captain1976

Making fun of skydivers who died

I'm confused by this. If it's a question of rescuing skydivers from trees, then I can see why the Fire Department would be involved - and I don't see any great harm in them marking up their trucks accordingly.

But why would they be involved in, or care about, fatalities or injuries?

Many fire departments in the US also run the EMS service as well. In fire department I work for everyone is dual trained, a firefighter and a paramedic. One day you might be on the engine or ladder truck, the next day you might be on the ambulance.....Even if the fire dept. does not run the EMS service, most respond to potential life threating calls as extra help and because they may be closer and faster to the scene.

Having jumped for 30 years I am convince skydivers eat their dead

Scotty "snorts" the dead on their last skydive :P
>
Tami

We are smoking Scotty when he's gone...
Shit the crusty old s.o.b. will prolly out live me anyway:D
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I would think you should talk to the DZO before you do anything. They might not want your help. If things are already bad between them and the city I'm betting they don't.

+ 1
j

Here is the answer from basically the DZO. We know about it, we know we don't have super great relations with the fire department, we're trying to fix it.

Mike - Please don't go over there asking questions. We don't need the help right now with this matter. Also, if any of the moderators read this, it would be nice if someone could edit the city name out of the main post of this thread. I don't want this showing up in google searches.

The reason that we have such a poor relationship with the fire department stems primarily from the fact that skydivers don't behave very well at accident scenes. I think that this goes pretty much for the general public as a whole though. From the huge crowd of people who have to come gawk at the person stuck in a tree, to the people who's "friend" just got hurt and wont leave the accident scene to those who know what they are doing, to the dude who said to the firemen "you guys don't know what you're doing, why don't you let me drive that truck."

We have a reasonable idea of what we are dealing with and want to have a good relationship with these people, but it's challenging at this point. It's a volunteer fire department and in general changing people's views of us is hard. They don't want to understand what we do or why we jump from planes, so we need to start by not being giant assholes to them every time they have to come out and help us.

Going over there and questioning them about parachutes painted on a firetruck isn't going to help. (And yeah, they do have them painted on there. I honestly have no confirmation of what they mean, but what indyz said is most likely true because there are more of them than people who have ever died at our DZ)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Skulls-and-crossbones with a round parachute logo above it -- I'd say that it's probably going to be taken literally as if for every time the fire truck attended a skydiving fatality. Not nice.

Still, unavoidably, I think the DZO should work on these matters, and still try to improve relations. A new government isn't going to be able to do much, anyway.

Oh come on. Particularly if it's trees (which I imagine it is), it's perfectly in keeping with people who do a high-stress job that everyone else feels they know a lot about -- why, like skydiving!

To most people, a skydiver getting stuck in a tree is a pretty good example of either unlucky or unskilled (and often that's accurate), and often uninjured. But requiring fairly high-profile help. Why wouldn't you make fun of them if you were the one helping?

I'd imagine this really is a case where it's best to talk to the locals, wherever they may be. And volunteer to help, but through a single means. If a new volunteer firefighter were to move to town who was a jumper, he should still talk to his captain, and to the DZO, before making too many one-person attempts at world peace.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The fire department in Eloy used to hate the DZ and skydivers in general. One day there were two fatalities within hours of each other. A no pull and a hook turn into a parked pick up truck next to the bunkhouse. It was pretty ugly when they came out to work up the man that hooked into the parking lot.
I stopped by their station one day and asked if I could conduct a training course for skydiver injuries. They reluctantly agreed. After the three hour training session they had a WAY better understanding of our sport. We worked on a response plan together for their ambulance and the local air ambulance. Things ran smoothly after.

I recently did a course for the Perris FD/ambulance/Air ambulance providers.
Like Mojosparky, I have been on the FD for 30years. It helps if you can get a local jumper that "talks their language" and can present a training course.

I have a great training DVD and will be filming an additional one showing proper gear removal and C-spine procedures.

Call me if I can help you guys out in any way.

It won't be as hard to get the local authorities on the same page as it seems, really. It's all in the presentation.

Good luck.

I have a great training DVD and will be filming an additional one showing proper gear removal and C-spine procedures.

It won't be as hard to get the local authorities on the same page as it seems, really. It's all in the presentation.

I think the other DZO needs grimmie on speed dial. Thanks for the offer of hepling out...

I was lucky enough to observe part of Rich’s presentation to Perris FD/DZ staff and if you don’t take him up on his offer to help you are missing a great opportunity.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I worked at a fire dept.. and no matter how morbid it may seem.. that could be their way of dealing with stress..

We used to joke about the decapitated teen whose face was found in the back seat of a car etc...

A lot of it is tradition and you can view firefighters much like bomber crews in ww2 personalizing their apparatus..

Not to say it's right but that is what it could be.. if at all true
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I can't imagine why they might have "resentment for the place."

Mayor's daughter got knocked up and no idea who the father is? :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

How does Bill C. know?

Bill Cosby? Ghost dad's a good movie:P

I don't see anything wrong with notching up the fire truck. I've seen worse. Like someone else said, apparatnly there's more notches than deaths, so its probably skydivers in trees or routine calls to the DZ, or maybe a combination of all three.