DSE

Jay Stokes - 640 Jumps In 24 Hrs (Was: 600 Jumps)

Hi Sparky

Yikes:o

It would be interesting to see a graph of Mr Stokes cycle time over the 24 hr's.

Maybe 3 Pac 750's, 2 generator's, more packers, Math wise 700 jumps in 24 would be doable. The new record holder could be a member of the 700 club:S:D:D

Anyone know How cold it gets in Alaska during the 24 hr's daylight period?:S

IMO it's going to be a long time before anyone even attempts it.:)

R.I.P.

I have been on several wildfire assignments in Alaska during the solstice and the temps are quite warm in June....it does not cool off at night because there is no "night"

The sun goes down and then comes back up. It is really weird if you have not seen it. But, it never gets completely dark....

I am just guessing that 24 hours of daylight might make things easier. Who knows? Maybe Jay jumps faster in the dark......

I've been wondering if Jay may try for 700 at some point in the future... I'll have to remember to ask him if / when I see him again. Course... Mrs Jay may have something to say about whether he gets to try for this or not.

Maybe in the future, he or someone else could organize a "relay" marathon jumping type thing to raise money for the Special Olympics... you line up bunches of jumpers and several airplanes, packers, volunteers, etc... Jumper #1 loads up in an airplane, goes to 2.1K, does a hop-n-pop, lands, Jumper #2 cannot get in the plane and t/o to go do his or her hop-n-pop until Jumper #1 lands, Jumper #3 has to wait for #2 to land until he or she can get in a plane and t/o... etc., so on down the line... meanwhile, jumper #1 can pack, or get their rig packed, and get back in line and so on. Individual jumpers could collect donations / sponsorships before the event. With 2 or 3 or more aircraft and lots of jumpers, you could crank out a lot of jumps. Or maybe even put a stick of 3 or 4 jumpers on the load doing hop-n-pops... next stick cannot take off until the stick in front of them lands, etc.... there's lots of possibilities I suppose.

I am just guessing that 24 hours of daylight might make things easier. Who knows? Maybe Jay jumps faster in the dark......

Believe it or not, he did. Ground-to-ground time actually decreased; his fastest turnaround was 1:54 and that was in the dark. However...bear in mind the a/c can climb faster in the much colder air. At his peak in the dark, he did 30 jumps an hour, or 1 jump every 2 mins. During the daylight hours, he averaged 27 jumps an hour if I remember correctly.

That was one of the most incredible things I've seen in my life!!! There is no doubt that Jay is a machine (and incredibly nice, too), but there were many, many dedicated people there to assist for hours and hours.

The staff at Skydive Greensburg is simply incredible. Everyone (and I mean everyone) generously gave their time and talent to help Jay accomplish his goal.

The entire thing from take-off, to climb, to exit, to landing was simply beautiful. He even had cheerleaders! B|

They were pretty desperate for packers from midnight to 8am. They even let me pack! :$

It was an honor to be there and an incredible scene to behold. I met some truly fantastic people that weekend. :)
I can't wait to see what Norman & Spot put together and I know Justin from PD grabbed plenty of great shots, too!

Congratulations to Jay, his charities, and to everyone who had a part in making it happen!

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

They were pretty desperate for packers from midnight to 8am. They even let me pack! :$

I can't wait to see what Norman & Spot put together and I know Justin from PD grabbed plenty of great shots, too!

!

Cloudi, great to meet you and Justin in person. BTW, you didn't leave me much gaffers tape.;)
So folks are clear...Norman Kent is doing a project related to something else, and Jay's jumps are a small part of that project. My project is entirely about Jay, the charities, the volunteers, and the overall event. In other words, folks will have the opportunity for two very different views on the event, which hopefully will cover everything there was to be seen.

Ooops! I did make it sound like you and Norman were in cahoots, didn't I? :$

It was fantastic meeting you and your daughter. What a great weekend full of incredible people! I'm still floating from the whole experience. B|

I can't wait to see what each of you have put together. I haven't even had a chance to see what Justin has yet!

It would be difficult to capture the high everyone was on throughout the whole thing, but I have no doubt you did an incredible job of it.

Blue Ones!

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.