Ripley10001

Hypothetical rescue in the air

So I'm a complete novice to this sport, I only just did my first tandem jump today, but I was just wondering something.

Say, two people are jumping together, but seperately. One person has a double parachute malfunction and the other one sees it. He flies over to him and grabs onto him. Now, would it be possible for them to grab on to each other so tight that the rescuer could open his parachute and the other guy would be able to hang on or are the forces involved just too great?

As the "Mythbusters" guys would say; "Plausible, but not likely"

By the time one jumper has a double malfunction, there usually ain't no time left for anyone else to swoop in and grab him.

And even if there was, he's not likely to hold on during opening shock.

+ the malled chutes (asuming they were half deployed) would slow the guy down and the other guy would just freefall past him and couldn't get back at him..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Ok, I'm going to one-up my initial question.

Would you try it if you saw a reasonable chance of reaching the other person?

Probably not. A terminal opening with double the weight has a strong chance of blowing up your main.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

it's unlikely you will ever see anyone try (in my opinion) because
A. the 'other' person (these days) probably has an AAD
B. the 'other' person has a canopy he wants to open very high also

now way back when there is a documented case of someone seeing a pilot chute wrap a bag (all main) and fly over and unwrap it ... but note... in those days, both were perfectly willing to go a little lower...

the chance of you being in the air with someone (these days) who has no AAD and has a main that opens super fast are probably LESS than the chance you will have a double-mal .... so if ya get one... just kiss yer ass goodbye

So I'm a complete novice to this sport, I only just did my first tandem jump today, but I was just wondering something.

Say, two people are jumping together, but seperately. One person has a double parachute malfunction and the other one sees it. He flies over to him and grabs onto him. Now, would it be possible for them to grab on to each other so tight that the rescuer could open his parachute and the other guy would be able to hang on or are the forces involved just too great?

The first thing you do when jumping with other people is fly away. When you do a good job you're over a thousand feet away. Then everyone opens their parachutes at about the same time.

Outside Hollywood you're never going to be close enough to save some one with a double malfunction unless you're an AFF instructor and hanging on at the time they deploy.

They just tried some of the Hollywood parachute myth in the German TV version of mathbusters.

The scene from Point Brake, where someone goes 15 seconds after the first jumper, catches him and holds on to him while opening.

Catching him was easy, holding on impossible, both are at terminal, and if the hold on to eachother, they have less wind resistance and go even faster, so the opening is impossible to hold on.

Ralph
Silence is golden. www.bt-ag.ch

Probably not. A terminal opening with double the weight has a strong chance of blowing up your main.

No. 0% chance of success. Even a sub terminal "Mr. Bill" jump right out the door is pretty difficult to pull off.

My buddy and myself blew one main this spring after 7 second delay on Mr. Bill. Also, I could not hold on and I fell off.
dudeist skydiver #42

No. 0% chance of success. Even a sub terminal "Mr. Bill" jump right out the door is pretty difficult to pull off.

My buddy and myself blew one main this spring after 7 second delay on Mr. Bill. Also, I could not hold on and I fell off.

:o Why did you take 7 seconds!?

We had a hard opening on a Mr. bill yesterday pitching right out that door. We held together but i broke his sunglases with my nose:D

Cant even imagine 7 seconds
BASE 1384

My buddy had a case of hard pull. By the time he managed to pull the PC out, we were going pretty fast. When I saw deploying canopy, i figured that there is a possibility for me to hold on. I was wrong. [:/]
Cost me pretty penny to get that chute fixed. :S
Oh, and this is the link for the video (it is not that good): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtiQJ55nwfE

dudeist skydiver #42

As the "Mythbusters" guys would say; "Plausible, but not likely"

No they wouldn't. That is an oxymoron.

It's plausible because in ideal conditions it might actually be possible. With enough altitude, and a soft opening chute, it could be done. In fact, chuteless jumps HAVE been done, where they fly up to someone else, clip onto them, and then ride the other guy's chute down. The only difference we're talking about here is not clipping on to the other guy's harness. And with strong people and a soft deployment, that's a possibility.

With a lucky rabbit foot, the chances of success are even better.

But in real-life unplanned skydiving situations, it's highly unlikely that the conditions would exist for such a thing to occur.

> Now, would it be possible for them to grab on to each other so tight that
> the rescuer could open his parachute and the other guy would be able to
>hang on or are the forces involved just too great?

It would barely be possible, but it's unlikely. The most I have done is flown to someone who was having trouble and deployed their parachute for them. Much easier that way.

I think everyone is missing the question. He was asking about a double mal....meaning the guy already has pulled, cut away ,and pulled again. A double mal couldn't be fixed by a fly by. Once the persons main deploys and mals, the "rescuer" is either A. Still falling watching it happen on his back, or B already open at which point, he/she could try and catch up but likely by the time they thought it through the person is cut away, and once again falling away from you. It just cant happen...for a double mal at least. Youd never even be able to get level with the person.

**EDIT** To add I guess the only real double mal this would be plausible would be ones in which nothing opened at all, no pilot chute for the main and no beg deployment AND no deployment at all from the reserve, in this case its plausible, with any other type of double mal that involves a canopy mal...not. lol I thought about it for a second for this edit.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

>To add I guess the only real double mal this would be plausible would be
>ones in which nothing opened at all, no pilot chute for the main and no beg
>deployment AND no deployment at all from the reserve . . .

So grab the reserve handle and pull it. If it doesn't clear, hang on to the reserve handle and deploy. If that opens the reserve, great. If not, you have a convenient handle to hang on to.

No. 0% chance of success. Even a sub terminal "Mr. Bill" jump right out the door is pretty difficult to pull off. Here is a Mr. Bill if you don't know what it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWErSdR516c

That was nice....Mr. Bill + Camera Helmet + RSL connected:S

...And...what's your point?

Besides doing a Mr. Bill, who cares is he's wearing a modern side-mounted camera helmet and an RSL.

You guys should look up 'plausible' in the dictionary. Hint: plausible = likely to work.
I know this has been done when planned, with special equipment, and from altitude.
That hardly makes me think it is LIKELY to work in the given scenario.
Theoretically, it is remotely possible, but as I stated, in my opinion, it would never happen successfully.
Even with a rabbit foot I wouldn't try it.
But what do I know?

**EDIT** To add I guess the only real double mal this would be plausible would be ones in which nothing opened at all, no pilot chute for the main and no beg deployment AND no deployment at all from the reserve, in this case its plausible, with any other type of double mal that involves a canopy mal...not. lol I thought about it for a second for this edit.

No. You were right the first time.

This might work great in the movies, but in the real world, this is not plausible even if it may seem remotely possible. You won't be able to hold on at opening shock. If somehow you do, you'll probably exceed the maximum loading of the canopy and thereby damage the canopy beyond its ability to fly. All of this assumes that there's not a malfunctioning reserve ball of shit to foul up the lines of the "good canopy" and make it "not good" - he did say it was a double mal...

Need I go on?

Sorry I didn't explain what I meant very clearly. What I meant is that the only double malfunction that could even have the two jumpers level in the air would be ones which nothing deployed from either main or reserve. I agree with you about opening shock, just to much force.

-Evo
Zoo Crew