Pitbull83

Skydiving Tattoo

Hey all, I've been racking my brain for over a month now trying to design a tattoo that represents my love of skydiving. I don't want just a dude parachuting or something lame like that, so I figured a bird may symbolize the whole flight thing, but that seemed kinda lame too. Bottom line, I can't come up with anything good, and I was wondering if any of you have a cool tattoo you got that symbolizes your skydiving, and if you could share your ideas. Aloha.

I love how this thread -- with one exception -- is filled exclusively with posts from low-timers. Those of us who are still in our "holy crap skydiving" phase that reportedly calms down around jump 100 or so. Just a funny observation.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

well since everyone knews me as lead (like a pipe or a bullet)

im getting a open canopy but instead of having a person attached to it...its gonna have a bullet swinging from it..

ill have that by next summer..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

I love how this thread -- with one exception -- is filled exclusively with posts from low-timers. Those of us who are still in our "holy crap skydiving" phase that reportedly calms down around jump 100 or so. Just a funny observation.

Ya I noticed that too... I was going to say, wait on the tattoo 6 months to make sure A) you still want a tat, and B) to make sure you are still skydiving...:P

For some of us the fun of skydiving never goes away.... For some of (you) (not necessarily those in this thread), you will quit before your 50th jump...

But then again, if you have jumped (other than tandem), you are in our group, so there is nothing wrong with marking your body with a skydiving symbol... (Now, if you never have jumped and just wanted a skydiving tat, well, that would be like wearing a NSync Tee Shirt to a Back Street Boys concert).

First,think long and hard BEFORE ya get inked!!! Read some of the other post in this thread,so if you check my profile you'll see I've been in the sport since '96 with 1300 or so jumps. But just to maybe give ya some ideas I got 2 skydiving related tats.1- is on my right upper bicep done to look like 3chrome curved closing pin on a chain wrapped around my arm.each pin is for a brother lost to the sport. 2nd tat is a ying-yang skyblue & black on opposite sides with BLUE SKIES/BLACK DEATH
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I love how this thread -- with one exception.

I've been jumping over 20 years now, and I don't have a tat. I've seen many of my friends go out and get them though, and see those state of the art tats of the latest hot main get mistaken for 220 sq ft reserves decades later. I've seen hot pics of 8 ways commented on with "where are their booties?" by younger jumpers. I've seen sit flyers in spandex shorts with those arm wing things laughed at, and skysurfing come and go.

Whatever you put on your body, remember it needs to either deliberately mark a time in your life you want to preserve, or be timeless enough to stay in vougue for a lifetime.

I've seen ripcords go to pull-outs go to curved pins, and Capewells go to shot and a halfs go to 3 rings, and reserve handles go to pillows, and in some cases go back again.

I've seen a few good Grim Reaper tats. Death is always there.

I've also seen a few good CRW tats, because dispite the changes in technology, they're still 7 cells and a wrap and knives will always feature in that disipline sooner or later.

I've seen a few good "trauma tats" and once toyed with the idea of having a zipper tag at the bottom of my 16 inch femur scar, but decieded against it.

In the end, it's all up to you.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I've got a load of tattoos many of which are a lot of fairly small reminders of things and people in my life made into a growing design. Unless we've had a shared experience you'd be lucky to guess what most of them symbolise so when I decided I was hooked on skydiving I chose to get a closing pin hidden in the design. Skydivers notice it but no one else does which was my intention.
------------------------------------------------
We're a' just machines for makin' shite.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://fscwasteland.com/inky/pointywi.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fscwasteland.com/inky/sketches.html&h=529&w=378&sz=34&tbnid=ARUcKP9hYNYJ:&tbnh=129&tbnw=92&hl=en&start=34&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwinged%2Bcreature%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Look at this link. Just my two cents worth, but I have an affinity for fairies and wings creatures... so if you look at the pointy, winged creature on that page, you may want to go for something like that?

Just an idea.. I always said if I do get a tat, it will be designed by myself and I would probably start by looking at other pics of what i would put on my body.

B|
www.sneale-create.com

Check this thread out from a couple of years ago; I liked the guy's design enough to use it myself... Also a few other suggestions in the thread.

clicky

Ivan
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I have a bicep tattoo that is Japanese Kanji writing with a flame background. The modern translation for the kanji is skydiver and it's literal translation is Flying Man. Don't rush getting a tat, get what you really want, and have it done by a professional. You get what you pay for.

If you're considering getting a tattoo in a language that you don't speak (e.g., Japanese or Chinese), you may find the following website interesting:

http://hanzismatter.com/

Basically, it points out that a lot of people get tattoos that don't say what they think they mean either out of (a) poor penmanship in the part of the artist, or (b) mistranslation (or the part of the person getting the tat, the artist, or both). Apparently, the reference books that a lot of artists use have a bunch of characters misdrawn or mirror imaged. For example, one of the reference books has the Kanji character for "Puppet" listed as "Death". Kind of takes the cool factor on that one down a notch or two, I guess...

Two favorites, for those who don't have time to check out the site:

First is the tatoo that the Pheonix Suns' Shawn Marion got. It was supposed to be the Chinese translation of "The Matrix" (as in the movie), but it came out as "Demon Bird Mothballs". Actually, I think Demon Bird Mothballs would be a great name for a skydiver, but that's another issue.

Second is the tat that a random submitter sent in. She had what she thought was "Air Goddess" put on her lower back -- right about her butt -- but what was actually written was "Exotic Atmosphere", which, if you think about the location of it, might work just the same....

Check this thread out from a couple of years ago; I liked the guy's design enough to use it myself... Also a few other suggestions in the thread.

clicky

Ivan

That's PSUCory's "skydance" drawing. After getting his permission, I got that tattoo on my lower back last summer.:)

This dude at my dropzone has cutaway and reserve handles tattooed on his side where they would be. He also has a cypress on the back of his neck where it would go. It is a bit extreme but still pretty cool.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th