jpechbre

Fraud: Please help

So this leaves us to one question:

In cases of internet fraud, who is responsible?

The 'victim' or banking institution/goverment/credit card company?

There are many many many MANY websites that give you information about fraud and how to prevent it. So what more CAN we do?
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Cool.... it looks like everyones a winner, i don't jump with people who are inconsiderate assholes, i've already written on this i would not jump with you guys, as you don't give a shit about anyone but yourselves.

If you read the thread and read what i'd written you may see the my point. I was making an example, so the owner does not fall into the trap of a being taken to court. by putting a bigger disclaimer up. its not rocket science, if you don't like my idea, i could'nt give a toss. I'm using my knowledge to help people, you are doing what exactly???

using this forum to vent off your personal frustrations

Once again ignorance wins.. congratufuckulations

diablopilot , you are a complete spanner, and reitarate it with every post you make. I truley hope we meet one day, so I can figure out what your issue is with the world, as every comment you make on these forums is full of shit.

Cool.... it looks like everyones a winner, i don't jump with people who are inconsiderate assholes, i've already written on this i would not jump with you guys, as you don't give a shit about anyone but yourselves.

If you read the thread and read what i'd written you may see the my point. I was making an example, so the owner does not fall into the trap of a being taken to court. by putting a bigger disclaimer up. its not rocket science, if you don't like my idea, i could'nt give a toss. I'm using my knowledge to help people, you are doing what exactly???

diablopilot , you are a complete spanner, and reitarate it with every post you make. I truley hope we meet one day, so I can figure out what your issue is with the world, as every comment you make on these forums is full of shit.

do you realize that you just insulted people with 30x more jumps and thus ALOT more experience with and around skydiving ? Perhaps you should realize that they simply HAVE to know better ???

cool it a bit, and think about how a adults are considered adults because they can make decisions for themselves. Otherwise your beloved courts would rule them incompetent and appoint a guardian.

So this leaves us to one question:

In cases of Internet fraud, who is responsible?

The 'victim' or banking institution/government/credit card company?

There are many many many MANY websites that give you information about fraud and how to prevent it. So what more CAN we do?

I kinda like the 'Use Common Sense' option suggested several times in the thread.

Internet or not, there are just some things as a consumer you shouldn't do.

Does anybody actually DO business using~~ "I'll sent a boatload of money 1/2 way around the world that is basically untraceable, in the hopes of getting an item I've never physically seen, from a person that may or may not exist." ...and think it's a good idea?:S

I mean...sorry the OP got burned, if ya find the guy I'll hold 'em while ya beat him.
You were taken advantage of...but keep in mind it takes two to complete THAT circle...next time don't be so naive. :);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

do you realize that you just insulted people with 30x more jumps and thus ALOT more experience with and around skydiving ? Perhaps you should realize that they simply HAVE to know better ???

cool it a bit, and think about how a adults are considered adults because they can make decisions for themselves. Otherwise your beloved courts would rule them incompetent and appoint a guardian.

Why do you think i'm into law, becaue i put an example on here about how it works and the pitfulls of letting people get ripped off, i studied it thats all, I own a bar, and skydive my socks off when possible.

and yes they may have 30 x's more jumps and they may be a sky god, but it does not mean I will give way to them on here, if i find them being unconstructive when a few of us are trying to figure a better way of saving people from getting scammed.

Whats the problem with us trying to improve the classifieds, is it really going to effect your life, i understand if your unintrested in the subject or don't care if the guy lost $1300, thats your choice.

But don't get down on me for actively trying to help others and imrpove the general services of the biggest skydiving website. Rather than this tit for tat crap, where people are telling the guy he's an idiot. and then shouting me out at me for informing how there could be a chance of dropzone being taken to court, if they were not careful.

You think i'm an asshole, for helping others out or trying to make contructive criticism, ok, i can live with that. but don't expect me to appolagise for it

Isn't that mommy and daddy's job?? Sorry, I already raised my kid, I don't have to educate anybody but myself.

Cool, so you are obviously one if those sky gods who thinks the sun shines out your ass.....What a fuckin attitude!! YOU DONT HAVE TO EDUCATE ANYONE BUT YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Remind me not to mistake you for one of those people who give a shit at the DZ.... Believe it or not some people do try to educate people in this sport.... But once again fuck em right!!

How many warning labels do we need? If someone can't be bothered to read an obvious security warning on the front of the classifieds (it is very obvious), a line added to an email isn't going to be read either.

Thats the THING its NOT obvious!!!! ....... THATS MY WHOLE POINT!!!

The words "lawyer" and "lawsuit" may be stock in trade for how you relate to situations in your world. In the skydiving world, them are fightin' words. You may get further in your efforts to protect us from ourselves if you immediately discard the idea that suing Sangiro because someone didn't read and understand the scam warnings that are already up is a good idea.

Sorry .... from NZ not america .... We dont sue our neighbor because we fell of the ladder we borrowed !!!!!

What do you REALLY think someone new to the sport is going to think
after reading your post???? Just another stuck up skydiver!!!!

Remind me never to ask you for a gear check before i get on the plane!!! Fool... think about what you are sayin???
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

SO...... 30k jumps and lots of experience ...... Also an air of superiority and forgetting how green you where when you started....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....... I hope as i get more jumps i dont also get this attitude ...... And guys stop kidding your self.....It is a shit attitude.... Are you all from america?

They have to know better???? Well im guessing there not getting that info from you.....

Fuck it might just start ripping newbes off myself ....... I might get bitched at but at least im not going to have to worry about you changing things to make it harder......

Ill take all your money then when someone tries to help you other will bag them..... eeeeeeexxxxxxxxilent

And i could take your money even though you use common sense!!!

If you think differently your a fool !

You can go toss off with the other tourist.

This isn't about time or experience in the sport.

This is about crashtested's attitude, and yours as well.

Instead of offering a constructive suggestion to someone who has put their time and effort into providing a service to the skydiving community, he starts out by telling everyone the "you've got to do something" and pointing out how fucked up things are.

Now cue your arrogant comments about how he can be hit with legal action for trying to help people.

If I were in Sangiro's shoes, I'd probably just shut the whole thing down whit the grief you two are giving.

This has nothing to do with your being a skydiver and everything to do with you being self absorbed.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You can go toss off with the other tourist.

This isn't about time or experience in the sport.

This is about crashtested's attitude, and yours as well.

Instead of offering a constructive suggestion to someone who has put their time and effort into providing a service to the skydiving community, he starts out by telling everyone the "you've got to do something" and pointing out how fucked up things are.

Now cue your arrogant comments about how he can be hit with legal action for trying to help people.

If I were in Sangiro's shoes, I'd probably just shut the whole thing down whit the grief you two are giving.

This has nothing to do with your being a skydiver and everything to do with you being self absorbed.

YEP... defiantly all americans!!!!!

and how am i a tourist?? Are you suggesting i am in america visiting some one .... Yet another great comment by diablo....
If we are going to talk about tourist ....you guys are just english who lost there sense of humor!!!!!!

I never made any comments about being hit with a lawsuit.... That shit is rancid to me!!!!!

And how did i not give a constructive suggestion!!!!! in fact i think its been one of the only suggestions in this thread.....

Once again the only argument here is should we do something if we can ...to ensure people know the dangers!!!! Even if they are void of common sense ????? I say yes ... others say let them burn!!

AND AGAIN NOTHING AGAINST THIS SIGHT OR THE HH ...This sight is a lot better for security than others ive seen but if it could be improved to help people why wouldnt you....???? at the moment the ONLY argument is they should have use common sense!

THIS IS NOT CONSTRUCTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have ANYTHING constructive to say????

Go back and read my post again diablo.... Trust me this sight has definitely opened my eyes about the wider skydiving community! and the fake image of wanting to help out people new to the sport.... its all good and well till they do something stupid then Fuck em!!!!

And as sad as it is thi IS a very American attitude!!!!!

explain my attitude to me diablo you can phone me on 00441494721001, either pm or put a post for the world to see.

is it like your attitude when you called a friend of mine a fake and fraudster when he was selling his nitro, then repeated it continualy baiting him on the whole thread?

Or is it like your attitude when you use one line put downs when people ask for advice, giving them nothing but shit?

Or is it like your attitude when you tell people to go jump rigs which will kill them and say you could'nt give a shit?

Do you know what you have won again... i'm hooked!

i'm sure your not the twat you make yourself out to be... on your dz your probally pretty funny and an ok guy.

Why not give people a break?

help them out rather then critizize, i'm sure you know a lot with your jump numbers, use your knowledge in a clever way. and educate others so they learn something.

How would you personally help people who are in danger of getting defruaded? it is happening on this website as previously mentioned, what is an easy soloution to it? in your opinion?

How would you personally help people who are in danger of getting defruaded? it is happening on this website as previously mentioned, what is an easy soloution to it? in your opinion?

Every one of my students gets the offer from me to help investigate any purchases, inspect gear, and handle escrow if the wish. And several have taken me up on it. After 5 years in gear sales I have a little to offer.

As for your friend, I have no idea what you're on about.

Every one of my students gets the offer from me to help investigate any purchases, inspect gear, and handle escrow if the wish. And several have taken me up on it. After 5 years in gear sales I have a little to offer.

thanks diablo.. that really helps the op and anyone else who may be scammed in the future.

So now we need to figure a way of putting all future transactions and aff students through diablo,

But what if they are NOT your student, haven't gotten info from there DZ and are inexperienced in internet buying!!!!...

These are the people we are talking about.THEY are the ones that would benefit!!!!

Are you saying they are somehow not worthy of our help if we can offer it???????

[REPLY]It's not about fucking anyone. If someone is dumb enough to spend several thousand dollars buying something in another country without researching exactly who they are buying from, they can't be too surprised when they find out it's a scam. It's basic common sense, not a PhD dissertation Crazy This is true of any higher dollar purchase, whether skydiving or not. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who blindly wire money overseas.

Ditto.... it doesn't have anything to do with screwing anybody. In fact, this doesn't even have to have anything to do with skydiving in general, but instead proper etiquette and procedures of what one should know (and imo, what is common sense) when you purchase things over the internet; ebay, dropzone.com, whatever.

There is only so much dz.com can do to safegard the classifieds for users and sellers, and I think they are doing an OK job, but in a situation like this if a person misses the very obvious red flags and warnings, there is really not much they can do. They can police the community but will have a hard time protecting each individual purchase, especially if done impulsively and without thought or notice to all the warning signs.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Skybitch said she aint cho mama. DZ.com ain't yo mama either.

It's a sad thing that people get scammed on the internet. But people get scam in every aspect of life. Maybe DZ.com could put a Scam Alert landing page between the click to the classified and the actual classified page, but the clicker will be so "excited about their new gear", they'll hurry past that that to get to the pretty pictures...so we'll need two landing pages then three, then four.

At the bottom of the forums is a thread dedicated to scams. That's really not enough?

Perhaps the only reason for a person to visit DZ.com is to buy and sell gear. That's selfish and not the intent of this site. The claissifieded is SMALL PART of what DZ.com has to offer. Some of the other "small things" things this site has to offer is an enormaus amount information on HOW TO NOT GET RIPPED OFF ON THE INTERNET. Not just with gear, but everything you can learn here can be applied to any transition on the internet.

This isn't smug or skygod talk, it's called learning about the pitfalls of life on the internet.

Jon

Now will ya marry me, Bitch:$?

[reply. They can police the community but will have a hard time protecting each individual purchase, especially if done impulsively and without thought or notice to all the warning signs.

But this is what im saying......" All the warning signs "

Many people (myself included) never saw the warning sign unitl they look for it !!!!!!!!!! All i was asking ,was to make something like that warning sign into a sticky, or something similar at the top of the classifieds ...... THATS ALL!!!!!!

Just put the 1 warning notice somewhere more obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[:/]

Its been fun but i think ive made my point now
caio

[reply. They can police the community but will have a hard time protecting each individual purchase, especially if done impulsively and without thought or notice to all the warning signs.

But this is what im saying......" All the warning signs "

Many people (myself included) never saw the warning sign unitl they look for it !!!!!!!!!! All i was asking ,was to make something like that warning sign into a sticky, or something similar at the top of the classifieds ...... THATS ALL!!!!!!

Just put the 1 warning notice somewhere more obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[:/]

Its been fun but i think ive made my point now
caio

>:(BUT>:(

Yes, you have tried to make your point, BUT...

You can put "stickies" in forums, but not on content pages. The classifieds aren't forums. They are a section of the of the site that contains content.

See, you may just be starting to learn something:)
Jon

edit to clarify

thanks diablo.. that really helps the op and anyone else who may be scammed in the future.

So now we need to figure a way of putting all future transactions and aff students through diablo,

The OP's plight, while sad, is not my problem. Now you're gonna say what I do isn't good enough.

WTF are YOU going to do to help the OP?

oh my god !!!

This has NOT A FUCKING THING to do with skydiving gear.

People who got scammed "buying" ads from this site had just as much chance getting scammed buying from craigslist, eBay, etc.

IT'S THE PEOPLE WHO FUCKED UP, NOT THE SITE.

Holy shit...not at me...right?

Jon