FallloutboyDAoC

How should i feel after giving someone a cutaway?

Well what was the malfunction??

When I started packing for my DZ, they made it very clear that sometimes shit happens (the weekend I started, another packer packed a cutaway). If its a sloppy pack job and you know you did less than your best, then yeah, feel bad. Otherwise, recognize that sometimes perfect pack jobs go to shit.

If a person reading this thread thinks twice about loaning or borrowing gear, then you should feel good about sharing this experience with us.

You should feel glad that everything is ok.

Pay for all expenses involved and move on to the next jump.

You should feel like buying a case of beer, and paying for any damage caused.

For packing soeones rig?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Depends on the malfunction..

was it a line continuity issue??
or a brake fire???
or an un cocked pilot chute?
or a misrouted bridle???

to me,, THOSE would all be packing errors...

and not a body position error

how was the landing under the reserve???
if all is well, then you only need be responsible for the reserve repack and any lost components, i.e. cutaway pad freebag reserve handle...

can the O P provide any details???

jmy

As a packer, I know that sometimes shit just happens. You can feel bad but don't dwell on it at all. What kind of mal was it? All kinds of things can happen. Was the person that chopped it mad at you? I've had a few people cutaway my pack jobs, but no one has ever come down yelling and screaming at me. After looking at videos of it though, none of them were really my fault.

or a brake fire???
or a misrouted bridle???

if all is well, then you only need be responsible for the reserve repack and any lost components, i.e. cutaway pad freebag reserve handle...

jmy

Spinning linetwists. Flight Concepts 170. I'd have to say it was loaded below 1:1. She may or may not have pulled a little low.

I don't particularly remember the pack job, which is actually a good thing, because if i thought any part of the pack job wasn't decent, i'd remember it.

or a brake fire???
or a misrouted bridle???

jmy

Spinning linetwists. Flight Concepts 170. I'd have to say it was loaded below 1:1. She may or may not have pulled a little low.

I don't particularly remember the pack job, which is actually a good thing, because if i thought any part of the pack job wasn't decent, i'd remember it.

Thats way more forgivable than my tension knot on a tandem mal (my one and only touch wood.) I still told him it was body position that caused tension knots.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

If gear was damaged, cover the costs. Have a rigger look over your packing technique if you are losing sleep over it. As long as the other jumper doesn't hate you-move on with life.
-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

thanks for the details....

it's been posted here in the past, that the length of suspension lines,,,, between the last line stow and the connector links or slinks,,, CAN effect the way the D bag comes outta the main container... and CAN induce a spin into the bag, as the lines are "unstowing"... i think it is recommended that a foot to a foot and a half of lines, be left after stowing is done....
careful placement of the D bag and attention to the location of "excess lines" in the container,, MAY influence the "spinnability" ;) of the bag...

jt

or a brake fire???
or a misrouted bridle???

jmy

The person who used your pack job took it on herself.

I don't think you owe anything.

Like it or not, the FARs are clear that a non-certified person is only supposed to pack his own main parachute, unless he is under the direct supervision of a rigger who is taking responsibility for the packing.

Once people are ignoring that, liability rests with the user.

Personally, I pack for myself. If I loan my rig, I tell them to return it open. If they return it packed, I repack it. That way, I am always personally responsible for what comes out of my rig, and there's never any question of who may have done what.

Thats way more forgivable than my tension knot on a tandem mal (my one and only touch wood.) I still told him it was body position that caused tension knots.

That was the cause of my only chopped pack job. I felt kinda bad about it until I learned that it's usually lines needing replacement that cause tension knots - ie a gear maintenance issue, not a pack job or body position issue. I know there were at least 700 jumps on that line set... Any idea how many jumps were on the one you packed?

To the OP - you packed it. She jumped it. She's responsible, just as if she'd paid someone to pack it or packed it herself.

If you're like most packers, you won't give two shits - and you'll blame it on the jumper's bad body position anyway.

Kevin K.

i suggest you change packers then:ph34r::ph34r: oh and cheer the hell up too ya grumpy toad
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What the hell is with all the "you should pay for damages" shit I am seeing here? What a crock of shit. As long as you packed it well, and didn't take shortcuts, then don't lose any sleep over it.

Shit happens when you throw nylon out into the wind.

Spinning linetwists on a 170 loaded under 1:1? You can give her this advice as a tip if you feel bad - Kick like you mean it and don't pull so fucking low. And as always, learn to pull stable.

[:/]

After I packed someone a slammer, I was feeling really bad. Then someone reminded me that you pack the chute, not the opening. It makes sense to me. I still feel bad that I did it, but things like this happen. At least it didn't turn into an injury or a fatality because of the pack job. That's why we have emergency procedures. ;)

http://3ringnecklace.com/

After I packed someone a slammer, I was feeling really bad. Then someone reminded me that you pack the chute, not the opening. It makes sense to me. I still feel bad that I did it, but things like this happen. At least it didn't turn into an injury or a fatality because of the pack job. That's why we have emergency procedures. ;)

I mean yeah, if you know you didn't seat the slider, and the canopy blew up, then yeah, feel bad.

/Always stow my brakes, uncollapse my slider, and cock my pilot chute. Saves me some peace of mind, and prevents a lot of problems.

...Then someone reminded me that you pack the chute, not the opening.

Most packers feel that they can produce different opening characteristics by changing certain aspects of the pack job. If that's true, doesn't that make the above quote a crock of shit ? It sounds to me like another version of, "Shit happens".

That quote is just a cheap excuse for packers to avoid responsibility for sloppy work.

Kevin K.