FlyingJarhead

Whats your Monthly Nut$$?

When I started skydiving, I had budgeted $100 a month. Then I got a smaller apartment and it went up, then I cut out my cable because I was never watching TV anyway, and it went up, then I cut out..... well just about everything. Soon I was living out of a van and traveling south in the winter to jump. But that was just me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Right now my credit card bill each month is more than what I get paid... mostly made up of jumps.
Luckily I have a large nestegg to be able to pay for it.
(it was supposed to be for a holiday to Antarctica!)
I don't know how much longer that nestegg will be there for at this rate... :S
Especially as so far it's all student jumps, and I have yet to buy my own rig.

Dude, that is the worst way to spend your money in skydiving. First, stop putting it on credit. You are likely getting a 3% charge by using it. Secondly, stop renting and buy yourself a rig. If you really have a nest egg, use it to by your gear NOW. If you don't, you will find yourself with alot of jumps, no cash left and no rig. Then your double screwed. Buy a rig and budget.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

$300 a month. All year long. Sometimes it collects into a large amount, allowing me to afford plane tix to other events in the country and sometimes, it gets spent all, every month. If is all gone....no jumpin until the beginning of the next month. The trick is to never let it get that low.

If you don't budget your skydiving cash....you will more than likely be spending more that you can afford to, and not know it until it is too late.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I've been lucky enough to get on the camera rotation at my DZ since the beginning of this year. So nowadays none of my salary goes toward skydiving. Any money i make from tandems goes to paying my packer, my canteen account and my bar bill. Anything left gets spent on gas and fun jumps. I love self-sustained skydiving.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I did exaggerate a little. I never put more on the credit card than I know I can pay back... I only use credit card instead of cash so I can get a good credit rating (I pay it back before it gathers interest)
My dropzone gives you 2 months free gear hire after finishing AFF, so I am using their gear, after the 2 months I will definitely be getting my own rig.
I did make it seem more dramatic than it really is, didn't I? :$

Just started budgeting 100 bucks a week now - All year long, weather I jump or not - So it will build up during the winter months. What ever is left over at the end of the year, (if anything) will get spent on stuff like new gear, etc.

Easy Does It

My dropzone gives you 2 months free gear hire after finishing AFF, so I am using their gear, after the 2 months I will definitely be getting my own rig.

Wow ! That's a pretty sweet deal! How well does it work improving student retention?

Easy Does It

100 a week, but anything I make at the dropzone tends to go back into it, so last weekend I made and extra 230 packing and that is goign back into my jumping...

and I am getting my coach ratings

Find supplemental skydiving money

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

With all our bills and the kids there really isn't extra funds for playing...but we have always put anything we made working at the DZ (tandems, AFF) onto our fun accounts. So what we spend varies, if there's $$ on acct. we jump, if not, we don't. Hoping since I'm taking it easy not doing students these days my other half will get some more work soon or we'll be out of jumps soon, we are just overflow status mostly. This probably means not a lot of jumps for me through the off season. :( Unless he gets a bonus from his real job and there is something left after catching up on bills/debt.

But I've been lucky, I started teaching AFF in my 3rd year of jumping and since that time 12 years ago, it was only rare times I had to pay after a weekend, it pretty much paid for itself most of the time.

I’ve averaged 400 jumps a year except this year due to being grounded because of surgery unrelated to skydiving. So at $20 plus $6 for packing is $26*400 is $10,400. Now include wind tunnel time averaging about $500 per hour (some solo, some 2 way, some 4 way) at about 7.5 hours per year so 7.5*500=$3,750 add in coaching at $300 per day for an Airspeed quality coach and call it $4,500 for tunnel time a year. So, let’s just call it $15,000 a year for skydiving. Now we have gear maintenance on 2 rigs, jumpsuits, helmets, audible altimeters, etc., etc.

I don't know why people think this sport is expensive. :S
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Last year I did about 240 jumps, this year so far I am ahead of where I was at the same time last year. Currently I am averaging around 30 jumps a month. I don't like to do the math, so I won't. I once told my brother how much I spent a month and all he could think was how nice of a car I could have for that much money per month.
A nice new car just wouldnt be as much fun.:)

I scared myself to death only the other week calculating my expenditure since Mid March when I did my AFF, and the total is just shy of £6000!

Holy cow man! I need to lie down.:o:S

However in that there is my AFF costs (and I had to retake my level 5 several times), my consols, jumps, coaching jump slots, tunnel time, rig, helmet, protrack, jumpsuit and so on.

I estimate (if I average it out over a year) I may get in around 10-15 jumps a month as I am a weekend jumper so that would work out £200-£300 per month max.

I will also go away a few times a year on a skydiving holiday/boogie as well, fiscal status allowing.

The other side of it is I don't go out pissing my money up the wall on clubbing and boozing anymore which used to cost me an arm and a leg and now I exist off other peoples beer fines and the occasional one I owe. And I get plenty of fresh air and exersise as a bonus!B|

To me it is worth every single penny I spend!:)

Hey,

I usually do a few jumps per weekend, since I've got my solo I've slowed down a bit. I just bought gear too. I started skydiving 2 months ago and I now have 25 jumps and all my own gear cept' a helmet which I'm working on. Between training, fun jumps and gear, I've easily spent about 7k. The costs are extremely high at the start, but they level off eventually. next year, it'll be just fun jumps and catching up on my debt from buying gear.

Can't wait!
Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

So, let’s just call it $15,000 a year for skydiving.

Yeah, but how much of that is paid for by working at the DZ? I might still have the receipt for the jar of cherries if you want to count that in the total. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.