weegegirl

It is OKAY to throw your handles!!!

So it remains to be seen what I will do the next time I need to cutaway, but thanks to Bryan Burke, I am now rehearsing holding on to my handles every time I do my practice EPs.

Bryan is a smart cookie and gets my respect, but have you (or anyone else here) built in to your rehearsals what to do when one hand/arm is useless? What about when you have two hands on the handles but the cutaway won't budge. Have you programed in a "check for release" pause after punching the cutaway handle? I once had a very lucky friend who didn't have such a check in his procedure and eded up puting the reserve out before he was fully cutaway.

One of the reasons we teach students a two hand on one handle method is exactly this reason.

I happen to know another certian person who's been in the sport a little while who probably because of previous thought was able to handle a dislocated/broken shoulder safely.

My routine rehearsal is always:

Right on Cutaway, Left on Reserve, Peel, Punch, Check, Peel, Punch. Then Left on Cutaway, Peel Punch, Check, Left on Reserve, Peel Punch. Then Right on Cutaway, Peel, Punch, Check, Right on Reserve, Peel, Punch.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

With all the experienced jumpers comments maybe I am silly here. I am the newbie with just 25 jumps so I am low on the pole. My jumpmaster taught (heck, made me practice) to thow the handles down hard and let go! On the red (cutaway) it was to make sure I didn't have it still in my hand when I reached for the reserve handle. He would turn his back when I was in the harness and listen for them to hit the floor.

I agree so much with who gives a damn. How much do new handles cost? Someday I will find out.

Yes, I agree with you, and I also say it's okay to keep your handles. Some people think you have to throw them away for safety, and train themselvs that way. I can see there are situations where you might need to, but I haven't personally been in one.

Yeah.. what he said

I am up to chop number 7 ( 5 in the old days 2 this year) and I have yet to toss the handles...

BUT.. if the situation wa such that I needed my hands free to deal with a situation.. they are GONE...:ph34r:

I've never pulled a reserve with my left hand. I've only had one chop that had a breakaway handle, the rest were on capewells. On that one, someone brought my breakaway handle back to me a few minutes later. I don't think I ever tossed a reserve ripcord, but I probably tossed a couple of main ripcords.

I have been told about one case of a jumper that threw away the cutaway handle and it went upwards toward the already opening reserve. The yellow cables from the cutaway handle went into one slider grommet of the opening reserve, preventing the slider from coming down fully. This jumper still landed the reserve canopy fine, but could have been more seriously injured. This is a very unlikely instance, and of course, there's probably about an equal chance that keeping the handles could cause some odd-ball malfunction as well. Just something to be aware of.

I have had one cutaway, and I'm pretty sure I threw both handles at least two states away ;)

Sounds like an urban legend to me. He hung on to the cutaway handle until after he pulled the reserve?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My first 5 cutaways were on Capewells.. and the first 2 with the big old D RING ripcord ( first was on a PCRP static line jump#5) I still did not toss the main ripcord.. and we got the kicker plate from the C-9 bellywart back as well. It was in the main..It was a major wad of crap above my head so I chopped it and pulled the bellywart reserve handle VERY quickly. I landed with BOTH handles... the instructor was impressed.

hi there good question and im sure that all these answers are correct so far
but i have been in a few situations and the question asked did you keep your handles isnt about your handels,
it takes the stress out of the last situation !(mal)
why stay freaked about the drama instead you have now put the thought,s on to a simple thing !

there isnt any punnishment for droping them just a few extra bucks
big blue ones steve:)
If you can't kill yourself doing it, its not a sport... its a game.

Risk factors do not add up, they multiply

Oren, not all of us have as much practice as you. Except maybe Heather...

Hey now...there was no need to go there. I view that as a personal attack! Aren't those against the rules? Greenies...punish her severely ;)
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

bwahahahaha - Well...Oren...you do have some pretty good "practice" with cut-a-ways. :P;)

I never even thought about keeping/throwing away my handles with my reserve rides. Just knew that I needed to deal with the situation at hand. I didn't care that I needed to replace my reserve handle both times. Replacing the reserve handle or both is a lot cheaper than a hospital/morgue trip. If you keep them, great...if not, oh well.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

My mal was relatively fast. I hung onto my handles, but remember thinking, after my reserve was open "WTF do I do with these?"

Hang on to them while you land the reserve? Tuck them away in the jumpsuit?

I guess some people learn hand deploy even on AFF jumps, and never have to deal with a ripcord dangling in their hand until the first malfunction. That would be weird. When I transitioned to modern gear, there wasn't really any instruction, just the owners manual and your own common sense. We trained ourselves to do what would work with the minumum amount of fuss. We had always held on to ripcords before. It didn't make any sense to start chucking them now.:)

I have been told about one case of a jumper that threw away the cutaway handle and it went upwards toward the already opening reserve. The yellow cables from the cutaway handle went into one slider grommet of the opening reserve, preventing the slider from coming down fully. This jumper still landed the reserve canopy fine, but could have been more seriously injured. This is a very unlikely instance, and of course, there's probably about an equal chance that keeping the handles could cause some odd-ball malfunction as well. Just something to be aware of.

I have had one cutaway, and I'm pretty sure I threw both handles at least two states away ;)

Sounds like an urban legend to me. He hung on to the cutaway handle until after he pulled the reserve?

Sparky

I stand corrected. I recieved this from a very reliable source.:$

I know the guy this happened to. You can imagine the look on his face as he watched the slider push his cutaway handle down the lines. I think he cutaway and tossed both handles as he pulled the reserve, but the reserve was already deploying because of the RSL. If the cables had been above the cascades, he would have been dead.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hang on to them while you land the reserve? Tuck them away in the jumpsuit?

Everytime I tuck mine away...I don't get them all in, and they slap me in the face on the ride down!:o

I don't tend to fix it since I am normally low and am getting ready to land.

Not dangerous, but kinda anoying
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Second question is "That was fun huh?"

Yeah my first chop was fun in a weird way. Nice way to get an extra shot of adrenalin after the free fall. I don't remember tossing the red, but I remember chucking the silver and going "CRAP shouldve kept that." On a other note I remember looking up at the reserve's slider and going "Hey where are the two strings I use to collapse it."

[
Everytime I tuck mine away...I don't get them all in, and they slap me in the face on the ride down!:o

I don't tend to fix it since I am normally low and am getting ready to land.

Not dangerous, but kinda anoying

Yep, same here. I find I can fly my reserve just fine for a minute or two with a handle and toggle in each hand. On tandems you always have a little more time to stow them, but I've never handed them to the passenger. Bet they'd lose 'em for sure.:D

I toss my handles a lot. Whatever. I'm considering getting a half dozen or so handles and having embroidered on each cutaway pillow, "#5", "#6", "#7", "#8" and so on.

other than what another poster said..."learn to pack"

This is one of the more original ideas I have heard of.... dare you to actually do it!!!B|
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I toss my handles a lot. Whatever. I'm considering getting a half dozen or so handles and having embroidered on each cutaway pillow, "#5", "#6", "#7", "#8" and so on. :)

Thats funny :)

There is no step in my emergency procedures that say keep my handles or through them.
Just Cutaway Pull Reserve.
I dont give a shit where my handles end up. Not ganna waste brain power thinking I got to throw them or keep them.
When I get on the ground if I have them fine If I dont Fine as long as I took care of business F@&k the handles.:$

3 reserve rides and always kept them but dont know how or why and dont care.:D
I do know that it can cost you an extra $60 to$90 dollars if you dont keep them:(

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421