DSE

Jay Stokes - 640 Jumps In 24 Hrs (Was: 600 Jumps)

4:39 a.m. Jump#526 has just been put to bed. Jay has jumped his D license in just under 21 hours.
Condensation is heavy, thankfully, as it means he can slide/surf his landings instead of having to run them out, providing a minimal effort by comparison.
Spirits are high. When he crossed 500 and we told him where he was, he grinned, gave us a thumbs up, and said "Been there before..." and jumped on the plane.
With the cooler air, the Porter is rockin as well.
Campfire going, there are a few (very few) spectators who have stayed out all night.
Four and a half hours, he'll be well over 600 jumps.

Be sure to keep checking the blog as well, but I'm sure there are some DZ.commers that are following it a bit here.

Go Jay!

BTW, let him know you support him by pledging to the Special Forces and Special Olympics.

With about 1 hr 37 min left Jay Stokes hit 600 skydives this morning!!

Hi C

:)B|B|B|

Thanks on the Update:)
Mr Stokes: congrats on the new record.B|.

Can't wait for the rest of the story, and pics. But gotta go take a nap, feel free to take a break whenever your ready.

Mission accomplished:o

R.I.P.

For purposes of discussion, Jay had an off-airport landing this morning that is not part of the official count. He left the aircraft and landed 641 times, but jump 599, he landed on State Route 3. He flagged down a farmer, and the farmer loaded Jay onto his truck and drove him to the dropzone.
It cost 9:21 in time, and he was back in the air.

Jay's first words when he walked in the front door of the DZ were, "Could you guys pack this?" and handed his rig off to a packer. Then he apologized for scaring everyone by having us think he'd landed in a monstrous, taller-than human cornfield.

Then he jumped on the a/c again and continued to inspire and impress everyone there by going for 42 more jumps.

Team Fastrax finished out the morning by presenting a beautiful closing, just before the American flag was flown into the landing area.

Hundreds of people attended the event, and tears were in the eyes of many in the crowd as Jay finished and the flag flew.

Thank you Jay, for allowing me and my crew to be a part of this monumental event.

First of all, Congrats!! My big question is why would the record not be 641?? Off airport landings happen.. Is there a rule on the record books regarding the landing location or is it Jay or the group suporting the effort saying that they dont want to count it as it was a bad jump??

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Way to o JAY!!! No go get a Nap ;)

Way to go Jay! And LISTEN to Feeblemind!

Btw, it was mentioned on the blog that he ruptured/sprained/pulled/something bad to his quad around jump 200 but continued anyway. Crazy. Amazing is all I can say.

is it Jay or the group suporting the effort saying that they dont want to count it as it was a bad jump??.

According to the blog update it was Jay's decision to disqualify that jump.

640, 641, whatever. 400+ of those on a gimpy quad.

Yep.

Super human.

Way to go!!!

What wonderful positive press for the skydiving community and, let's not forget, in support of two great charities!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

What wonderful positive press for the skydiving community and, let's not forget, in support of two great charities!

What are the charities? Sorry being unobservant if already said.

nm figured it out myself from the ESPN article!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2580377

Front page ESPN! Too bad no pic, but great article!

My congratulations and admiration to Mr. Willard Lee Stokes and 640 jumps in 24 hours. He is an inspiration to even the most jaded among us. I feel honored to have had the opportunity to know and learn from Jay.

Michael Owens (aka Sparky)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Fantastic! Way to go Jay and all those who helped! The story was front page news in the Indianapolis Star. Don't know how to do the clicky thing but the website is Indystar.com. Real positive story.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

holy....!!!! he said during the interview with SR that 600 maybe was max possible in 24hrs....Rock on man! =) and the guy is 50 year! We youngsters need to haul ass! B|
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

What a stud.

The coolest thing about the new record is that when people ask me "Did you read about that guy that did 600-something skydives in a day?"

And I'll say "Yeah, he taught me how to teach skydiving"

Ha!

Congrats, Jay! It was fun seeing Yong again in Elsinore and that she was going out there to pack etc. in pursuit of your goal.

Inspiring.

JP

All of his rigs were Javelins with Spectres. The Spectres were mostly 170's with a couple 190's. The Javelins were all close enough to the same size that it didn't matter much. All were donated from vendors, teams, and other dropzones.

Hi BD

Do you know if the rigs had quick ejectors on the chest strap and leg straps.?

From one of the landing sequences on video it looked like Mr Stokes would land going into full brakes so his hands were already moving in the direction of the quick ejectors on the leg straps.

Also were the loose ends of the harness webbing tacked down so Jay didn't have to worry about making any harness adjustments?

R.i.P.

R.I.P.