jvcvudu

Drugs and DZs

the alcoholic stays up all night causing ruckus, doing stupid things, coming up with bad ideas, while the pot head is sitting infront of the fire, 'chilin', and usually goes to bed much earlier then everyone else and wakes up without a splitting head ache, an overwhelming feeling of nausea, head to toe body ache, etc.

You CAN'T really believe that, Do you?
You have got to be shittin me!

I've had plenty of hangovers in my time from drinking too much the night before, but I've never had that kind of sensation after a night smoking, so I definitely believe it and I'm not shitting you.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Edit2Add: I think it's clear that ANY drug consumption (except coffee&ciggys) during OR before the jump activites is strictly forbidden, EVERYWHERE..

Not true. While a particular DZ may have an operating procedure or policy to the activity you speak of with such conviction, there is no law that prevents one from consuming a beer and jumping from a plane. The FAR’s make clear reference to jumping while “under the influence”, however the FAA does not define “under the influence” for skydivers.

Doesn't this fall under Pilot in Command?

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

"I jump sober, do you?"

Well, Yes, Yes I do. If fact for a lot of years and lots of jumps at lots of DZ's.

"do what you do and leave everyone else the hell alone"

That’s been my mantra for many years. All I do is jump and stay more current in the air than on a keyboard. Wow! I am proud to have been attacked by someone having so much experience in the sport as listed in your profile. Proud indeed. Thank you for putting me in my place.

J

Hey Judy,
The responsibility of not allowing someone to jump “under the influence” is shared by DZO, DZM and pilot in command. From the FAR’s:

Sec. 105.7 Use of alcohol and drugs
No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft, if that person is or appears to be under the influence of--

(a) Alcohol, or

(b) Any drug that affects that person's faculties in any way contrary to safety.

Again, “under the influence” is not defined and remains unclear. There are specific BAC standards for flying a plane, driving a car, commercial truck, school bus, operating a train, etc. Yet, there is no standard in skydiving and therefore, left to interpretation.

Due to an individuals tolerance of alcohol, one person may have a beer and not be able to find their way to manifest while someone else may drink a 12 pack within a few hours of jumping and not appear to have had a drop of alcohol in their system. Additionally, there are those that look like they just came off skid row and have never consumed alcohol in their life. There is way to much grey area regarding this issue and I have never witnessed a DZO or Pilot perform Standard Field Sobriety Testing prior to boarding a jump plane.

If this is a mater of such concern for the skydiving community as a whole, then perhaps it should be addressed. I personally have not witnessed a situation where common sense and self policing within our community having not prevailed.

"I jump sober, do you?"

Well, Yes, Yes I do. If fact for a lot of years and lots of jumps at lots of DZ's.

"do what you do and leave everyone else the hell alone"

That’s been my mantra for many years. All I do is jump and stay more current in the air than on a keyboard. Wow! I am proud to have been attacked by someone having so much experience in the sport as listed in your profile. Proud indeed. Thank you for putting me in my place.

it seems funny how you say 'than on a keyboard' what the hell are you doin right now smart ass, and i was not attacking you, maybe if you didnt think so much about yourself you would be able to see the true nature of the statement, what i was trying to say was a general statement not directed at you or anyone else in particualar, just simply to say everybody needs to stop worrying about everyone else, and take care of themselves, and if you are stupid enough to get high/drunk and jump out of a plane, well you will be meeting your demise real soon and hopefully they dont take any of us with them, i frimly believe in a nice cold beverage at the end of the day, and equally enjoy puttin something in the air (if you understand what i mean), but please dont think i was attacking you with any of those comments, i mean if someone is really putting someones life in danger well then by all means intervene but if not then leave them and everyone else the hell alone, and do your own damn thing, those people are like rich housewives, they have nothing else better to do but point the finger and cause drama where it does not need to be

and yes i am on the computer right now becasue it is -30 wind chill, and i am waiting for the snow to head up to the mountain, so when you deal with seasons, sometimes you have to turn to the comp to get your fix until the weather moves on
blue skies!!!

something nobody has mentioned here is that if a person jumping has consumed alchohol before jumping that the pilot of the aircraft can be held responsible for a death. TM's holding a class 2 medical should be under the same rules as any commercial pilot. Yes there are idiots out there. It is a TM's job to be responsible and give the client the best and safest experience he/she can. Off hours fine! don't show up the next morning hung over and reeking, bad P.R.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

"Hey you don't mind if I fire up do ya, you know you might wantnna take uh couple of hit of this before you go out the door. It makes the trip down real interesting!" -Truman Sparks

The tragedy of it all is that some of the peeps have no clue what your talking about and havent seen it yet :)

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

"Hey you don't mind if I fire up do ya, you know you might wantnna take uh couple of hit of this before you go out the door. It makes the trip down real interesting!" -Truman Sparks

The tragedy of it all is that some of the peeps have no clue what your talking about and havent seen it yet :)

Roy

Key word being...YET!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I agree with Phreezone on this one - and I think we need to be looking at this issue from a DZO's standpoint.

here was an incident about 10 years ago now when a TM had smoked some pot then went up on a jump and ended up killing both of them. Everyone lost out big on that since it cost a lot of money to defend the gear makers from an action that an instructor did.

Look at this - from almost ANY perspective, the problem is centered around the fact that this TM had some THC in his blood - Hypothetically, a freak accident could have killed them, but that fact is hidden by resounding noise of a positive drug test postmortem.
Prudish as it sounds, those who abuse these kind of drugs are IMHO, not the greatest decision makers and not people I would want around. Given the facts, frankly I'm surprised any of you can have any degree of tolerance for this at all!!

I am not a DZO, but I can tell you that if I knew instructional staff was having issues with abusing illegal substances, I would bring it to the attention of the S&TA posthaste. [:/]
=========Shaun ==========

No, can't agree. Alcohol is alcohol and drugs are drugs.

Alcohol IS A DRUG

Indeed!

I know more than 10 skydivers who have a serious drinking problem, but no skydiver who has a problem because of his consumption of marijuana or pot.

Yes - Alcohol cause Anger, Hate, Aggression wich lead to the dark side of the Force...

Edit2Add: I think it's clear that ANY drug consumption (except coffee&ciggys) during OR before the jump activites is strictly forbidden...

BTW
What about tradition to bring a bottle of champagne on the jubilee load???

Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

It was once illegal for a black man to eat in the same diner as you. It was once legal to beat your wife. Some laws were meant to be broken, others not...

and it's illegal for single women to skydive on sundays in Florida :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Edit2Add: I think it's clear that ANY drug consumption (except coffee&ciggys) during OR before the jump activites is strictly forbidden, EVERYWHERE..

Not true. While a particular DZ may have an operating procedure or policy to the activity you speak of with such conviction, there is no law that prevents one from consuming a beer and jumping from a plane. The FAR’s make clear reference to jumping while “under the influence”, however the FAA does not define “under the influence” for skydivers.

J

Thats what I thought too, 8 hours from drinking to flying....

It's when they get high before boarding that plane when it becomes an issue.

So the Sunset H&P at alti, to enjoy the peacefulness and beauty granted to us by God, whilst burning a big fatty isn't an issue.... other than gettting the damn thing lit anyway. :)
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

It's when they get high before boarding that plane when it becomes an issue.

So the Sunset H&P at alti, to enjoy the peacefulness and beauty granted to us by God, whilst burning a big fatty isn't an issue.... other than gettting the damn thing lit anyway. :)

Leave the brakes on 'till ya get it roasting! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~