Dumpster

Your Skydiving Goals for 2005?

Ron, I'm with you. That is my number one rule this year, don't die!

Since the year isn't over with, I guess I better knock on wood till Dec. 31st.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Never had any formal goals, but....

- Finally got my 'A' after about jump#80
- Finally got my own rig, even if it is old (still works fine - now I just want new since I'm jealous of everyone else who has new)
- Have done close to 2x as many jumps as next highest year (2003 - 26, currently at 54 for '05).
- Been part of a sucessfull 11-way (or maybe 12)
- Turned 10 or 11 pts on a 3-way once.
- Did two CReW bumps (one planned, the other not, but not scared since the other person was experienced)

My goal has been to wingsuit since i started in Jan 04'.
I got to complete my goal at the WFFC with 11 flights, and I got my own suit last month. So i guess I completed this years goal..

next year......... figure out head down and go to base camp.............
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

- Take another canopy control class (can't take too many or learn too much)

class got cancelled :(

- Downsize to a 150

since class got cancelled, decided to wait another year

- Get more tunnel time

accomplished - total tunnel time is currently 5 hours and 10 minutes B|

- 150-200 jumps

nope...life (aka finances) dicated otherwise (especially after tunnel time :$ but it was worth every penny :))

- Attend a CRW beginner camp

won't fly a lightening 120 so have put this on hold for awhile until I am comfortable flying such a small canopy

- Get that whole backflying and sitflying thing figured out :D

:D yeah right....sitflying has gotten better but backflying - without thinking or realizing what I'm doing, I'm on my belly instantaneously :D

Think that's about it for now. Who knows...maybe a coach's rating...more jumps...jump at other dz's...whatever comes my way....Have fun and play. B|

Coach's rating - accomplished
jump at other dz's - accomplished

I guess I can live with that. B|
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

1) Do a lot more BASE jumps (and not die or mess myself up).

1.1) Do a 'B' so that I can get my BASE number.
1.2) Get my 2nd BASE rig functonal and online.
1.3) Start doing gainers, rollovers and tards at the bridge.
1.4) Freefall something in the 200 foot range.
1.5) Possibly do a terminal cliff BASE jump.
1.6) Possibly do a wingsuit BASE jump.

I didn't do as many BASE jumps as I thought I would do this time last year. I did get my B though to complete my BASE number requirement (I'm BASE 1023) and have a 2nd BASE rig online. But no gainers, no ultra low freefalls (I did set a personal freefall low of 270 feet in this time), no terminal cliffs and no wingsuit BASE jumps for this camper.

2) Do more Ground Launching (and not die or mess myself up).

2.1) Buy a specialized GLX Ground Launching canopy (not cheap).
2.2) Compete in the few blade running events that exist.
2.3) Ground Launch off of a certain cliff BASE exit point in Moab.

I didn't do as much Ground Launching as I would have liked to do. I did some in CO, but found out that I needed a bigger GL canopy than what I used in CA. And now that I'm in BC (and all the hills are full of trees), I wonder when/if I'll be able to GL again without planning a trip out to CA. And since I'm not an active GLer, I decided not to spend the money on a GLX canopy since those things are ultra expensive (3k USD for the canopy).

3) I likely won't be skydiving as much as I have in the past. But I would like to hit 1000 skydives in 2005 (I'm less than 200 jumps away from this goal). Maybe at next year's Eloy Holiday Boogie, maybe before then. It will all depend on my financial situation and how much BASE jumping and Ground Launching I do.

3.1) Do rear riser swoops (it'll happen soon if I Ground Launch a lot).
3.2) Not die or mess myself up swooping.

Well this is where I totally did the opposite of what I thought I would do. Not only did I do those 200 skydives to hit the 1000 mark, I did another 350+ on top of those 200 jumps (I guess being unemployed with some savings helped). I can swoop with my rears and I'm very happy with my progression as a swooper this last year (doing 500+ jumps in the year didn't hurt). Oh and while I did suffer many minor swoop related injuries this year, I managed to stay away from the hospital and didn't manage to kill myself ... yet. But as others have mentioned here, the year is not over year and it looks like we may actually have some jumpable conditions here this coming weekend in the wet Pacific Northwest.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My goals are/were:

1) Not die or get injured - Check and plan to keep it that way.

2) Finish AFF and get my A lic. - Not only finished AFP but also got my B

3) Have enough jumps to get to A -- Updated to trying to complete 100 jumps b/f the end of the year.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

- 150-200 jumps

nope...life (aka finances) dicated otherwise (especially after tunnel time :$ but it was worth every penny :))...

What you need is a Sugar Daddy...PM for detailed info.
;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

- 150-200 jumps

nope...life (aka finances) dicated otherwise (especially after tunnel time :$ but it was worth every penny :))...

What you need is a Sugar Daddy...PM for detailed info.
;)

:$:D:$
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

1. Be safe - i was
2. Do at least 332 jumps so i can make 1000 - 411
3. Participate in the Women's VWR in June - did
4. Participate in the World Record - that's more of a dream though i've got the invitation - no, but i need some goals for the future too
5. Start FF coaching in Hungary - sort of
6. Buy a new rig - spent all my money on jumping so no

If I can do all of these it will be an absolutely amazing year but even without the World Record I'll be very happy.

Take risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping

I'd only done 3 jumps and not discovered dz.com when this thread started. At that stage i think my only goal would have been to learn to arch well enough to reach my first freefall :P (accomplished, and a teeny bit more besides)

skimming the other posts it is interesting to see how many people have exceeded their goals, while others seem to have dropped out of the sport (...or they haven't updated their profiles...)

when does the 2006 goals thread start? :D i may be a tad more ambitious for the upcoming year!
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

My goals were to be part of Deaf World Record (www.deafskydivers.org) for this year, which essentially were:

- Get A-License. Done.
- Get B-License. Done.
- Do 100 jumps. Done.
- Own all my gear. Done.
- Do Night Jump. Done.
- Do Water Jump. Not Done. It was too cold.
- Do 20-way. Done but incomplete (though I docked).
- Break the Deaf World Record. Almost. Was on several attempts but had to be removed from the actual attempt with a few others (reduced to a 16-way)

Not sure what will be up next year, but I'm now itching after the Canadian Record 80-way 2006. (I wonder if I can afford to quickly gain enough experience to be a part of it! Hours of tunnel time, and a winter trip to Eloy? Hmmm...)

My goal was to not break myself.

I have been somewhat successful, although my cocyx may disagree due to an incident on jump 32...

I tried to mess myself up a couple of other times as well, but my awesome PLF skills just wouldn't let it happen:P
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

1. Actually stop dreaming about it and DO IT. - done.B|

2. Do a training progression - I started this around the first of the summer , however , thanks to a few issues I had with a DZ owned by our friends Ben and Cary and their notorious "no refund" policy.... I basically only attempted and completed level 1 and 2 IAF . The people there were awesome and although I felt the instructor did a fantastic job ,I was very unclear about adjusting the landing pattern when it didn't work out exactly as explained (no one could explain this to me). I got hurt on the 1st jump due to not being able to hear commands , the instructor unable to hear me screaming that my legs were stuck and I couldn't hear him, being a bit confused about what to do while knowing my feet were seconds away from being broken if we didn't slow down and just finally taking things into my own hands and looking ahead ... using the hanger's bathroom door as a frame of reference as I did the brake / flare myself to reduce speed / land (since I was unable to lift my legs out of the way). I didn't realize I had sprained my neck & back , so I went on to pass level 2 during the sunset load after deciding that my instructor would yell into my ear.....the following week I found myself in the ER with an ex military jumper as a doc explaining how the opening shock of the 2nd jump likely made things worse. I realized that after level 3 , I was going to exit with one jumpmaster and still didn't feel I had a clue what I was doing. (Call me paranoid , but when someone marks exit off your dive flow and says it will "confuse you" for AFF 4.... I knew that I at least wanted the feeling of leading us out of the plane ... just to know how it felt with that safety net before it was for real. I also felt rushed and the main reason I wanted to go the IAF route was to get some canopy basics down in case the raido failed later....I just wanted to cover as many bases as I could.)

I became somewhat upset about all this to say the least as I looked back on the chain of events. The altimiter I used on the first jump rocked so violently I had trouble reading it....only to be told that it was the "best they had." then told that if my feet were trapped like that again , there was nothing they could do. I'd paid $900 up front and done 2 jumps so I asked for a refund of the balance (even if it meant being charged full price for those 2 jumps) , only to be told of this unknown policy against refunds. They lied to me repeatedly and even after I got the Atty. General and BBB involved , they lied to them also. I wound up out almost a grand with a final letter saying I was welcome to come back anytime within 2 years to finish at a place I'd said I didn't feel safe.

3. A little lighter in the wallet , but much wiser , I'm searching for another DZ to just start over in 2006 , do one tandem to get oriented, research, spend more time learning about their training methods and then go straight into the traditional AFF sometime next spring starting with AFF 1. I hope to make a trek to a wind tunnel sometime between the tandem and the FJC.

I'm VERY excited about this prospect , but I still wish there was a way to get some of that hard earned money back those bastards stole from me.

4. I've started an exercise program that incorporates strength training, flexibility, and cardio.... not so much to do with skydiving , but it's making a huge difference in other areas that I know will carry over.

5. I'm still reading as much as I can and again taking the expensive piece of wisdom I bought and just looking skyward for the spring.;)

This cat's not a quitter.
~He who looks outside his own heart dreams, he who looks inside his own heart awakens - Carl Jung~

My Space

Damn - Hard to beleive a thread I started almost a year ago is still going - And still on topic, too!

When I started the thread I was healing up a broken tib/fib from a botched landing. I was one with the recliner for about two months, and gained about 20 pounds.

Let's see how I did - -

-Finish healing and get back in the air. - Done - Back in the plane on Safety Day
-Take Scott Miller's canopy course. (This has been on my list the last two years, now it's time I make it a higher priority.) - Signed up for the course at the DZ only to have it cancelled
-Go to Orlando for an hour or so in the tunnel and visit Z-hills. - Lack of funds/vacation time.
-Compete in the MWSL 4-way league. (I've already gotten invites to join teams!) Nope
-Coach newbies like crazy. - Yep - Did some coaching but not as much as I'd have liked to.
-Earn Static line and/or AFF ratings. - Nope
-Make at least 200 jumps. - Closer to 100 jumps
-Attend at least 1 "big" boogie. - Nope

Still a good year - That first jump after the injury was a little nerve-wracking, but I got back on the horse.

Main reasons for not reaching many of my goals was lack of funds (kids eat alot) lack of vacation time (burned alot of that ahead of time while healing up -) and a change in the household - My son (14) came out to live with us, and since he's not into the DZ scene, but still deserves my attention, my time at the DZ and the amount of effort I put into the sport itself changed. But here's what I did do -

- Started dealing in skydiving gear-
- Visited a new DZ Free Fall Oz skydiving in Ceres, PA - Very groovy place.
Check it out - www.freefallozskydiving.com
- Started playing around with video.
- Purchased two new helmets, a protrack, and assorted other things.

Non-skydiving things:

- Have done some personal growing, mainly getting to know my son all over again. I moved out when he was 4, and now 10 years later, we're living together, and it's been a real positve experience for all involved.
- Decided to change some of the circumstances I'm living under and start moving my life in a slightly different direction. (just getting started with that - It's not going to happen over night.) It's funny though, how sometimes a subtle change in course can cause some very large ripples in the water.
- Finally finished remodeling the kitchen. And I did a damn fine job, I must say!

Haven't even thought about next year - Well, yes I have - But that's a whole other thread!

Cheers!

Easy Does It

From December 2004, my goals were the following:
* Have an injury-free year - almost. ankle injury July 4 weekend.

* Do a balloon jump - Did one on Labor Day;loved it.

* Do a helicopter jump - Done 4 this year.

* Lotz more beach jumps - I've done more beach jumps.

* More freefly jumps with Fabian - he moved away, but is back, so perhaps I can by year end. But I did do 6 freefly coach jumps with PIP at Zhills.

* More Boogies - I think I've attended quite a few boogies this year.

* Perhaps do a BASE jump:Bridge Day - This one I didn't do. Perhaps next year.

One additional goal achieved was getting my C license.

Become a Birdman Instructor.

Guess that means I also have to buy a Birdman Suit!
Another shiny toy!

Hee!
Hee!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I failed!
I worked waaaay too many hours this year (averaging 9 hours per day, 6.5 days per week), for no bonuses and never saved up enough money to buy a wingsuit.
Wroking harder didn't pay off.
Now I will have to find a way to work smarter.

my goals were to basically finish aff before the season ended...and that i did...

and i also squeezed in 2 solo's yesterday...thats it for the season here in the northeast...well..at least for me..its way to dam cold...

my goals for next year are to
1 get my own rig
2 get my a
3 get my b
4 take some canopy control classes
5 start freefly training..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

1. Jump my first rig for the first time.
Done Feb/4.
2. Get better at the who skydiving thing
getting there.
3. Get to a wind tunnel for serious coaching
sort of. Got 30 min. July/2.
4. Learn how to pack well and fast
I can pack, just not fast
5. Make friends with a rigger who will teach me, Learn from that rigger
going to a class in Jan ‘06.
6. Make at least 214 jumps
Done about 227 so far this year, i think my year is done. I'm pulling my gear apart today to send the cypres in for 8yr. I am hoping the next reserve pack will be done by me.
7. Go to Eloy for holiday boogie
Nope
8. Start looking for a job in the industry
Looked. Didn’t work out so well
9. Skydive barefoot
Next year ... DZ is growing grass. I was hoping to when I went to Zhills last weekend, but I chickend out
10. Don’t hurt myself
So far so good
11. Jump at night
Done twice on Nov/18.

2005 is over for me as far as obtaining goals...

I did manage to get these pre-determined things done:
Go to Dublin Boogie
Go to Skyfest
Go to Mountain Boogie
Go to Destin for beach jumps
Get C license
Beat Skinnyshrek at Hold 'Em
Jump 20-way or bigger
Get Falcon Award
Meet and jump with Alana and Justi
Meet and jump with Kelly Fredrickson
Meet and jump with Derek Thomas
Meet and jump with Glenn Crews
Jumped with The_Don
Eat 2 Bounce Burgers in one sitting
Lived to jump another day
Had no cutaways
Did not suffer alcohol poisoning

I won't bother listing the myriad of things that i didn't get done.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239