freakyrat

Travelling With Your Rig

The USPA has posted new guidelines for travelling with your rig on the USPA website today. USPA and the Cypres folks have been working with the TSA since it's inception to reduce the hassle factor for us at the nation's airports. Basically the TSA has run tests on various rig and Computerized AAD combinations without triggering alarms on any of the equipment. The TSA has been working with their screeners also to minimize problems for skydivers travelling with their rigs. A suggestion that along with the Cypres DOT approval letter from the SSK website, print the USPA cover page along the USPA suggestion letter and take it along with your USPA membership card/or FAA Rigger Certificates if applicable with these other support documents with you when you travel. Since my Cypres had to be sent off for 4-yr service, I took some digital pictures of it installed in the rig and of the cutter and computer unit separately and also of the pilot chute spring to take with me when I travel. All of these items I feel will reduce any misconceptions about what they see on x-rays to an absolute minimum.

Chris

That's good to know. Any chance you can post links to those docs, so I/we don't have to search for them on the respective web sites ?

It seems that it might already becoming easier to travel as I just left the San Jose, CA airport with my rig, cypres, and Pro-Track in my rollerboard bag and they didn't even flinch when it went through the x-ray. Although they did swab my laptop for explosive material... [:/]:S

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I am not making this up!

A TSA spokesman said yesterday that in addition to detecting explosives,
the new equipment for inspecting baggage at airports will sound an alarm
if the bag contains...

Cheese
Fruitcake
Meat products

So - if you don't want your gear bag opened by airport security, don't put that cheesy fruitcake in it (or was it a fruity cheesecake?)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A TSA spokesman said yesterday that in addition to detecting explosives,
the new equipment for inspecting baggage at airports will sound an alarm
if the bag contains...

Cheese
Fruitcake
Meat products

Sounds to me like their "new equipment" is really a rather hungry dog...

which begs the question, has anything really changed?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Don't lock your stuff?? I live in the Middle East and it's a 24 hour journey back to FL. Carry on for all my gear isn't really an option (I don't jump a pocket rocket). Rig, helmet, jump suits, skydiving t-shirts, altis, ditters, goggles. What is to keep the airport screeners from ripping off all your gear. It happens already and now they don't want you to secure your baggage. WTF. They need to pre screen when you enter the air hole and if they have a problem snatch you up then. What a bunch of BS. I see alot of personal property getting ripped off in the near future. Oh well guess I better get renters insurance although that won't get me a new rig in time to jump while i'm on vacation.

This planet is fcuked who's got a new one.

I think a good thing to do would be to take a picture of your Cypres (The Computer Unit, Cutter, And Control Unit) the next time it is due for Maintenance or at your next repack. I took some photos of mine while it was out for it's 4-yr maintenance and include them in with the Cypres DOT and USPA letters when I travel so there is no doubt of what the security people are looking at. I also took some of the Pilot Chute Spring which seems to bither some of them also.

Chris

Doug,

where in the M/East are you? I'm in Saudi ...

Have taken gear on and off aircraft into and out of this part of the world for 20 odd years - never had a problem. But always a first time (touch wood - flying w gear Bahrain to UAE next week).

Can you make next weekend, 9, 10 Jan to Umm Al Quwayn in UAE - there's a new Caravan for us to play with ...

Cheers, fergs (also APF)

*** ... what happens if your dwelling goes up in flames -- with your rig inside?

House burning down Procedures:

1. Grab your rig and get it outside into safety.

2. Go back inside and get the computer out.

3. anything else? Oh yeah, better get the wife and kids out too.

Ferg:
Nope can't make it next week end. I'm off to the states for a month. I was down in UAE for Eid but the Caravan wasn't ready. Spent my time at the 7's in the Aggreko stand instead. That was a good time but not near as good as jumping. I cant wait to get out of the the new Caravan what ever it costs. Hope to see all the UAQ crew at the end of Feb.

BTW I'm in Qatar.

Update: Sent my rig out FedEx. Supposed to be there Wednesday. We'll see but at least those TSA buffoons won't be grabbing the handles and ripping my gear off. And I should be able to get to my destination with out 50 questions. It just got so much harder to visit the states. Cost me 200 bucks as well rat bastards.

I just traveled to and from the Eloy boogie with a rig in my suitcase and one as a carry on. I had prepared for possible problems and had the needed docs and cypress info on hand just in case. I never had to use it once. In fact, they spent more time looking at the screen while my jacket was in the machine than when my rig and seperate helmet/altimeter bag went thorough. As for my luggage being unlocked, I was not too happy about that but nothing happened, it was all there and nothing was damaged.

On another note, one thing I did notice that can make traveling easier for the skydiver. When booking your seat, go for one towards the back of the plane. This allows you to get on first which in turn means all of the overhead compartments are empty for you to stow your rig/gear bag. Electronic tickets are the way to go as well. I was able to by pass a HUGE line of people for the electronic kiosk which issued my ticket and allowed me to check my bag in under 10 mins. I also carry my rig in a regular piece of carry on size luggage that has shoulder straps(it's an Eagle Creek bag if your interested). With all of my crap in it, it will not fit through the X-ray machine laying flat so I place it on it's side which in turn means the X-ray machine sees a small cross section of the whole parachute and cypress system. This seems to raise less alarm bells and the technician quickly passes my bag through. That has been my experience so far and i hope it helps some of you out in the future.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I had pretty much the same experience, except my rig was in a T-bag with a single shoulder strap. It looked just like any other carry-on bag. No problems whatsoever. The other rig was in a suit bag.

I had more problems with my shoes than with my luggage.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That is good advice Lou. I had NO time to appropriately pack my rig in a case, so I just carried it on on my back. No problems. Got a seat in the back and stored it up high.

I flew Alaskan, and had absolutely no problems. I booked electronically as well, and check this out. You can check-in the night before your flight on the internet on Alaskan. There is a web checkin baggage checkin area that has NO line when all other lines are miles long. It kicked ass to scoot past all those dummies.B| It gave me my boarding pass online that I printed out and that is what I used to board the plane. No hassles. Go Alaska when you can.

Phoenix Airport was a breeze coming back home, they did not bat an eye at my rig or the weight belt that was in my helmet bag. On the other hand in Atlanta going out there, I had to do alot of fast talking.

According to the TSA head guy, a TSA approval means its allowed to be checked and be on the airplane but does NOT garuntee you to be able to carry it on. They were questioning rather it had an explosive device (the cutter), I basically said, "No, it has no explosive components." And was able to get it passed. The funny thing is I was doing all this talking while they were handleing my teammates rig, at the same time I was having a concurrent conversation with another TSA inspecter detailing where she could find the weight belt to have a look at that. Quite an interesting morning.

And Yeah E-Ticket on Delta rocks. Saves masses amounts of time.
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I