gontleman

The hidden [monetary] costs of skydiving.

A little bit of research gathering will give you a pretty distinct ballpark figure for the costs of getting into the sport (getting licensed/acquiring gear). But I figured someone (more or less curious as I am) might want to get the low down on what kind of expenditures you are consistently going to find while participating that go beyond the cost of training, rig, and jump tickets.

For example, time-mandated reserve repacks.

To start:
Training
Gear
Beer
Licenses

To continue:
More training
More licenses
More gear
More beer
Tunnel time
Boogie registration fees
Travel costs to go to boogies
Repacks (both planned and unplanned)
Gear repairs and maintenance
Competition entry fees
Medical bills
Pimp fees to HH

In other words ... as much as you want to spend.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

pretty distinct ballpark figure

Is that the same thing as an exact estimate?

Ballparks (literally) are distinctly defined areas. For instance, training will average somewhere between say.. 750 on the cheap side and 2k on the expensive side.

You can tell people "it will likely fall within this range."

I've commonly seen people say gear will run you say.. $2500 used to around $6000 new. (Acceptable variance implied)

So you have distinct ballpark figures. I wasn't being a total idiot when I said that.

fuel has become the big one. If you're driving 90 miles one way (close to 4 gallons for me), that more than a jump ticket to drive there and back. So it's not longer so great if you just wanted to run out for a couple.

If you're used to jumping 2 or 3 times, you might be surprised when you do a 7 (or 10) jump day and end up spending $200. Of course, AFF students do that every jump, so it's not so shocking a thought.

if you want to visit another DZ and want more than a bunk or a campsite, you have the motel room.

The $200/yr for reserve repacks is the only fixed cost, along with the USPA membership (almost mandatory)

Maybe $50 a year for USPA membership.

Around $60-$70 per reserve repack, which you need three times a year, if you want to always be ready. (If you live way up north, and you don't jump or plan to travel south to jump over the winter, you could probably skip one of these.)

Other possible gear maintenance includes batteries for AADs (every 4 years for some models, not cheap) and electronic altimeters (maybe every year or two, $5). Sometimes you replace things like goggles ($20) that tend to get beat up and/or lost over the course of a year or two.

If you go out to the DZ for more than just the afternoon, you probably need to feed yourself. This can be bringing sandwich stuff in your cooler, or eating at the DZ's restaurant (if so equipped), or getting food in town. Anywhere from $5 to $40 a day depending on how you like to eat.

If you have to drive some distance to the DZ, you may also have to pay extra taxes on driving levied by small towns who didn't have enough foresight to diversify their economies. (For instance, the rat-f@ckers in Drumright, OK.) Then your car insurance goes up as well, so your insurance company can buy *MORE* radar guns to give to small-town cops. Rat-f@ckers all around.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

A little bit of research gathering will give you a pretty distinct ballpark figure for the costs of getting into the sport (getting licensed/acquiring gear). But I figured someone (more or less curious as I am) might want to get the low down on what kind of expenditures you are consistently going to find while participating that go beyond the cost of training, rig, and jump tickets.

There is an old saying that is appropriate here,

You first jump costs you between $200 and $300....and at least half of your salary for the rest of your life.

You did say to only mention the $$ factor it goes much deeper than that.

;)

Enjoy,

Rhyso
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Maybe $50 a year for USPA membership.

Around $60-$70 per reserve repack, which you need three times a year, if you want to always be ready. (If you live way up north, and you don't jump or plan to travel south to jump over the winter, you could probably skip one of these.)

Other possible gear maintenance includes batteries for AADs (every 4 years for some models, not cheap) and electronic altimeters (maybe every year or two, $5). Sometimes you replace things like goggles ($20) that tend to get beat up and/or lost over the course of a year or two.

If you go out to the DZ for more than just the afternoon, you probably need to feed yourself. This can be bringing sandwich stuff in your cooler, or eating at the DZ's restaurant (if so equipped), or getting food in town. Anywhere from $5 to $40 a day depending on how you like to eat.

Eule

And finding a skydiving chick for a girlfriend,...

Priceless.;)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

hmmm well I can give you a very low estimate of what I have spent. 1000 X 20 = $20,000. That doesn't included AFF, Gear, Travel expenses, Beer etc...

Just remember it can also cost you the rest of your life. I think it is worth it and I don't show any signs of slowing down. In fact I am making more jumps then ever now.

So you have distinct ballpark figures. I wasn't being a total idiot when I said that.

No you weren't...

But monetarily speaking, it's a bad investment. :$

I've run the figures, and for every 10 cases of beer invested the return is a pie in the face. :)

That's a 2.00 return for 200.00 that just got pissed away.:ph34r:

On the other hand, eventually you get to be the one THROWING the pie...and that my friend, is PRICELESS! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

you cant put a price on everything bud.

not many jumps I have done yet, shitload of money more than likely, completly unbelievable kick ass good times many, met many new to me great people
that rock from coast to coast like butter and toast.

trying to put a price on an expierience like skydiving for whatever time you put in, is like tryin to put a price on life itself.

do it because its there and thats where you want to be, not some kind of financial decision.

pack a shitload of parachutes then, it would be cheaper, for instance. then youre at a DZ with the rest of the nylon freaks.

life doesnt have to be so complicated, just jump and enjoy:D;)

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Hidden costs I've discovered:

Buying beer
Rig and equipment maintenance, replacement, and upgrades.
Gas to and from DZ
Loss of income from regular job beacuse you took the afternoon off from work to go jump.
Little or no money going into your savings account because your spending it at the DZ and the gear store.
Beer.
Loss of spouse or S.O.
Increased maintenance cost of car because of all the trips to the DZ
Camping gear.
Etc -

Easy Does It

come and jump in the UK everything will cost you twice as much!!
BPA membership - $300 per year
Aff - $2500.00
10 consol jumps - $600.00
jump tickets - $40.00 each to 12000 ft
reserve repack - $80.00
new rig - $7000.00

but hey you cant take it with you:)

70 for a repack?!?!? wow I have heard a few at 60 which I still think is high but 70. I am glad I got my ticket!

California isn't the same as Kansas.

People get paid more, that's good on the earning side, but also means you get to pay people more to do work for you.

In the scheme of things, the cost of repacks is pretty small even for us light duty jumpers. 10%?

... and at least 2 wives...enjoy!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Un-loading the first (whuffo) wife is turning out to be far more expensive and far more time-consuming than originally planned.
Do you mean that I have to endure this form of torture a second time?

>California isn't the same as Kansas.

Repacks in CA can still be had for $50. It's the people who want their rigs repacked RIGHT NOW who end up paying $70.

SoCal isn't the same as Norcal....lol.

Don't know about RIGHT NOW, but in terms of the rates for the DZ associated rigger, 58-65 I think is the range I see, plus packing cost if I asked for the main to be inspected and then closed up. Weekend to weekend turnaround.

70 for a repack?!?!? wow I have heard a few at 60 which I still think is high but 70. I am glad I got my ticket!

We pay $60 per hour to get main parachutes packed by uncertified individuals. The same money for three hours of work by a technician with an FAA ticket is still a screaming deal.

well I did not do it for money, I only charge 45 and mostly just pack mine but would do for most anyone. But i guess whatever, if people will pay it I guess I can't really blame them. The only thing I do not like about it is that people rationalize and justify until the prices are ridiculous. Think about 5-10 yrs from now, Guess I just like to see the prices reasonably low for future and for everyone. Typical repack is 2 hours lets say, and that is slow, but that is 22.50 an hour. Not bad in my opinion. Guess I just don't see the point and that is the main reason I got my ticket. Help people out with reasonable costs, and not be dependent on others, anyway this is a whole other thread now so did not want to get away from the subject. PM me if you want to keep thread on subject.

Joel
don't try your bullshit with me!!!