NottsTom

Rule differences between US and UK

Hello,

I recenty got my A Certificate in the UK and have only jumped there. Coming home to the States (Texas) for Christmas, I can't really go two weeks without jumping, esp. in a warmer cilmate. Are there any rules that I need to be aware of that apply to the States that don't exist in the UK and vice-versa? I know that some of it may be covered in a dz brief, but to cover all my bases. Thanks.

US dropzones require a riggers seal on the reserve. UK dropzones won't allow US jumpers to keep the seal. If you're packing your own reserve (as they do in the UK), you'll need to get a rigger to pack it before jumping in the US. Typically, that costs about $50 USD.
We are all engines of karma

Finished my consols and all and actually have the A-Certificate booklet thing. I don't really need to worry about rigs and reserves as I didn't bring one with me, everything but.

Just want to double check as well, first jump at a new drop zone is a case of beer is it not?

US dropzones require a riggers seal on the reserve. UK dropzones won't allow US jumpers to keep the seal. If you're packing your own reserve (as they do in the UK), you'll need to get a rigger to pack it before jumping in the US. Typically, that costs about $50 USD.

Huh? Has this happened to you? Depending on who its packed by my rig often has a seal on the reserve.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Not what i've encountered. I've jumped at a numbe of US dropzones as a UK jumper and not one has questioned why my rig doesn't have a seal on it (not required in the UK).

The only thing i have had to comply with is US reserve repack cycles (different than the UK), because my gear is US made (Jav) and is therefore subject to the time cycle depicted by the USPA.

Also, while i may not have been in the sport as long as you, i've never seen a rigger remove a seal in the UK, they just wont put one on a new repack as we dont really do that here, although some will on request.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I guess this really belongs in the Gear & Rigging forum, but as the issue has been raised here then I'll respond here ....
There was a period (about 15 years ago) when reserve seals were banned in the UK. This is because they were thought to add to the pull force required to deploy the reserve. Reserve seals are currently acceptable in the UK, provided they comply to the guidelines specified by the BPA in this document :
http://bpa.org.uk/forms/docs/Form%20215%20-%20BPA%20Reserve%20Sealing%20Method.doc

If you're having a reserve repack in the States then it's worth ensuring that the rigger applies the seal in this way, so it doesn't have to be removed when you return home.

The last time I was at Perris the person doing the gear check was surprised that I had a seal on my reserve, so it's certainly not mandatory at all DZ's in the States.

As I understand the rules, if any part of your parachute assembly (including your main canopy) contains equipment that's TSO'd in the States then you are governed by the American reserve repack cycle rules. Otherwise the reserve repack cycle of your own country applies.

This may not be the way that every DZ interprets the rules, but if the person making the decision stands to make money out of a reserve repack then chances are that this is the way they'll go.

Pete

BPA don't require a seal but do say that if done it must be done in a specific way that cannot impede the pin. I can't say that I've ever seen a foreign seal removed however.

We cannot pack our own reserves but there is a qualification of Advanced Packer who is allowed to pack reserves as well as the full Rigger qualification

Thats interesting about reserves. A bit off topic, but the Australian repack cycle is 6 months. I have been told the repack cycle depends on where it was packed, so if its packed in Australia and you travel to the US you get a 6 month pack job, but if you get it packed in the US and come back to Australia you have to get it repacked in 3 months.
Can anyone confirm this?

As I understand the rules, if any part of your parachute assembly (including your main canopy) contains equipment that's TSO'd in the States then you are governed by the American reserve repack cycle rules. Otherwise the reserve repack cycle of your own country applies.

This may not be the way that every DZ interprets the rules,

The large DZ's interpret the rules diferently: if the jumper is a foreign resident, regardless of the type of gear, they will honnor the foreigm rules (ie 180 cycles). Its been my experience in Eloy, Peris, Elsinore as a canadian with US TSO gear.
Remster

The large DZ's interpret the rules differently: if the jumper is a foreign resident, regardless of the type of gear, they will honor the foreigm rules (ie 180 cycles). Its been my experience in Eloy, Peris, Elsinore as a canadian with US TSO gear.

The folks who check gear at the large DZs you mention may have different interpretations of the FARs, but they should not be relied upon. The next time you are there, ask them to cite the regulation they think applies.

FAR 105.49 Foreign Parachutists and Equipment applies to visitors (not including resident aliens) who use unapproved (non-TSO) equipment. If you are a resident alien, it does not apply. And if you use approved (TSO) equipment, it does not apply.

If your harness/container is TSO'd and your reserve is TSO'd, you are jumping approved equipment. The exceptions in FAR 105.49 do not apply, and your rig must have been packed by an FAA rigger within 120 days.

Mark

Best bet then is to mail them directly asking! I am planning a trip to Eloy next year, and have had a response from them saying that if it has been packed in the UK, they will honour the UK repack cycle.

Just like when my rig arrived from the US the UK dropzone honoured the US repack cycle and the repack cycle was only 120 days.

If your harness/container is TSO'd and your reserve is TSO'd, you are jumping approved equipment. The exceptions in FAR 105.49 do not apply, and your rig must have been packed by an FAA rigger within 120 days.

While that's the letter of the law (as cited in Tombuch's article), it's simply not enforced at major US dropzones. If it was, it'd royally piss off a large number of visiting jumpers.

While that's the letter of the law (as cited in Tombuch's article), it's simply not enforced at major US dropzones. If it was, it'd royally piss off a large number of visiting jumpers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed!
If you folks are wise, you will stop rocking the boat on this issue.
Some American DZs cut foreigners more slack than the Federal Air Regulations allow.
If you are wise, you will leave it alone.