jpechbre

Fraud: Please help

You guys are out there....waaaaaaay out there.

I've told it before but...

True story:
The company I worked for had to put warning labels on the equipment we installed:
"WARNING! DO NOT URINATE ON THE RECTIFIER"

Yes, it was because some lame idiot actually did it. To "protect" themselves, his company had to try to put the blame on us for not warning him of such potential danger.

Will that label prevent the next lame idiot from doing it? No, not at all.

Sure enough, it didn't and another bozo in the same company did it a couple of months later.

Now. Get your panties in a wad about that and go help those poor lame idiots and bozos!

Moral to the story:
Help is available to those who want it and are smart enough to ask. Otherwise, yous gets whats yous pays for.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Y
Now. Get your panties in a wad about that and go help those poor lame idiots and bozos!

Firstly im sure the OP LOVES to here you call him a lame idiot , and a Bozo ........

And yes i will always try to help some one out..... Idiot or not!... Fuck... its literally my job man! ( It doesnt mean im not going to be shaking my head and rolling my eyes as i do :)

Guess it is just the way i was bought up???
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Sending the gear to a rigger is a good idea in theory but the rigger can be in on the scam too.

That's why it's important to use a verifiable, trusted source as an escrow agent. I sent gear I was selling to Sherry Butcher, a USPA national director and DZO at Aerohio. I emailed her and talked to her on the phone before sending it. I didn't have to wonder for a second if it was a scam...

When I'm the buyer, I don't ask people to send gear to my rigger 'goat', at his home address. :P

I have them send it to the DZ manager or a staff rigger at my home drop zone.

Think people!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

The OP's plight, while sad, is not my problem. Now you're gonna say what I do isn't good enough.

WTF are YOU going to do to help the OP?

diablo, you have to look at your self in the mirror each morning, if your happy with how you are, thats all cool!! your a skygod afterall 2nd to none!

I've offerd $100 towards the redevelopment of the page to put clearer warning signs up, i've sent some new ideas to the owner of the site so it makes it harder for scammers.

For the Op, i sent my condolences, if i had a spare rig and he was local he'd be more then welcome to use it, With western union he made a school boy error, somthing that everyone who has been on here for more then 6 months has seen happen before. he has 3 jumps, he does not have the experiance that we may have in seeing people get ripped off,

He jumped in expecting star rated members to have been veted, or to have been on here for years, (he did not check) and he was well and truely scammed.

I'm not saying he did all he could, but as a community we could make it more difficult for scammers if we put ideas together that would benifit everyone. its a small community surley this is not the hardest challange skydivers have faced.

Or maybe i'm being a bit green in thinking anyone does care enough to try to push for small changes?

I hope i'm wrong and somthing positive can come out of this... a bit like Mr. Ted Strong helping out a dz when its gear all got nicked. Other people just turned round and said it's not my problem, He did his upmost to help it them out.

Fair play to People who make an effot small or large.

I would love to know what type of system you would like us to adopt, we are open to suggestions.

A feedback system, similar to E-Bay. You'd know in advance whether the seller/buyer was legit or not. I've bought a ton of stuff of of the classifieds here, never been burned. But then again, i've never bought anything from accros the pond, and i wouldn't advise that anyone else do it either. Never spend more than you can stand to lose, if you do use a CC with fraud protection, or PayPal with insurance that covers your purchase.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I am impressed! :|

How difficult can it be to send an email to the moderator of the classified site and have him make a big red text warning newbies about frauds, and mentioning things like western union??

ITS ONLY A FEW LINES OF TEXTS THAT IS NECCECARY!!!

I am amazed over how careless the attitude of the moderators reading these posts seems to be :|

I have busted this "italianguy" THREE TIMES! He immidiately remove his ad. To times i contacted him on purpose to make him take away the ad so that poor newguys like me doesn's get ripped of.

Some things this guy always does:
- Put out rigs on bargain prices
- Use an unused dropzone profile to send from
- Write "his" full name with a period in the middle like Frederich.conner
- Asks how tall you are and how much you weigh at first contact
- Asks to send money through western union and ship trough fed ex.

Now another guy have gotten frauded by this man. :( This would propably not have happened if you had written in big red letters on the classified page like: "FRAUD ALERT!!: Do not send money through western union, and read our fraud site before making any transactions"

Please listen to
base_nz

He knows the solution:|:(

I say lets start a campagin to have me monitor the website for fraud, now thats a solution!!!

I monitor other forums/websites educating the masses on how to protect themselves from scams.
However, despite all my efforts, there are many that still get scammed....

:) yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B|

Best Girl Scout Ever.

Holy shit people, have any of you actually gone to the classified page? There are two links there, in red letters, that discuss buyer scams and seller scams.

If someone isn't going to click on them, what makes you think they'll click on another link in red letters that says "scams"?

WTF?

- Dan G

How difficult can it be to send an email to the moderator of the classified site and have him make a big red text warning newbies about frauds, and mentioning things like western union??

You mean on top of the warnings already up at the bottom of the page? What do you need, someone to come to your house when you click the button to remind you to be carefull?

Seriously people... how fool proof do you need a classified site to be? :S
Remster

You mean on top of the warnings already up at the bottom of the page? What do you need, someone to come to your house when you click the button to remind you to be carefull?

Seriously people... how fool proof do you need a classified site to be? :S

1. When i open that page.. (maybe because i have a laptop) I cant see that part of the page unless i scroll down.....

If someone isn't going to click on them, what makes you think they'll click on another link in red letters that says "scams"?

2. If i was a newbe on the sight and excited about my new gear ( which i have been ) I would look at the page you showed... Im searching from top of the page to bottom....... See complete systems (at the top!)..... and CLICK im on my way......" Cool theres a guy with a big gold star next to his name.....got ripped.[:/] ... now ill post i got ripped....... And here we are!!!

Wouldn't it be better to have the warning read BEFORE you can choose to get your gear ...

Or after you choose say "complete systems" Put the warning ( or another one ) at the TOP of that page????
Or Add 1 sentence next to the classifieds guidelines and highlight it in red with a link....

may not seem like much but im pretty damn sure more people would read it before buying.... therefore it would stop more people getting scammed...

Now its just a question of wether its worth doing or not...Yes or No..

In my opinion it would be worth the effort :)
I bet there are a few scammers out there who have read this thread too....Who's camp are they in as far as this discussions going???? !!!!!
It s not mine ill tell you that now .....THEY will be hoping nothing is done as well!!![:/][:/]

I have to agree with you that is not the most noticeable place for warning's. A warning should be the first thing you see, for instance warning about dangers of skydiving on parachutes, wavers, and anything else skydiving. Before you say this is not about skydiving NO SHIT! If you skip a NOTICABLE WARNING THEN YOU ARE A DUMB ASS!!!!!!! I personally have never bout any thing from DZ.com. But if i had i would not fallen for this type of add. BTW sorry to the OP.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Anyone who would wire money western union or with other means to a person they don't know and have not checked out for gear they have never seen is a total dumbass! There are already many post about this type of scam and how to avoid getting ripped off by them, the most common way is a gear broker.

I have brokered a number of deals from this site between people who have never met each other and the seller don't know me from Adam, however with a few phone calls or emails I can be checked out and the gear is sent to a valid DZ/loft address.

I have also sold gear the same way on here, it is up you the buyer to do your homework and check the facts and person out and make the arrangements to keep from getting buttfucked like the OP did.

While I think it sucks the person got ripped off, I find hard to feel sorry for someones stupidty in this day and age of internet scams & ripoffs, this is nothing new and with a little looking into things a person can get the info to make a informed choice.

And the last time I checked there was a gear store in Davis Ca. and more then one person around there able to help lowtimers make good deals, for a student to not work with those who are in the know and then fail to get educated about buying gear online, let alone from over seas says a lot about the person who got screwed.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I dont get why this is an issue. It has been said a few times in this thread. Put a disclaimer AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE! I had to look for the scam alert after reading this. You have to scroll down, and someone who is using this site for the first time is not searching for scam information because they are looking for gear. Not everyone is as tech savy, and unfortunately, some people are just too trusting and may have never been ripped off or even known anyone that has. Some people are just ignorant.

If you point out things that are recognizable in scams you can prevent alot of problems.

It would take 2 minutes to add a line to the classified greeting paragraph. Why not do it?

Put a disclaimer AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!

and yet again, the law term is "Caveat emptor"

Have you ever shopped for a new or used car? Would buy a car from someone you never met, without going to look at the car and send them what amount to a cash payment?

Mr. Abe Lincoln said, " A fool and their money soon part ways" it was true in Lincoln's day and it is true today, I guess you young kids must have missed that part in history class, I bet it was from texting to get the answers to the test.

The site is already doing a service to everyone as it is, the fact that people are to stupid or lazy to do a search or take the time to read and learn what to look out for is their problem not the sites or the mods.

Here is some great advice to all you noobies thinking about buying gear, try working with your local DZO, Instructors, riggers and gear stores, or risk getting ripped off because you don;t know what the fuck your doing, we've seen it time and time again!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Here is some great advice to all you noobies thinking about buying gear, try working with your local DZO, Instructors, riggers and gear stores, or risk getting ripped off because you don;t know what the fuck your doing, we've seen it time and time again!

And it will keep on happening.... again... and again.... and again!!!!!

And by the way.... I think its great you can participate in the discussion..... I know a lot of people "YOUR AGE", confuse easily when confronted with all the flashing lights and noises of new found technology.....

good for you:)

Mr. Abe Lincoln said, " A fool and their money soon part ways" it was true in Lincoln's day and it is true today, I guess you young kids must have missed that part in history class, I bet it was from texting to get the answers to the test.

Sorry but didnt study american history..........

But i believe it was ORIGINALLY " a fool and his honey"... it was said by Thomas Tusser . He was an english poet and farmer.

Enough history for you........

Thats funny.. I've met as many people that will stab you in the back for a dollar on dropzones as on here. There are tons of people out there that sell ragged out or old overpriced gear as "perfect for you since you just got off student status". I've seen a ton of things come up missing off of DZ's across the US. Scams and theives exist in the real community just like they do online. Online allows you to interact with more people then at a DZ so you run across more scams and theives just because you deal with more people.

I have pointed the site owner to this conversation. I know there are a list of projects he is currently working on for the site so we'll see if this makes the list for future projects.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com