dropzonejunky

would you jump your kid's pack job?

I have a friend who was packing when he was too young to even hold the canopy himself. He said he used a step stool to stand on and had a packing paddle that he would use to reach down and flake the fabric! I think he needed some help folding it and putting it in the bag. He was stowing lines at a very young age before he started the other parts.

Sure I'd jump my kid's pack job. I'd jump just about anybody's pack job if I didn't consider the person a damn fool. My kid probably packs better than most jumpers pack...lol. Ain't that sad?
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I think in the US the kid would have to be supervised by a rigger for you to legally jump it. I can't remember the exact rule here off the top of my head.

So if I were a rigger and asked to supervise a kid packing I'd watch them very closely but I see no reason why they couldn't pack a good opening.

-Michael

Sure I'd jump my kid's pack job.

I'd certainly jump MY kid's pack jobs -- but then he's a 39 y/o SFC who is not only a Master Rigger but a US Army static line and MFF JM!

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I am surprised John and Valinda have not been in the thread yet;)

I have jumped quite a few packjobs that their kid has packed....

Our son Brett started packing when he was about 10-11 yo. His pack jobs open better than mine, no kidding. He's got a lot of happy clients, Amazon included.:)

I am surprised John and Valinda have not been in the thread yet;)

K, I'm responding since I was named...
My kids have been out at a DZ since BEFORE they were born. I can't remember what age exactly Brett started packing but he was little. I remember wuffo's coming out and seeing this little boy packing everyone's chutes and their eyes would bug out. At the same time as soon and the skydivers would land they would RUN up to Brett to get in line first for his pack jobs. That kid can pack a chute in record time and give it a dream opening!

Consequently, between JohnMitchell and Brett, I haven't packed a chute in probably 18 or 19 years now.

Brett just turned 16 this December and he's waiting for some good weather before he makes that "first" jump.

i would jump a kids pack job i let a hot tandem passenger pack for me few weeks back as they were cloud grounded and bored while we did hop and pops. It looked rat shit I made sure the deployment system was fine jumped it and it opened sweet, better than my own 6 or so pack jobs that day. Packing is not some magical mystical art.

I'll jump most anyone's packjob. No kids of my own, but if any, they could pack for me. Just don't put knots in the lines and have the slider at the stops.

I've actually dared colleagues to pack for me. And I wouldn't be telling them more than 'keep the lines tensioned, have this piece of fabric up and try to stuff this oversize piece of nylon in this undersize baggy thingy.' No one has taken me up on that. Yet. I still hope for a free packjob someday.
Johan.
I am. I think.

It's FAR 105.43 (a) "The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use by.... or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger."
Note that a person must be 18 years old to become a certificated rigger in the U.S., but there is nothing in the rules about an age limit to work under the supervision of a rigger.

I've heard this being done a couple of times now, i took it as a joke the first time but questioned when i heard it being done again. Are there people out there really having there kids packing for them? and what are the benefits if your not jumping two riggs? Now i don't want this turned into an argument over legality of the situation, just if people would or would not jump it. lets try to keep it to only that

Ive said it for many years the only reason my dad had kids was so he had packers. Starting packing in 1973 at 6 years old for $.50. Yup I sure would let a kid pack. Better than what I could do today, havent packed in over 1000 jumps, and never knew who was packing while traveling the 80 Dz's in 4 years. Thats also what I love about my Spectre!!
Let em pack..

J

I am only at 18 jumps now, and not having taken a packing class am not fully familiar with it. I do have a general idea but anyway a fellow skydiver at cross keys that I have seen and talked to almost every time I jumped asked me to pack his rig so it will be interesting to see if i see him again. I asked him to please repack it himself as he wasnt jumping it for a while and he said "would it make you feel better if i told you i would?"

Just thought it was funny

I'm taking my daughter to a boogie so I don't have to pack! She's 18 & has been packing for 3 years now.
My regular packer is 14 & gives me nice openings every timeB| BTW, I've seen him make $400-$500 in a weekend!

but wait wait who taught her to pack over many times?!?!?!?
who knows lol i taught her when i was13 kinda funny and i taught his other packer to sorry bill had to take a little credit on that but both very good packers
death before dishonor

Thanks that confirms my recollection is correct. For all those who've jumped their kid's packjobs how many conformed to that FAR?

I'd say all of them given the number of riggers about when I got around to asking who had their ticket..

ofc 'direct supervision' is subject to a good bit of interpretation.