npgraphicdesign

How long did it take for you to perfect your landings?

I know from experience that noone bats 100% on their landings. So far, I've had only 1 stand-up landing. The ones that I've done on my own, sans any radio help, I either flared a little early, little late, or simply had my feet go out from under me. I am having trouble gauging the distance at which I need to flare. Does that come with experience, repetition, etc?

Curious how long it took everyone else to get their landing to a point where most are good stand-up landings.

Took me at least 30-40. Student rigs are large, have less forward speed, and therefore less lift. I've found the hardest canopy to flare was an F111 260.

As my canopy sizes went down, in addition to jumping a hybrid Navigator, the easier it was to time the flare.

Once I transitioned to 100% ZP, on my Spectre 190, flaring became much easier, and I started to have consistent landings.

So, take into account airspeed vs. lift. If you're jumping a lightly loaded hybrid, your flare is going to be quicker than someone swooping in on a highly loaded canopy. In fact, even on my Spectre, any additional speed on landing, and just quarter-brakes will turn me into a pop-tart.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Reasonably perfect, oh, about 500 maybe.

Good enough for me (no biffing in, reasonably where I wanted to be): slightly over 100. (Except #256, on the biffing in part. Then I really outdid myself on that part. :o)

Good and safe enough for my instructors (do not forget PLF, mostly hit the right field): 2.

Johan.
I am. I think.

I don't really remember how long it took to get my landings consistent. My first canopy was F1-11 PD 9cell 150. I had that for my first 100 jumps and then went to a Sabre 2 150. It was much harder to land the PD 9cell then it was for the Sabre 2. The flares were much different. I was pretty consistent on my PD 9cell by the time I bought the Sabre 2. Then it took at least 50 jumps to figure out the Sabre 2 landings. So about 150 jumps or so to have fairly consistent landings. By consistent I don't mean perfect landings, just landing on my feet.

HA, HA, HA, HA...... I work on that every jump. I don't know anyone who has them "perfected"... even the best canopy pilots I know tumble some when "pushing the envelope".

I would not equate "stand-up" with perfect. Under some conditions, a well planned PLF is FAR preferable to a poorly executed attempt to stand up. When the wind is honking, the spot is lousy, your canopy snivels a long way and you are landing out on a field.... a PLF may be the "perfect" landing!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

It took around 50 jumps to get my stand ups to out number the non stand ups. It stayed that way until I tore my ACL and I couldn't run anymore. Actually I can run, but the impact from the first step is bad for me.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I've had three non-standup landings. Two were in 30+ winds where I shouldn't have been jumping anyway (around 450 jumps). On the other I was exhausted from a long spot and riding my rear risers in. I went to flare and had nothing. Did a nice superman slide into second base and proceeded to laugh at myself.

You'll get the landings. Try not to look at the ground directly when landing. Keep your eyes on the horizon, or at least out in front of you. Its nothing 1000 jumps won't cure. :)
Good luck and most importantly - have fun.

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I can't say I've had a hard time with landings (accuracy still needs tweaking). I slid in on AFF 1, PLF'd around jump #8 and again at around
mid-50-ish. . .I thought the ground was just a hair closer than it actually was but, when I put my foot down, it wasn't there!! When the foot and ground DID meet there was no standing up running out etc. . .Just a big fatty roll through the grass, lines and, canopy. I had to untangle a little step through when I went to re-pack:D

I have had a couple of hard step-downs but nothing that I would consider "bad".
But, I'm fairly impact resistant:S. I've been doing crazy flips and shit for over a decade on brick or concrete. . .

If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

How long did it take for you to perfect your landings?

Curious how long it took everyone else to get their landing to a point where most are good stand-up landings.

Hmm. Consistently good stand up landings? 2 jumps. Perfect landings? Ask again in a few thousand jumps time.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Statistics say there will be people who were better and worse in respect to standing up landings. Being generous you've only had at most 77 seconds of flaring. Give it time to get into muscle memory. Don't sweat the style points, as long as your not pounding in or being a danger to others. It will come to you

About 100 to stop "pranging" myself into the ground.

If you're having trouble getting the timing on the flare right, you may be looking down where your feet are going to touch, and not out in front of you at the horizon enough. You'll loose the ability to judge height rapidly if you keep looking down.

Looking out to the horizon will give you the height information and also allows you to have an easier time keeping the wing level over you when landing.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I would not equate "stand-up" with perfect. Under some conditions, a well planned PLF is FAR preferable to a poorly executed attempt to stand up. When the wind is honking, the spot is lousy, your canopy snivels a long way and you are landing out on a field.... a PLF may be the "perfect" landing!

+1:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I slid in the first 4; almost afraid to try to stand up. JM gave me a little grief "C'mon, get yer feet under you and just stand up!"

On #5 I did it and it worked. I thought (reaching across desk and hitting EASY button) "That was easy."

Since that day I've had half a dozen biffs, moslty because of late adjustments caused by approach errors; all the rest have been stood up.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Ok, don't mean to hi-jack, but I've been having trouble with stand-ups too. I think this question is related. I hear a lot of instructors and jumpers saying to look out at the horizon. Is this the best technique? I ask because I find myself looking out more to a 45 degree angle, and when I find it, I try to keep my eye on the magic spot. Would that give me enough ground rush to flare pre-maturely?

Thanks!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

I know from experience that noone bats 100% on their landings. So far, I've had only 1 stand-up landing. The ones that I've done on my own, sans any radio help, I either flared a little early, little late, or simply had my feet go out from under me. I am having trouble gauging the distance at which I need to flare. Does that come with experience, repetition, etc?

It was much easier to land my own gear softly than well-worn big parachutes of rentals and student rigs.

While easier to land a newer and smaller ZP, the error margin is smaller, so it is easier to hurt yourself than a botched landing under your big student parachute.

Learn to land the student parachute safely, then you'll probably be relieved when you go to a appropriate regular beginner canopy. But it DOES become easier. Talk to your favourite people at the dropzone.

first 10 were perfect. I mean text book. Then i started thinking about them and I will always have the light scarring to show off. But now right around 100 I am finally using my muscle memory and feel that I can land consistent throughout a variation of conditions. Maybe around 200 I'll have it all down great. i still get people on the ground to record my landings using my camera and I review them and that has totally helped. plus I went from using student 190 to owning my custom v-3 with pilot 150 and it rocks!!!!!! Also look ahead when you're on final. Not down and when you think oh shit it's time to flare say oh shit like two more times and you'll be good. And the one thing i learned is DON'T stab it. Nice, easy controlled flare.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

John, when you were young I don't believe they had invented mistakes yet -- therefore you did everything right :ph34r:

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)