JohnRich

"CSI: Miami"

Episode: "Terminal Velocity". A skydiver is murdered...

Geez, how many things can they get wrong?

I could have sworn when the jumper's chute was deploying, that he was holding a cutaway handle with dangling cables in his hand, but then there was no cut-away - the canopy remained attached...

Why didn't he chop the streamer and use his reserve?

Two experienced skydivers, and the CSI folks think that 5,000' is the normal opening altitude.

That it is the pilot's duty to calibrate the ground level on every jumper's audible altitude device they wear in their helmets.

That every CSI investigator recognizes an audible altimeter and instantly knows how to push all the right buttons to get the data readout.

The old acid in the pack tray trick to sabotage the chute is old stuff, first used in the 1960's black and white movie "The Skydivers", where acid was used by a jealous girlfriend to murder her cheating skydiver boyfriend.

I was under the impression that they sabotaged his reserve/cutaway handles as well.
At any rate, the show is pitifully researched for sure. The part about the pilot calibrating all the altimeters was a hoot!

Well, they have to have some other "possible" variable in the equation! :P I mean, you don't just want the episode to end in 10 minutes, especially when the CSI tech can already get all the info from the audible. ;) How would they incorporate the "lab montage"? :D:D
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I didn't see the show, but I'll bet everything that happened in the lab was done in dim, blue light,
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Just remember that TV's discussion of nearly any other area that's not truly common knowledge will be as full of technical inaccuracies.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's just fiction. But I thought these shows used some serious fact checkers also.

Lessons learned? If you want to kill someone and leave no evidence, you might want to do your own homework rather than rely on what you learned from TV.

At least that's what I took away from it.:D

as for the show - I suspect there's a real discussion topic there. Seriously - a donor has ZERO responsibility for the offspring........ZERO - but since some people clearly will not be able to make that link (or will refuse to), anyone that does donate should make sure they do it with a group that completely eliminates any and all records of who they are.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Oh, I'm looking forward to this episode being aired in Germany...

I once talked to a press journalist about inaccuracies in newspaper reports when it comes to skydiving. He told me they deliberately use some of the terms I mentioned - because Joe Sixpack knows shit about skydiving and just expects these words and wouldn't understand the technically correct terms.
I bet this applies even more to slipping-on-sunshades-solves-the-puzzle! :S

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I didn't see the show, but I'll bet everything that happened in the lab was done in dim, blue light,

You have the show wrong... CSI Miami is all about the red lenses...

Right, red, whatever. Other CSI variants have had suspects interrogated in very dimly lit rooms. The opposite of the 'bright lights in your eyes' stereotype. Their offices are dark, even the coroner operates in near darkness. Faces are illuminated from one side only, with the other side as dark as possible.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Also they took an Otter up with just 2 jumpers? What DZ is that?

Unless the guy was so rich since he had a ferrari that he just pays for the flight, then he has no friends but 1 guy that will jump with him?

Next time i get on the plane ill hand the pilot my audible and tell him to match it to the planes :P

Also they took an Otter up with just 2 jumpers? What DZ is that?

negative ghost rider, interior shots are of an Otter but on exit it's a Caravan :P

Well, the Betty White jump was interior of an Otter and it was actually a PAC.

Some good editing on their part too, they managed to take out the name and the tail number on the plane!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This might have been the best CSI Miami episode I ever watched :)
But the important question is -- who did the stunts?

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)