captain1976

Making fun of skydivers who died

Waiting for the plane today at Sky Knights in East Troy Wisconsin, I was told that the local fire department paints “kills” on their rolling equipment depicting dead skydivers, adding one each time someone there goes in.

Most of us know that the tradition of “kill marks” was used during the wars mostly on airplanes to represent an aerial victory or the number of bombs dropped on the enemy.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but I think any governmental department that pokes fun at any tragedy in any sport should be brought to the attention of the public and stopped immediately.

This behavior is totally non-professional and anyone in authority such as the Chief or those who hire them have no business serving the public. I would like to do something about this but I live in Florida in the Winter.

Any suggestions or comments on what should be done?>:(
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

It was basically a conversation started about how inept the local town is and how it hates the skydiving center. The Police Chief recently told the senior staff how much he despises their operation and in any accident he will confiscate the equipment and throw it away when he is done with it.

Sounds like a drunk-with-power piece of shit cop who needs to get out of the business.

Again, I will check this out tomorrow.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

As I understand it they have tried for years to do the PR thing, inviting them to activities, offering to work with them in areas regarding safety, etc. But it seems their resentment for the place goes way back and some kind of barrier exists.

I'm not a member of their club but I just might join in the spring and give it a try. I have a little experience in public relations and just possibly can get through to the right people.

Take pictures of it, wait until two weeks before the local elections, send pictures with explanations to families of the deceased as well as the press.

Great ideas. I will do that and worse.

>>send pictures with explanations to families of the deceased as well as
>>the press.

>Great ideas. I will do that and worse.

I can't imagine why they might have "resentment for the place."

Take the high road. It will reap benefits in the long run (although may not feel as good in the short term.)

>>the press.

Take the high road. It will reap benefits in the long run (although may not feel as good in the short term.)

What I meant is that I will try the diplomatic method first. If that doesn't work, then its time for more drastic measures as nothing pisses me off more than inappropriate behavior from civil servants.

All above and said is true, I hate how people disrespect the dead, skydivers or otherwise.

The version of the story I've heard is that they have marks on there fire truck signifying all of the hung up skydivers they've pulled out of trees.

Whatever the truth is, if you walk into the fire department, town hall or whatever and stir things up, no matter how good your intentions, you have then become a representative of everyone at Skyknights. If were going to stir things up, it should be together or not at all.

>>the press.

What I meant is that I will try the diplomatic method first. If that doesn't work, then its time for more drastic measures as nothing pisses me off more than inappropriate behavior from civil servants.

Your talking about chasing your tail. [:/]
One Jump Wonder

The version of the story I've heard is that they have marks on there fire truck signifying all of the hung up skydivers they've pulled out of trees.

Whatever the truth is, if you walk into the fire department, town hall or whatever and stir things up, no matter how good your intentions, you have then become a representative of everyone at Skyknights. If were going to stir things up, it should be together or not at all.

If its just something that signifies jumpers pulled out of trees, thats harmless and probably funny. I would never divulge who I was, I'm just observing for the time being. Any action requires careful consideration and a cool head.

I was told that the local fire department paints “kills” on their rolling equipment depicting dead skydivers, adding one each time someone there goes in.

What about all of the drunk driver victims, train wrecks. smoke inhalation deaths. The bulk of their business. What is their paint tag? I'm guessing its a tale.

Hey Mike,

Most of that is a combination of hyperbole, rumor, and flat-out falsehood with a dash of truth mixed in. As far as I know, the symbols on the ladder truck represents skydivers rescued from trees. I don't have any official word from the FD on that, but it makes more sense than fatalities. In that context, I think it's a mostly harmless bit of fun on the part of the fire department.

It's true that we don't have the best relationship with the fire and police departments, but it isn't as horrible as some people would make it out to be. The police don't want our help in their investigations and the fire department grumbles about patching up broken skydivers, but the rest is mostly hyperbole. I have never heard of anybody having their gear confiscated or destroyed after an accident.

>I hate how people disrespect the dead, skydivers or otherwise.

You've never heard the skydiver's hymn?

We often don't have what other people would consider respect for the dead. (We really do; we just express it in a very strange way.) It is worthwhile finding out a) what they're actually doing and b) why they are doing it before getting all bent out of shape.

I will make my report tomorrow. Actually I will go there in person and check it out since I'm in town for a couple of days

This might be the time to let sleeping dogs lie. Any action by the local jumpers should first be geared toward improving relations between the town and the DZ. If you run the history of what started the animosity it is a good bet the jumpers are far from blameless. Jumpers are usually their own worst enemy.
Having jumped for 30 years I am convince skydivers eat their dead.
Having been a Firefighter for 30 years I it is rumor out of control.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals