livendive

What equipment is "necessary"?

I voted for what I currently utilize on a jump. On an RW jump, a jumpsuit, full-face helmet, altimeter (visual), altimeter (audible - just got it recently B|), and a Cypress (and a hook knife).

On a FF jump, I just wear regular clothes as I currently haven't purchased any FF gear.

Let's see - necessary on every jump - a rig :P and for me either goggles or a helmet (don't like watering eyes :D). I've jumped without a Cypress and without an audible altimeter. When my Cypress goes in for it's 4 year, yes, I'd jump without it. And, if I forgot my altimeter, I'd still jump. Wouldn't be as comfortable, but I know when my brain is screaming "PULL!!!!" is usually within my pulling altitude (2,000-3,000 ft.).

Would I be as comfortable without the altimeter? No...I like to be able to double check what my eyes are seeing. Was I comfortable when I jumped without a Cypress? Yes, when I turn on my Cypress in the morning...I forget it's there until the next time I turn it on.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

jump suit- gone naked so no
helmet - only when doing camera and formation and stupid jumps
AAD - when possble
Audible - when I remember to turn it on
Visual - like to have it, will not ride the plane down
Goggles - like to have then, have lost two pairs of sunglases and a visor in freefal, not a deal breaker

Now lets talk bout combinations, no helmet, no cypress, big way, people I don't know... no way.:o on the account that I've gotten a knee in the face with a full face helmet and man did it hurt my neck.:S probably woul've been knocked out if not for the helmet.

on a perfect skydive, give me two canopies, two handles and a hackie. :)

Long as I have a rig with two square parachutes (harness and handles also of course) I'm good to go. Shoes are about the only other thing I won't jump without.

That said, my last couple hundred jumps have been with a rig, goggles, helmet, audible alti, visual alti, hook knife, Cypres and RSL. I own them so I figure there's no reason to not jump with them. In that time I've forgotten to turn on the Cypres once and forgotten to turn on the audible once; I jumped both times anyway.

I don't consider a jumpsuit to be a safety related item. I wear one on most of the jumps I make because I think I fly better with it on.

That said, my last couple hundred jumps have been with a rig, goggles, helmet, audible alti, visual alti, hook knife, Cypres and RSL.

Same here (sans RSL though, and full-face instead of googles). I cant recal if I did any jumps without an visual alti, though I think so on a RW group when I coulnt find mine.

However, I dont think I did a jump without all these items.

Remster

I've never looked at my altimeter during a cutaway; I've always had more important things to do, like trying to clear it or actually cutting away.

LOL. People ask "How high were you when you cutaway?" My only answer is "High enough." A look at the trees will tell you when it's time to go.:o

I'm curious about the goggles part. Do most people wear goggles on hop and pops? If I had to lose one piece of gear before exit, goggles would come pretty high on the list of things I can live without.

I'm more curious about the 14 people who said they won't jump without a jumpsuit. Although it can prevent some minor scratches, I just don't get it. I've seen people who put a jumpsuit on just to do a hop & pop, and these were people who weren't worried about grass stains from a downwind swoop or anything. Anyone who clicked that one want to clue us in?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Jumpsuit wasn't on my list so I can't speak for them, but I do know at least one person that's had to go to his reserve because his t-shirt had wrapped over the bottom of his container. I just make sure to tuck my shirt in when I go jumpsuitless, but a jumpsuit would probably be a better way of preventing that.

Dave

I would say on a jump that reaches terminal velocity, for me would be the goggles. And a parachute or 2.
Would jump without none of the rest. Did jump to terminal without :
audible
AAD
Helmet (was on a tandem jump, but would do it on a "normal" jump too)
clothes
RSL

Never jumped without :
parachute :P
visual alti (but would do it in certain cases)
shoes (or sandals) (would do it depending on the planned landing area)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Never jumped without :
parachute :P

I have. Jumped head first out the back of a Mi-8 into lake near Imatra, Finland (10 meters and 15 KTS). Damn near killed myself when I got the wind knocked out of me on entry into the water. I logged it as gear: none and delay: N/A.

Bob

>"Necessary" for what?

When I ask that question, I generally qualify it with "for a jump of your choice." Summer hop and pop out of a 182 - I don't need anything but a rig. 300 way from 24,000 feet - I'm going to be chock full of bits of equipment.

WAW... but in the end, can it still be logged ?
Oh yeah, in english speaking parts it can, 'cause you are skydivers. We French speaking people still are parachutists... so we basically need a parachute to be able to log the jump. :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hop & Pops is all I do (CReW) and I never wear goggles. Don't like helmets but not proud of it. Hook-knife(x2) is on the top of my list, alti on the bottom, nothing in between. Will exit without but no CReW.

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

I've only made 1 jump without an altimeter, that I can recall and that was because an instructor on the airplane forget his and we decided he needed his more than me since I was just doing a tandem video.

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

A lot depends on the jump. I have jumped without any of the things up there on the top... but that was then.. this is now.

I like to know what alti I am at.. even under canopy.. so a visual is good to have.... a helmet is good to have when you need it...and goggles make it a whole lot easier to see in freefall.

Jumpsuit.. who needs a jumpsuitB|

Nowadays I have all of the above ... just because... they all add up to make things safer.. so I have them on every jump...

Bump because it seems relevant to the device dependence thread.

Blues,
Dave

Necessary for what? Speed skydiving contest? Birdman jump? 357 way attempt? 4-way Open at Nationals?

It's an ill-posed question.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bump because it seems relevant to the device dependence thread.

Blues,
Dave

Necessary for what? Speed skydiving contest? Birdman jump? 357 way attempt? 4-way Open at Nationals?

Posted 23 April, 2004

"Necessary" for what? A solo fun skydive on a hot day, or serious competition, or a 150-way, or a jump over the North Pole?

And that’s a repeat of your response from 23 April last year. If you feel it is that bad of a question, don't respond. Seems simple to me.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Well, the question said:

Note - I'm not referring to emergency bail-outs or anything like that, I'm talking about normal everyday jumps.

If you do 357-ways or compete in nationals on your normal everyday jumps, then answer that way.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Well, the question said:

Note - I'm not referring to emergency bail-outs or anything like that, I'm talking about normal everyday jumps.

If you do 357-ways or compete in nationals on your normal everyday jumps, then answer that way.

Blues,
Dave

These require practice, don't they? You wouldn't practice with your 4-way team in different equipment than you compete in.

You can't do a birdman jump without the suit.

The question is ill-posed because it co-mingles all the different requirements into a single list.

Kind of surprised "Hook knife" isn't on the list, too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.