Heyman777

gotta pay for main and freebag on a chop????

Never heard of that and I would never pay for it. There is no way to guarentee no cutaways and they probably cant prove its your fault. (not saying it was) If it was your fault then they better have a contract signd by you stating you take responsiblility for lost gear.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

>i was packing for a DZ, all of a sudden i have to pay for any lost
>equipment on a cutaway. WTF.

Depends on the DZ. It's important to find these things out _before_ you start packing for them, so you can decide whether or not you want to work there.

i was packing for a DZ, all of a sudden i have to pay for any lost equipment on a cutaway. WTF. Is this going on anywhere else?>:(

Fuck that, if the spot is that bad you cant find your kit, blame the jumper not the packer
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

tell them to go to hell, 5$ isnt worth that horseshit, you can be the most meticulous packer and shit still happens - tossing nylon and string into 100+mph winds doesnt always work.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I've always wondered what would happen if as a student on rental gear I had to cut away and the main was lost

That is something that you should definitely know before you start renting.

Unlike the OP's case which is complete bollocks, a lot of DZ's do require you to replace any gear lost/damaged when renting.

...a lot of DZ's do require you to replace any (rental) gear lost/damaged when renting.

I agree with that...Big-Boy Rules and all that.

But a packer?
He's working at the wrong place.
Sounds like a Skyride scam...on the employees.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

i was packing for a DZ, all of a sudden i have to pay for any lost equipment on a cutaway. WTF. Is this going on anywhere else?>:(

that sounds reasonable as long as they also pay you extra for the ones that work [:/]
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

so then....are these the NEW rules???
or WAS there a cutaway, ??? after which you were INFORMED that it's YOUR financial responsibility???

either way... I call bullshit.... let WHO ever cut away the main,,, pay for it ... or else ( DUH ) have them
go out and FIND the gear !!!!!... It didn't float away into outer space,, after all!!!:o:DB|:S

sorry to hear of your dilemma

a policy like that,, is worse than russian roulette,,
one hasty chop,,, and there go ALL your wages... for like 3 or 4 HUNDRED pack jobs...

that's ridiculous....:S>:(:S:P

jmy

Packers should also be skilled to pack good spots and safe landings. Also, as an aside... 360°, 720°, 1,080° openings are actually on-heading with scenery. Another also... they are your jumper, you're not their packer. And another... You are essentially cleaning up the mess they leave on the floor and it is their option to jump it, loan it or sell it.

If someone wants you to pay for free-bags etc. then they need to pay a retainer, a deposit on services... something other than the snob approach that says packers are rug rats and dispensable.

Whoever told you that is a fool.

Troll accusation.
This is my first.

Voice of reason with no cursing or emotion:
Preface- I did not have time to read the entire thread.

If that policy wasn't up front and in writing, legally, you are not financially responsible.
That being said...

What was the malfunction?
There is a big difference between cutaway for line twist and for a line-over. One is possibly not your fault the other absolutely is. If it was the former I would just say no and see what happens.

If it was a lineover or other gross packing error:
You would have an ethical obligation to stop working and spend the rest of the day trying to recover the lost gear. Ethically, you should try to find a compromise with owner and work off the cost over time. Then you should get some more training from a rigger on packing technique.

I have all gear renters sign an agreement that they are responsible for lost equipment on a cutaway. But not packers. It's part of the business.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

I've always wondered what would happen if as a student on rental gear I had to cut away and the main was lost.

Read the waiver when you sign it. Ours says students are responsible for any damage beyond normal wear and tear. It hasn't always been enforced, and for legitimate student cutaways I have know of lost handles or freebags let slide (last thing you want a student doing is riding a bad canopy into the ground worried about losing stuff and how much its gonna cost) but I heard a story from before my time about a S/L student who was sure that the canopy wouldn't open and chopped almost immediately from a good, open canopy. She was made to pay for the lost freebag and reserve repack.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Voice of reason with no cursing or emotion:
Preface- I did not have time to read the entire thread.

If that policy wasn't up front and in writing, legally, you are not financially responsible.
That being said...

What was the malfunction?
There is a big difference between cutaway for line twist and for a line-over. One is possibly not your fault the other absolutely is. If it was the former I would just say no and see what happens.

You would have an ethical obligation to stop working and spend the rest of the day trying to recover the lost gear. Ethically, you should try to find a compromise with owner and work off the cost over time. Then you should get some more training from a rigger on packing technique.

I have all gear renters sign an agreement that they are responsible for lost equipment on a cutaway. But not packers. It's part of the business.

Lineovers are not always packing errors. Sometimes they are, sometimes there are other factors.

Step-throughs and mis-routed pilot chutes are about the only malfunctions that can be directly attributed to packing. IMHO. And no, I'm not a packer.

- Dan G

-------------------------------------------------------
As a packer, if someone I packed for had a mal and cut, I would absolutely feel horrible if there was even the possibilty it was my fault. I would absolutely go out and help the jumper and others find the lost gear (I would whether I am the packer or not). I would absolutely NOT pay for their lost gear.

Working jumpers are a little different, since they often don't have time to pack for themselves, but as an experienced fun jumper if you use a packer it is up to you whether or not you trust that person enough to jump that pack job. Packers CAN NEVER gaurantee a nice opening or that no malfunction will occur. Every jumper should know how to pack and should also be aware of the risks of letting someone else pack for you.

Packers should not be responsible to pay for lost gear unless there is ABSOLUTE proof that it was a blatant and reckless packing error.
Well behaved women don't often make history.

I'm both a rigger and have been a packer and I'll have to disagree with you from my experience. How would a lineover occur without packing error? To which additonal conrtibuting factors are you referring?

List of some additional packing errors:
Gross errors- Uncocked p/c or collapsed slider resulting in broken lines or torn canopy, allowing foreign matter (rubber bands etc.) to be in the canopy interfering with it's opening.

Subjective errors- Improper line stows, improperly or un-stowed brake, & excessive nose rolling.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

I have not heard of this anywhere.

I think this might be the early stages of the manifestation of 'mainstream' skydiving and perhaps a prelude to jumpers expecting a packer to pay for a repack when the reserve is used.

Compare service to your vehicle - oil change, brakes, tranny etc. If the service is not performed properly, then you could expect some sort of compensation for failure of the vehicle because of improper repair or maintenance.

If 'mainstream' jumpers are lead to believe or have the expectations that a malfunction is not likely to occur, then they might want a packer to 'pay up' when the bad stuff happens, just like Joe the Oil Changer would have to pay up if he did not tighten the oil plug tight enough. Then again 'paying for lost stuff' implies that the opening point and surrounding terrain, may be major factors in whether or not equipment is lost. That is the jumpers responsibility, not the packer.

In order for such a business model to take hold (become mainstream), the pay for a pack job would have to significantly increase.
IOW, if pack jobs were $20 and your customers had a malfunction (for whatever reason) only every 500 pack jobs, then it might be worth it. You have to add in the fact that not every malfunction results in lost equipment. Mains cost so much today, you might even have to charge $100 per pack job.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker