AFFI

Letting go of the door for the LAST time...

As a result of the back surgery there was substantial bone loss leaving a section of the soft tissue beneath without protection of the surrounding vertebrae.

I have healed up pretty nicely, but at deployment time I have found that the comfort is gone – one hard opening can easily snap my spinal column. Frankly, I am scared.

Just thinking about it I miss it....

It’s not worth it anymore, and I thought I would skydive for the rest of my life or my body no longer allowed me to. My body will no longer allow me to, at least to do it in the capacity to make 500+ jumps annually, more in digits of ones, maybe tens and that is to push the non-skydiving days as far as I can stand it and get the occasional stress relieving jump every now and again.

When I think about it I am so lucky to have that, not to mention the most wonderful wife, family and friends supporting me.

I still find myself at the DZ every weekend just to be around it, maybe do a little ground training. I don’t understand why, but I am finding it to be doing me more harm than good – I need to separate myself from it because I am not handling it well – being there.

The hardest part was letting go of the door the first time, now it is letting go of the rest of it, letting go of the most incredible activity and people.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I'm in Alvin as I read this and will be at Spacelend tomorrow thru Monday morning. Will you still come to Skyfest so we can meet? I have someone I'd like you to meet this weekend.

Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You have reached the day we all think about and dread. The day we know we must stop. I don't look forward to it when that day arrrives and I can only hope like you, I know when it has presented itself and that I make the decision to let go for the last time. I am sorry for you loss.

Sounds like you need to be a tunnel instructor now!

That would be a really good idea... if there were any tunnels in Texas :P.

Mykel: sorry to hear you've been forced to retire from the sport. Hope you can keep the happy memories and find something else to fill the hole left in your life.

Rest Mykel. But, just because you *may* let the sport go, doesn't mean you have to leave your friends. We're still here.

I hope you can find a way to at least find your way to the DZ and teach. We need our safety nazi that can break through to some of the "scarier" folks, especially those that may need a "refresher course":P

You are an important part of our DZ. I truly respect your decision....health first. But, don't go away. Please:(

is

The hardest part was letting go of the door the first time, now it is letting go of the rest of it, letting go of the most incredible activity and people.

You may have to let go of the activity, but not the people.

When I think about it I am so lucky to have that, not to mention the most wonderful wife, family and friends supporting me.

Then you have everything.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

So sorry.
Just starting this sport at the tender age of 42. I feel the consequences of my labors every day. I sincerely hope you continue to share your experience in any way that you can. I can also respect that anything less than a complete "cutaway" could be even more unbearable physically or mentally. I hope the best for you,family and friends.
Maybe a little silicone or titanium? I have met a couple of "bionic people that jump"! so to speak.
Hope you find a doc that could help you continue.
Best wishes and blue skies...
I'm fine...crazy people don't know they're crazy...No,Really!

I started jumping at 43... I worry too about how long I will be blessed with jumping.

I always work with the worst case scenario and work my way down.. part of my job. But in this case, you aren't at the worst case.. not yet,, and besides you aren't really letting go of the door...

you are walking into a new room!
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

Hey Mykel I'm sorry to hear that. I still have the entire roll of pictures from Chris Day's tandem day... what fun we all had.
You've contributed much to skydiving since then. :)
I hate playing with injury, it takes away. Hopefully I will have a beer with you at skyfest.

That saddens me, but I understand.

I was around when you started in the sport and watched from a distance as you've grown into a jumper and a person I truly admire and respect.

Whatever way you choose to enjoy your life, I wish you well my friend.:)
Walt

What Ron said; you can let go of the freefall, and make a life which doesn't have a skydiving-sized hole in it, but you'd better keep some of the important people.

You give a lot -- here's a ready-made audience. And you deserve a life which can satisfy you.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Everyone is correct about not having to let go totally - the lifestyle change from being very active to an inactive lifestyle is a difficult transition for me as I am only accustomed to being quite active in life. It will take time to adjust...

Seeing a different Neuro-Surgeon the second week in August. I doubt there will be a magic filled week that changes everything but maybe he will be able to get me out of the extreme pain I have been experiencing – another surgery is inevitable at this point but maybe I will be able to skydive afterwards without being afraid.

Ya’ll are great friends indeed – I am so lucky!

I doubt there will be a magic filled week that changes everything but maybe he will be able to get me out of the extreme pain I have been experiencing

Dont doubt... youve seen miracles before. Trust in God and turn it over to him. In the mean time you have a whole crap load of friends for moral support who think you are not only awesome but inspiring. If you jump again GREAT but if not you have had a great and long run and will always be a part of the hearts that you have touched.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

You already know my thoughts to you..but to add them here I'm so sorry for your situation. And I hope they can do something to alleviate your pain. Please update after your appointment.

More healing thoughts coming your way..

the lifestyle change from being very active to an inactive lifestyle is a difficult transition for me

Can you change the type of activity? Kayaking is fun; hiking (without a pack if necessary) is fun, using a recumbent bicycle, etc.

I know you know that the better overall your muscle tone is, the better you'll feel in general.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Mykel,

I had a great friend who was a competitive clyclist...

one day his back started hurting...

he had multiple back surgeries and couldnt ride at all...

he had such a hard time with it

he felt his life was over...

he was on pain killers every day for 4 years to deal with the pain...

then one day someone reccomended pilates to him and he gave it a shot...

he now rides in excess of 400 mjles a week again...

so dont give up hope brother, the human body is an amazing thing....

and cheers to you for being a great example on this site and passing great words of wisdom onto others

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

someone reccomended pilates to him and he gave it a shot...

Then I should be feeling GREAT, I love pilates! Had a couple of em last night and in fact, I told the bartender to put in an extra shot of Vodka and everything.

But really, thanks for the encouraging words, hopefully I will fall short of 4 years, but right now the most strenuous activity I can partake in is taking a dump, and even that is pushing it (get it? pushing?).

Ummmm, I think that is the morphine talking…

Good news, maybe…

I got fitted for an orthopedic back brace. There were different types most of which were very constricting to movement – the one I have has two flat rods down the back that are not metal (some type of carbon composite) and slightly flexible, they both run on either side of the area where I had some bone loss in my vertebrates providing significant support to the weakened area. There are two side straps that buckle in the front in a fashion that is easily adjustable and provides even support around the back.

This particular brace will hopefully provide the support I need to skydive without worry.

I am really trying to find a way to continue to skydive where I can make more than just a few jumps annually, maybe this will work.

Wee shall see this weekend…