bbarnhouse

Verdict Skydive Arizona VS Quattrocchi et el

The jury has returned a verdict in the case filed by Skydive Arizona (owner Larry Hill) against Skyride (Ben Butler and Cary Quattrocchi).

The jury found in favor of Skydive Arizona on all claims against Cary Quattrocchi and Ben Butler.
The jury awarded $ 6.6 million in damages.
The jury also found their violations willful.

The official statement from legal counsel is forthcoming and shall be in more detail.

Thank you to all the folks that supported Larry Hill/Skydive Arizona for standing up for what is right.

I will also make a personal statement after the official statement has been released. Score one for the good guys.
B2

The jury has returned a verdict in the case filed by Skydive Arizona (owner Larry Hill) against Skyride (Ben Butler and Cary Quattrocchi).

The jury found in favor of Skydive Arizona on all claims against Cary Quattrocchi and Ben Butler.
The jury awarded $ 6.6 million in damages.
The jury also found their violations willful.

The official statement from legal counsel is forthcoming and shall be in more detail.

Thank you to all the folks that supported Larry Hill/Skydive Arizona for standing up for what is right.

I will also make a personal statement after the official statement has been released. Score one for the good guys.
B2

Congratulations to Larry Hill and Skydive Arizona.

They had a very impressive lawyer team of Sid Leach and Monica Limon-Wynn.
Plus their staff of Lynn, Mandy, Cheri and Nicole.
They were 'Johnny on the Spot' all of the time.

Special thanks to you, Betsy, for the dog yard use.
Steve, John and Emmet.
Bob for the accommodations.
Shawn for the updates.
Kelly, Karin, Eliana & Andy for the chit chat time.

More details later when a loose end has been tied up.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

where is all that money going to be going towards

Presumably:
1. Toward making the plaintiffs whole for the damages they incurred due to the defendants' wrongful conduct;
2. Toward civilly punishing the defendants..
..a. To express, through the jury, society's outrage at their conduct,
..b. To divest them of any profits they may have earned directly or indirectly from their wrongful conduct, over and above plaintiffs' damages,
..c. To deter both these defendants and other people from engaging in similar wrongful conduct in the future;
3. To reimburse the plaintiffs and their attorneys for the cost of litigation, which are substantial;
4. Yes, by gosh, the compensate the plaintiffs' attorneys..
..a. because they don't work for free any more than any other professionals do,
..b. to give Chris his usual machine to rage against.

Congrats to SDA, their legal team and their supporters for a job well done.

Winning and collecting are 2 entirely different things. I'm sure they'll just get out their checkbook and stroke one off for 6+ million. It does, however put them in an interesting situation.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Winning and collecting are 2 entirely different things. I'm sure they'll just get out their checkbook and stroke one off for 6+ million. It does, however put them in an interesting situation.

You've got a point. One only needs to look at Richard Schrushy vs HealthSouth, or Bernie Madoff to see what is being done to recoup judgments against them, and how long it takes.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You've got a point. One only needs to look at Richard Schrushy vs HealthSouth, or Bernie Madoff to see what is being done to recoup judgments against them, and how long it takes

Not to mention the possibility of them appealing the decision.:(
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

This is good news. It doesn't mean it's over, but there is some validation with it.

$6.6 million is a big number. Big enough so that Ben and Cary likely don't have much to lose by fighting even more.

Hopefully this can be quickly resolved.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If the judgement was 6.6 m, how much do they actually make? If that was for the damages in one state, what about the other 50? (#50 being Puerto Rico) So, if they are ordered to pay 6.6 in one state, for skydiving alone, what about the other 70 or 80 venues and in the other states?

do the math, 51 times 75 (round number) times 6.6 million. And that's only based on what was reported and that could be tracked. That's a lot of money.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

If the judgement was 6.6 m, how much do they actually make? If that was for the damages in one state, what about the other 50?

IANAL, but I was under the impression that a damages award could include a punitive component - ie. there is a component of a damages award that attempts to quanitify how much business or money you've lost as a result of the damage, however, there may also be an additional component you're ordered to pay in essence to tell you that you've been bad, punish you accordingly and discourage further bad behaviour.

do the math, 51 times 75 (round number) times 6.6 million. And that's only based of what was reported and that could be tracked. That's a lot of money.

IANAL, but I don't think the math is not that simple. Skydive Arizona is a big operation, therefore the potential damage to their business can be larger, which leads to larger potential damages. I don't think that a small mom and pop dropzone with a single C182 and clearing maybe 30,000 a year could claim damages anywhere near that number. Couple that with the fact that many smaller players capitulated because it was much cheaper to accept slyride muscling in on their business than to fight them and yet others who willingly joined them.

I've no idea how much money that Slyride has managed to rake in over the past few years, but I am hoping that 6.6m is a huge dent in their finances. I'm also wondering if this judgement, should it make it through appeal, will enbolden other dropzones damaged by slyride's practices to initiate legal proceedings against them - maybe even a mass-action.

And a big "THANKS" to Jan Meyer for your hard work and undying fortitude in the face of unfair and unearned criticism throughout the whole process.

Thanks John.

There is still another issue that the judge will rule on in a week or so.
I've been asked to testify on that issue too.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

More than one.

This isn't over quite yet.

Jan deserves a huge thank you....and in the near future I believe an apology by some as well.

More shall be revealed:)

IANAL, but I was under the impression that a damages award could include a punitive component - ie.
I've no idea how much money that Slyride has managed to rake in over the past few years, but I am hoping that 6.6m is a huge dent in their finances. I'm also wondering if this judgement, should it make it through appeal, will enbolden other dropzones damaged by slyride's practices to initiate legal proceedings against them - maybe even a mass-action.

That's what I have been trying to point out for a long time. The only way that we are going to put a stop to the sLyride scam and their FRAUDULENT WEBSITES and other avenues of advertising is to get a lot of DZ's together, bring in the Racing, Gliders, Balloons and all those other communities that they advertise to offer and get a class action started or whatever the appropriate legal action would be in this situation. There's enough information online about them and their business practices that it would not take much research to build a case. a lot of the legwork has already been done thanks to Jan and some of the other people in the gliders, balloons and racing communities who have reseached them and published the info.
Another perspective to look at is this; The Georgia, Connecticut, Tennessee and California Attorney Generals are already looking at them and I will assume that the Arizona AG is as well, I would suggest that if we all got the information to each of our State's AG's, the element of out of pocket expense that we would incur would diminish. AG Blumenthal (Conn.) has already said in the news report that he intends to get all 50 AG's together and put a stop to it, so if anyone knows him, that could be good place to start.
Here's the link for when he said that; http://www.wfsb.com/video/16915537/index.html

Congrats to SDA, this is a huge victory, but that does not mean that this is the end of sLyride, it's now time to turn up the heat and get more people involved in fighting these criminals.

Does anyone know if there is a process or what it would take to get a bigger Federal case against them? (Just a thought)

I regret that I did not have the financial means to contribute to SDA during the fight.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

More than one.

This isn't over quite yet.

Jan deserves a huge thank you....and in the near future I believe an apology by some as well.

More shall be revealed:)

A big Apology!

A big Thank You to Jan, Betsy, Larry and everyone else who dedicated their time and efforts to make this win possible.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org