Toastie

Disadvantages or Advantages to being small??

Hi everyone,

I am new to skydiving and have just passed AFF2, I didn't really realize/notice or consider myself small until all of my instructors give me this puzzled look when they try to fit me with a rig and a jumpsuit. Is this a problem with skydiving?? it kinda worried me when I see their faces when they ask me my weight. haha I am 5'4'' and about 110-115 lbs I think...definitely over 100lbs. I haven't really weighed myself in a long time. But yea, what are the disadvantages to being small ...or are there any advantages??(crossing fingers) I don't look like an oompa loompa, and its not like I'm out of proportion or anything... Should I consider this to be a big problem? Any input would be appreciated.:|

Hi everyone,

I am new to skydiving and have just passed AFF2, I didn't really realize/notice or consider myself small until all of my instructors give me this puzzled look when they try to fit me with a rig and a jumpsuit. Is this a problem with skydiving?? it kinda worried me when I see their faces when they ask me my weight. haha I am 5'4'' and about 110-115 lbs I think...definitely over 100lbs. I haven't really weighed myself in a long time. But yea, what are the disadvantages to being small ...or are there any advantages??(crossing fingers) I don't look like an oompa loompa, and its not like I'm out of proportion or anything... Should I consider this to be a big problem? Any input would be appreciated.:|

In the same body position + jumpsuit drag you'll fall (much) slower than a larger person.

Terminal velocity is a function of cross-sectional density. Since mass is a cubic function of size and surface area only square, people-shaped objects have a higher terminal velocity when they're the same shape just larger.

You'll need to reduce drag through body position (non-gymnists have limits here) and tighter slicker jump suits; or add weight to up your sectional density.

Your instructors need to be able to match your speed if you get away from them, and your speed is going to be really slow if you get tense and stiff like a board which is a lot more likely for new skydivers than expierenced ones.

So they'll probably stick you in a skin tight suit and wear their baggiest suits. You might get lead weights. You may also get a smaller rig that will be less expposed to the wind and therefore be less likely to affect your flying.

Once you're experienced, you just have to dress for success. I've jumped with people over 250 pounds and under 110.

hahaha I'll try it, although I think they would laugh at me... no worries, I am hoping I'm a late bloomer on this growing thing...maybe I'll luck out and I'll have a growing spurt sometime soon, I'll give myself till 30 then give up on it... I can always wish... right?

Thanks for your input Drew,

you called it... I think I got the smallest rig, and a tight suit, & at times I was also stiff like a board... are you sure you weren't there?? hahaha I am pretty flexible so that should be beneficial later I guess... but for some reason during free fall, my body position is all messed up, I swear I feel like a total spaz, I have no idea what my legs are up to. haha I have issues with the whole lower body positive 45 degree deal. Never realized arching is so difficult. I need work, I hope it gets better...

I'm 110lbs for a 6 foot 2 male (I know, I'm a stick).

I'm able to do my AFF stages without weights, my AFFI doesn't even wear a jumpsuit... you just need to arch like you've never arched before and get a really skinny AFFI, they are pretty well versed in adjusting fall rates.

I "starfished" (as they called it) on my AFF2 and I nearly lost both instructors, they were literally hanging onto me like a piece of fabric floating away.

One thing that I did find hard was the student canopies, 130lb exit weight with a 270 canopy and you're like a feather in the air, I swear I have to flare 10ft max above the ground, I get shit all speed or penetration out of the big student rigs.

There is a girl at our dz that is small. She has a sticker on the back of her helmet, "Being able to stand up in the airplane... priceless." :D:D:D Everytime she does I say, "Bitch!" :D

Oh, she jumps with weights.:)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

it kinda worried me when I see their faces when they ask me my weight.

They're not making faces at you, they're making faces of contemplation. As Instructors, they're required to ensure "they" not only dress you for a faster fall rate, but dress themselves for a slower fall rate. They're just doing some math in their head.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

There is a girl at our dz that is small. She has a sticker on the back of her helmet, "Being able to stand up in the airplane... priceless." :D:D:D Everytime she does I say, "Bitch!" :D

Oh, she jumps with weights.:)

Hey, freak - can't everyone stand up in the plane:P Afterall, they are built for us normal size peeps.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

You're about the same size as my wife, maybe an inch shorter. Most student rigs are too long and wide for you. When you arch, they have 2 points of contact, your shoulders and your butt. Behind your back, 6-8" of gap between you and your gear.:S Also, the width of the rig makes it stick out on both sides of your waist like drag brakes. Just getting a rig proportioned to you will help your fall rate enormously.

You are a great size for being a good skydiver. Once you learn to fall faster, you'll have the range to do anything you like. Being skinny is a huge advantage in our sport.

One advantage will be when you're looking to buy a used first rig, it will probably be easier and cheaper, because you'll start out smaller than the more in-demand {170,190,210} starter range.

hmmm... canopy size might be easier but not necessarily harness, most jumpers are not small and it is not easy finding a small second hand harness. And don't just assume going to 1:1 early for a lighter person - read the many threads on WL vs canopy size. Maybe, maybe not.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

The only disadvantage is through the AFF, usually DZ will carry a varity of gear and jump suits but nothing that really suits your stature. But once you get through the trials and tribulations of AFF their is a wide variety of gear choices that can get you up to speed with all others. I am an instructor and have jump with everyone, 6'3' 295lbs down to 5'2 a buck "0" five.Our job is to teach you safety in the sky, not to make it difficult on you just because it's difficult for us.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

...or shove you between two tandems in the caravan even though your group is first out. [:/] I'm 5'4" and 109 lbs. You'll be fine when you get your own gear. I used to use the sport rig when I was in AFF at my DZ. It held the only sabre 150, but the dang thing fit. Be safe and have fun!

~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Most student rigs are too long and wide for you. When you arch, they have 2 points of contact, your shoulders and your butt. Behind your back, 6-8" of gap between you and your gear.:S Also, the width of the rig makes it stick out on both sides of your waist like drag brakes.

Yea! that's what makes me look like a big blue turtle, I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think that's it. Well, that, the student helmet and the waddle that I have since I am not used to walking with something so heavy on my back with tight straps around my legs...

For a year, I dated a 5'1" 110 lb woman who wore 14+ lbs. Coming out late and always in her slot.

Advantages:

You can come out late and do some excellent glory slots.

Disadvantages:

You may have to wear weights. People can arch to get to a spot, but you want to skydive in the middle of your fallrate, not the max or min.

Landing with weights. A butt slide landing is preferable to running out a landing while wearing 12 lbs.

Note:

If you buy used gear, you may want to put a small bungee on the back of the legstraps to pull them together.

Landing with weights. A butt slide landing is preferable to running out a landing while wearing 12 lbs.

Landing with weights is a complete non-event as long as you stay within an appropriate wing-loading for your size/experience. I wear that much weight all the time and don't think twice about the landing..

Heck - at the CRW record the guy on top wore 90!!! lbs of weight and still stood up his landings..