz.commer thinks

... assuming that no-one's favourite part is packing :P i haven't put that as an option
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I am just getting started but so far I am really in love with controlling the parachute. Of course I have only done it with the help of an instructor strapped to my back but we will see how much fun it is when I do my first solo jump.

Freefall is still a little scary to me, but I'm sure I will get used to it.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

This is actually a really good question. However, I don't think I can answer in so general terms. There are several parts of the skydive that are highlights for me, but don't ask me to prioritize.

The Exit:

When I sit on the step and prepare for my exit I really feel alive. The second where I make the decision and leave the plane is a culmination of a lot of preparation and excitement. "Will my dive plan work?". I simply love that moment.

Falling:

The freefall is adrenaline as well as pure old-fashioned good fun. Nothing like hanging in front of a buddy with a huge grin.

Flying:

Here the focus shifts from perfomance to relaxation. I could just hang up there forever (OK, maybe I should go paragliding). Is there anything like enjoying the view while flying a smooth pattern?

Landing:

Oh well. I'm still a newbie, so every landing is different. But I must say, I do just love it, when I manage to time my flare to bring the canopy to a stop at exactly the right altitude, so I can just put my feet down and start setting the half brakes :)
In summary: I couldn't answer your poll. There are too many different things going on for me during a skydive. Perhaps in a couple of years... :)
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

ya know I actually do like packing, but I would never put it down as my favorite part of skydiving and would never want to be a packer. I personally love both the freefall and the canopy ride.

Same here. Packing gives me time to chill and inspect my gear. My all time favorite thing is jumping out of the plane. I just love it.

I agree with the exit. Standing in the door, while checking separation of the group before you, while checking the current spot, with the wind in your face, and the ground oh so far away, big assed noisy turbine six feet in front of you. Definately feel hyper-aware or hyper-sensitive in that door. Feels like being alive.

But if I hit my sit tomorrow, I will have to change this to the actual freefall portion.:P

I also enjoy with the snivel ends...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

basically I'm addicted to every part of skydivinig but lately I'm having more fun at my landings. Am trying to swoop with my front risers but only had one 'perfect' landing which resulted in a long swoop inches above the ground B|.....Am trying to repeat it but still have little problem with timing and judging altitudes but I'm prefering canopy time at the moment above freefall time....Call me crazy :S:$:)

:)None of the above.....:P

while I DO love the canopy time,,, and the time from exit to opening...
My MOST favorite thing about the sport... is the PEOPLE !!! people!!!! right???
what fun would it be at ALL ?? :S to skydive all by yourself....
I Love my longtime jumping friends, fellow staff members, and assorted "yahoos" whose smiling faces I often see while boarding... and i also love meeting new people who are visiting, or who come out to enjoy a tandem skydive.....Hell I even get a kick out of their "whuffo entourages" most of whom are dedicated to STAYING on the Ground!!!! ( good for US,,, that leaves more open air space for ME !!!:D:ph34r:B|;)... but in a word,,, it's the people....

Agreed. I love the smiles on new jumpers faces, the look on tandems faces as the door opens, the stoke when they land, the whoops and yells from my mates after asick freefly or flappy flock. But i could still swoop my canopy by myself all day! B|

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

When your swoop becomes 50% of your skydive fun, you are so hooked.B|

An awesome landing can slavage a bad mood from a skydive gone funnel...
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka