i know its a stupid idea, but has anyone tried to "tow" their friend with an open main?

anyone tried to "tow" their friend on their boat/truck with an open main attached to them? Im figuring it would probably be a better bet that someone has tried this on water, but then you can never assume anything. Not that i have much of an idea that this is even something remotely feasible, but i figured if a few skydivers got together and had access to a speed boat, someone might have tried it over the years.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Not that i have much of an idea that this is even something remotely feasible, but i figured if a few skydivers got together and had access to a speed boat, someone might have tried it over the years.

Yes it is called para-sailing ;)

See here
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

My uncle tried it in the mid 70's at Coldwater Ontario, down the run way behind a pickup truck, result 20 feet of altitude followed by a broken ankle.

They and PCs work fine if you're going dead straight the problem comes when they start to turn and take a dive.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

I believe accuracy was sometimes practiced this way around here- a cutaway system on the chest strap connected to a few hundred feet of rope connected to a car. You'd get towed up, release the rope and land on the tuffet. One danger was apparently the rope- if it didn't have some slack in it when you released it, it could recoil and mess up your face.

And there was also a more serious accident at one of our dropzones, when some people tried it without the release system- the towed guy just tied the end around his chest strap, which somehow got loose when he was in the air. The car had almost stopped at that time, but when the driver noticed his friend waving frantically at thim he thought that he wanted some more altitude and stepped on it again, pulling him sideways into the ground.

Oh, and last summer, I watched our pilot being towed around the airfield on a paraglider, although we didn't dare take him too high. We'd have a hard time finding a replacement for him.:D

Heard about people trying it. Heard about people hurting themself trying it. Heard of people killing themself trying it. You will be close to the ground, and the ground is what kills/hurt you.

Think of how we aerodynamics will work when beeing towed. A parachute is not designed to work with the forces and wind directions you will get. As a result it might be VERY hard to control.

Please don't do this. Over water is probably the safest. Still I can imagine some interesting results if the parachute crashes into the water and the boat want's to continue ahead...:S

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yep... It's been done. There are some pictures on this site in fact. I don't know where, and haven't a clue what to search for or I'd find you a link.

I've also seen footage on real tv where the person who was being towed, ended up flying into the ground with out dying.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Dan Piynter can give you personal advice, he banged himself up VERY badly doing it.

The loading that occurs on the canopy s it's being towed is different than when it's freeflying and causes the nose to tuck under and fold up.

Not something you'd like or survive at low altitudes.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

We did this at a local DZ (not saying which one) last year!!!

Yeah... hmmm....Guess I can't really put anyone's name on here either. But I will say that the initals of the person doing the canopy flying is the same as the DZ. If you are familiar with things, you may figure it out.

Anyway, it worked for the most part. He was towed, via pickup truck, around the landing area during a cloudy day. No worries, it worked. We had a doctor nearbye (mostly for moral support) and a high ranking member of the USPA simply shaking his head back-and-forth throughout the process.

The act could have gotten ugly but we decided to use a SEMI elliptical instead of a FULL one. :D When they were all getting things setup, I was totally against it. I mean, seriously, this could have been ugly. Our canopy pilot seemed to have a very hard time steering himself around. I thought sure he was going to hook or do something stupid.

Although, looking back on it IS kinda funny.

I've seen footage of someone attempting this in the bed of a pickup.

Let's just say it didn't go very well, and that I was really surprised that he walked away from it.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

in the late 70's we were pretty successful launching a 5 cell strato star,, and then a 7 cell strato cloud...I bet maybe 6 or 8 of us did it,, in the course of the summer...
It was over Lake Ontario and again over a couple of the Finger Lakes,, of Central NY...
We used the normal harness container,,( reserve and all ) , onto which we rigged a 3 ring release,,, set up... attached at the chest strap...( this is one of the reasons why "the Relative Workshop is UNinsured!!:o:D ) anyway... we launched off dry ground with a boat that had some horses,,, and a spotter on each "chord" of the canopy ,, to stabilize the take off and insure that air was rammed into the front of the cells...
Some guys tried getting up,, from water skis but we later determined it was better for the canopy pilot to "run like Hell" as the boat began it's acceleration . Once airborne and once the line was not under serious tension,,,the pilot could pull the 3 ring release,,, and then hope he/she would make it back to the grassy backyard where we started.....
We were lucky that there were no injuries,,, I flew once under that 5 cell,,made it back to the lawn, and once under my 7 cell cloud...... The canopy pilot would pop some brakes,,,, ( evenly of course ) as the take off was completed,, and it would cause the canopy to climb,,,,and then simply tried to stay square in the air... The guys who drove the boat,,, were very considerate of the seriousness of the matter,, and did not over do it,, on the throttle,,, and only did gentle easy turns... Even so.. I had a real hard landing under the 7 cell,,,, over the water... As the boat completed a 180... I started sliding off to the side,,, I countered with opposite brake,, but was in a sliding descent...
I picked my legs up,, and "smacked " the water with the back of my right leg and with the right side of my butt... it was a good spanking,,, and people on the shore SAW it and then a couple of seconds later,, HEARD it :o :P B| ..hahahah.. I had a bruise the size of a football, on the back of my leg but otherwise was ok....( I was a bit tougher then than i am now...:):$:ph34r: ).. We did wear a skier's life jacket under our harness,,, :P
" to facilitate any recover operations" hahaha[:/]
I DID decide however that that would be the last of my parasailing "adventures"....
" Get away with it a few times,,,, and soon you build up the silly idea that you'll get away with it , all the time."... I knew better
and so i quit while I was ahead...
" Anything for the entertainment and amusement of my friends".......
Never have tried a "conventional" parasail ride... though my daughter did once,,, In a tandem set-up,, with one of her friends while on vacation,,, and said she loved the view.....B|;)

One more story to add:

We used a Para-Commander and it worked well for the guys. Then a lightweight young lady wanted to try and she did. After climbing up, the canopy did a cartwheel just like a kite with no tail. She missed the ground a foot or two and we never tried it again.

I don't think water would help very much. I remember when Delta Two's were popular, a couple of guys decided it would be fun to spin them down into the water. The results were fatal.

Ed

It's been done. Sometimes successfully and, as you can see from some of the posts, sometimes with not so graceful outcomes.

Saw someone attempt this last year and he ended up getting a helicopter ride out of it to the local trauma center.

If you're at a DZ and see something like this taking place I have the following suggestion: Pull out your cellphone, dial "91" and get ready to dial the last "1"

If you want to try this - get instruction! Towing is a common way to launch paragliders, but there is an unrecoverable condition called lockout that means you _will_ hit the ground very hard. The only way to deal with this is to chop the tow line or release tension (i.e. stop towing the person.)

Emerald coast skydiving center in alabama does this on a regular basis from what they have told me ( I have not actually seen it) might wanna give them a call to find out what kind of equipment they use and how. And I do not think you asked a stupid question. There were some really good answers on here as to why it should not be tried and that is the purpose of this forum. it allows us to learn without the ouch! I personally have never consider doing this and now never will
thanx gang craig

anyone tried to "tow" their friend on their boat/truck with an open main attached to them? Im figuring it would probably be a better bet that someone has tried this on water, but then you can never assume anything. Not that i have much of an idea that this is even something remotely feasible, but i figured if a few skydivers got together and had access to a speed boat, someone might have tried it over the years.

Hey y'all watch this

Chris

It is a STUPID idea with a Square. This resulted in a fatality last year in Washington. They were "towing" behind a truck. Very sad.... I cant say enough this is not a godd idea.

The idea goes along OK as long as the canopy is in the wind but if it gets turned out a little too much before you correct you will get driven into the ground and hurt. It happens FAST and it is not like if the canopy turns you fly that way, there is an attachment point and the canopy will pivot off of it and fly straight into the ground...

I was very against this idea before the fatality I noted above and it stems from an experience from 10 years ago. It was again only reinforced by the fatality last year. The time 10 years ago we were doing it with a 7-cell and were having a great time. I had just gotten off of my "flight" and a buddy went up. We had the wrong type of rope and a huge gust hit with him at the "top", the rope broke and the canopy colapsed with the release of tension. The gust was probably 25-30 and he flew/fell backwards trying/fighting to inflate the canopy. Just by luck it partialy inflated just before he hit about 75-100 yards away. It did some real damage though and to be honest he was very lucky to be alive. He was in the ICU for almost a week and then took over a year to get better. Broken leg, hip on one side back dammage and broken shoulder and arm on the other side. He had hit in a bit of a rollish plf so that is probably what saved his life.

I mention this and note the severity of what can happen by doing this. I am 100% against this and hope the two incidents I note never happen again. Bored skydivers and a bad weather day can be a bad combination....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

like billvon said, it's commonly used for paragliders, but it must be done by/with experimented crew. Don't try it at home with a 15ft rope behind your truck. BAD IDEA.
like 15 years ago, many paraglider fatalities due to these kind of tries... behind cars, boats, trees etc...
if there is a nice little wind, you can try running down the hill and reinvent paragliding. (check the namibia part in Soul Flyers)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM