ozzy13

Do you still log your jumps?

I'm sitting here logging my last 100 jumps wondering why I am. I use a pro track. I have all the ratings I want and see NO reason why I need to log my jumps in a book. Its all on my computer.

Any thoughts????:S
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I don't mind logging jumps.

I just hate having to get them signed!!!!!!!!

I like having them signed. It's fun to look back at the entries and think about the people I've jumped with. It's also a good way to get someone's name if I'm drawing a blank. :$
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I'm only at a mere 33 jumps at the moment, so I can't really afford to NOT log anything. I talked to someone recently who joked that I could sign his last 600 or so jumps that he hasn't logged. He said that he just "didn't do it," no other reason. This made me wonder - why would you not log jumps? It takes all of one minute. Or less. you need to jot down some basic info, a little detail (if desired), and have someone throw their Herby Hancock on it. At worst, you could record the important stuff between jumps and then fill out the rest at the end of the day (location, aircraft, and what have you).

If jumping is ONLY about fun to you and there is no need for proof of numbers, then more power to you. However, I eventually hope to get some super awesome ratings and whatnot so I log mine.
I'll be whatever I want to do!

I'm sitting here logging my last 100 jumps wondering why I am. I use a pro track. I have all the ratings I want and see NO reason why I need to log my jumps in a book. Its all on my computer.

My pro-track gives (gave, I need to get it fixed) me a count. Manifest printouts are a lame fallback. Logging doesn't really seem worth the effort. Tracking jump numbers is a good idea - disregarding the need to be legal on original CYPRES AADs, it's a nice reminder to inspect gear for wear and trim changes. Partial logging including canopy type+size makes being accurate easier when you're still in the gear selling phase.

I still remember interesting jumps and people 15 years later and don't recall being reminded of anything when I dug through my logbooks when I decided to move and get a license prior to moving 11 years after I should have.

Its all on my computer.

What happens if your computer dies, or gets stolen?

Do you have a backup of the data?

Is there a way for a regional USPA official to review it for granting awards?

I don't care about getting my octa-nona-hepta-dodeca-diamond-wings award, and have enough jumps logged on paper for the ratings I might want (I'd have gotten a pro-rating if the city let me jump into my wedding, or if I kept living in the same town as my demo jumping friends).

If you are sure that the computer records will always be there when you need them, then that should be enough. Printing out a portion for when you visit another DZ where they don't know you is a very good idea.

It's the person who jumps infrequently, has few jumps, and shows up at a boogie with only a ProTrack that makes people nervous.

USPA recognizes jumps logged by electronic means, but they still need to be verified when you get freefall time and jump number awards, so if you make it easy on your S&TA or Regional Director it would be appreciated.

Religiously. I don't usually have them signed but I log each and every one. I am up to 13 full logbooks now.

I also record them in Excel so I can see trends, etc. I have been doing that for so long that the original spreadsheet was in Lotus 1-2-3 (for you kids and freeflyers, thats a old spreadsheet program):)

John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I don't care

But you do seem interested enough in jump #s to fill in that field of your profile. Most of us find that data moderately interesting. I personally know some folks who claim high jump #s but don't keep any records at all--makes me wonder why they claim such if it's so unimportant.

have enough jumps logged on paper for the ratings

My ratings require jump #s and dates in order to stay current and renew them. And USPA demo insurance affidavits require this info, including specific canopy size, to qualify for coverage. Electronic recording devices don't automatically indicate which canopy I jump, so I'm always back to handwritten records.

As inconvenient as this is on a busy day, I keep a notepad in my drag matt and tally this info between jumps. Then on Monday morning I usually ink this into my permanent log book in my best handwriting. I agree that having these signed is no longer necessary for many of us.

I enjoy logging. I have my Tandem students sign my log after the jumps and it is fun to look back on. I also use Paralog for organizing the details of each jump so I can see how many different types of aircrafts, canopies, places, and types of jumps I have done. I really enjoy having accurate data and looking back through it.

I log every jump. On paper. Usually before the sun sets on the day I did them.

Logbooks are like photo albums. You don't look at them often but when you do, maybe years after the pictures were taken, you smile. To me, that alone is worth the two minutes it takes to log a skydive.

I log everything. Mainly as a way of keeping track of the wear on all my equipment. Reminds me when routine maintance is due. Also it's much easier to sell gear if you can say exactly how many jumps are on it and where;)

Plus it's just fun to know I have this many jumps, that many hours of freefall, and how many of each type discipline I have.

edit: I don't get them signed though and usually do one day to a page. Except if I'm going to a new dz then I'll have the last entry signed just in case. I learned that the hard way. First time at Perris, I had a D license and a tandem rating and they still required a photocopy of a signed current jump from my log book.

jverley: I don't usually have them signed but I log each and every one. I am up to 13 full logbooks now.

My stack - image attached.

I make shorthand notes in a pocket notebook after each jump, then fill in all the details in an official log book days later at home, referencing my notes, my memory, and data from my Protrack.

skybytch: I log every jump. On paper. Usually before the sun sets on the day I did them.
Logbooks are like photo albums. You don't look at them often but when you do, maybe years after the pictures were taken, you smile. To me, that alone is worth the two minutes it takes to log a skydive.

Yes! I keep track of names of people I jump with. Looking back at all those names of good friends I've jumped with, often people I haven't though of in a long time, brings a smile to my face.

tetra316: I log everything. Mainly as a way of keeping track of the wear on all my equipment.

I keep a running tally of the number of jumps I've made on each of the two canopies I use. That way I know when they're coming due for a new set of lines.

I sort-of do. I use a Neptune/Paralog to record data about the jumps, I try to input things when I dump my neptune data as far as size/type of jump etc. I have a paper logbook that I quit logging jumps in around 220 but I continue to keep things like night-jump safety briefings, license exam test scores, and most recently my coach rating endorsements in. If my neptune were to fail I'd pick up the paper again, but only until I could replace the Neptune...

So yes I keep an accurate record, and I enjoy the number crunching and graphing that I can do in Paralog, but it's not really the traditional way that folks have done it.
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I think you don't even have to sign them at all.

I'm a weekend jumper, making about 250 jumps a year up here in the rainy NW. I still log my jumps, but I use those little cheapo student logs, about a buck from Para-Gear. I use a lot of ditto marks and will put 4-5 jumps on one line. For tandem and AFF instructors, a certain # of jumps is required per year. Would that make logging some of them mandatory?

Although it doesn't apply to all, I've seen more than one individual quit logging, then amass an amazing jump total in very little time. "I quit logging 3 years ago but I'm sure I have over 15 billion skydives.":S

If you want the awards and the ratings, you should log them, if only on a stack of cocktail napkins.:P

I log them and still fill the page. It is my "diary" of skydiving. I write the names of who I jumped with and what was planned and what went right and what didn't. I wouldn't do it any other way.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Hee, hee! And in that stack of logbooks, is there a page that says *God Damn Mar, did a fruitloop on me at the end of a skydive. Paybacks are a bitch*.

Edited to add: Yes, with over 3,500 skydives, I still log every jump. How else am I to remember who to stay away from?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yes, ....sorta

My current log book has entrie spaces for about 300 jumps, I have half of it filled and it has over 2000 or so. I use it minimally in case the Protrack breaks I'll want my totals. Sometimes 50 jumps per page or more where there is officially 2 jumps per page

example made up

July 2, 2009
3500 - 4w - ice at altitude
3501-3503 - Freefly - 2w
3504 - 3508 - 4w
3509 - worked with Annie on bailout, fwd motion, basic mantis (added detail)
3510 - CrW, 4st
---60:21:33

at the end of the day, I'll put the total freefall time down and box it in. And if there's a dive I really want, I can add whatever info I want

I can get a whole month of dives in the same space as 1 dive for when I used to tell the story and stamp the formations.

That said, I like to go back to my first 3 or 4 logbooks and remember the dives.

For teaching, I keep a separate log and keep some detail there.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Been logging them for over 31 years. Everything is in a database now. Makes looking back fun, and I'm able to filter stats like different dropzones and AC types.

In fact, it's a clicky below. :)

Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com