finch

Packing

Finch, although it is OK to use a shoe lace for practicing do not use a shoe-lace for a rig you are going to jump. There was a fatality in the past few years when someone who had used a shoe lace for a pack job had the plastic tip (the "aglet") come off the shoe lace and get jammed in the closing loop. Horseshoe malfuntion was the end result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aglet

[url]http://www.paragear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=265#PULLUP

Sorry I couldn't make it clicky. I tried.

Paragear sells pull up cords for 25 cents each. I think their minimum internet order is $25. I don't know much about dropzone etiquette but I'd recommend buying a bunch and always having them on hand for yourself and anybody who needs one. If you're broke like me and everybody else I know, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple to get you by.
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

weed-eater string.(the round kind)

its round solid plastic and it has a smooth slippery surface once your pin is in it pulls out super smooth and easy.

it does not wear your closing loop from friction like a pull up cord, shoe lace,power tool.....etc
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Finch, although it is OK to use a shoe lace for practicing do not use a shoe-lace for a rig you are going to jump. There was a fatality in the past few years when someone who had used a shoe lace for a pack job had the plastic tip (the "aglet") come off the shoe lace and get jammed in the closing loop. Horseshoe malfuntion was the end result.

Its amazing how if there is any possible way you could die by doing something in skydiving its already happened. Death by aglet...haha who would have thunk.

Im going to cut the aglets off and use a flame to tidy up the ends.

Beware: melted ends can have sharp edges on them.

And pulling the cord out too fast and/or without the closing pin between cord and loop will quickly (it can happen in one pack job) wear through the closing loop.

im curious how an object in the closing loop would have cause (or even been part of) a horse shoe malfunction? unless the closing pin slipped out of the loop because the plastic allowed it to, but wouldnt that just be possible because the closing loop was too large in the first place??
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

well, i just dont understand how you could get a horse shoe out of that

either the pin wasnt put in the closing loop and the canopy fell out of the container

or it wasnt a horse shoe, if something was holding the bag in the container even after the pc was thrown, then it wouldnt be a horse shoe
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

yeah, that seems to be a total to me

i also wonder why that became a fatality, but thats not my place to judge a jumper like that