johnny1488

Some thoughts after the Holiday Boogie

As I spent my time at Eloy slinging out demo canopies for Icarus, I found myself listening to some interesting things. Here are a few.

-I have 150 jumps and want to demo a Crossfire2 (this person knew the Crossfire2 was elliptical and high performance.)

-I have 94 jumps and want a Safire2 149 (loaded at 1.35). This jumper had been demoing this size in another canopy from a gear store and was said to have been downsizing slowly.

-I went to a FX loaded at 1.9 because my 132 just wasn't doing enough for my swoops. This jumper had between 200-300 jumps.

-I have 100 jumps on my canopy and 200 total and am just really bored with it and want to go a lot faster. I got this multiple times and the loadings were never that light.

-I jump a 150 now and have 200 jumps, but have 20 ground launches on a 120 so I know I will be fine on it.

I can't remember all of them but you get the point.

I tried to stress the ideas of gaining knowledge and expierience on their current canopy (and canopy control in general). I told everyone that I am a fan of conservative downsizing and really exploring canopy control on your first canopy before working on downsizing.

I did my best to try to keep people from downsizing on their first demo. Some people were more interested in the downsize than what they were flying.

Some people I said no to went straight to Dom at Aerodyne and vice versa. We exchanged notes daily.

I would like to see people take an intrest in furthering canopy control. I just want people to do things at their own pace, not the fastest pace possible.

Besides these things I had a great time at the boogie. I talk way to much about canopies so I guess this is a job I can do well.

Anyway, thats it for now.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I get scared when the ground comes up too fast.

I don't like getting scared close to the ground.

I am surprised that so many like it. [:/]
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I get scared when the ground comes up too fast.

me too!!

I don't like getting scared close to the ground.

me neither.

I am surprised that so many like it.

I don't think "they" like it, "they" are just experienced enough not to let those things happen, and when they do, "they" notice it early and don't put "themselves" in that situation.

Thanks for doing your best to keep these know it alls from jumping the wrong stuff.

This is why i could never be a dzo.

Only a crazed doctor would like reading about this.
If Darwin only knew how much these people create jobs in hospitals etc.

Lovin my "Tuna Boat" 150 at 1200 jumps and perfect wing loading. Laughing all the way to my next jump with great landing gear still. My body doesn't think i'm a wuss.:ph34r:

Scary....[:/] I have ran across the same thing the past few months down south though. Unfortunately people with money can hop on ebay, here, or find another jumper that will sell them whatever they want. They "ALL" are talented canopy fliers and are "REALLY" conservative, but they don't seem to get it that when faced with a split second decision, it might cost them their lives. The funniest one was....

Me: Did I hear you right? Your jumping a stilletto loaded at 1.6 with 150 jumps?

Them: Yeah, ....but a lot of those are hop and pops flying my canopy.

Me: From what altitude?

Them: Normally 3-3500..

:S:S>:(

....one thing I have noticed is that the majority of these people I run across have never witnessed a landing fatality/ serious injury. After seeing a body hit the ground your prospective changes....

ohh, and another one I forgot to put up there.

"Don't worry man, I'll be fine. I dont want to craetor myslef"

me"well who does? who goes out thinking "Im gonna fuck myself up today!""

them.... stupid look.

:P

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

-I have 94 jumps and want a Safire2 149 (loaded at 1.35). This jumper had been demoing this size in another canopy from a gear store and was said to have been downsizing slowly.

Phew! Thought you were talking about me....except you have to subtract 0.3 from the WL, the canopy I've jumped for the last 50 is the same size and my prior demo was from a dealer not a store (and it was 9 sq ft smaller).

;)

My body doesn't think i'm a wuss

I think this is the single most inteligent thing I've seen you post, nice:)Would make for a very nice sig line too:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I read all the posts and was in shock by what some of the comments were. I have to ask this though, Aren't we our own worst enemy? These folks are getting this gear somewhere, they just aren't manufacturing it themselves.

The question is, how do you address it? The USPA has their reccomendations in the S.I.M., but that is a guide.

I think unfortunately there will continue to be these types of issues for lack of respect of the sport secondary to greed. With stated when I purchased my new canopy recently I was questioned on my experience and jump numbers, so I think the manufactures are trying to do their part to control it to a degree. It is some un-ethical gear shops and third party sellers that just want to make a buck. Pretty fucking sad that someone would sell a piece of gear to someone that does not have the skill to use it. I saw it 1st hand this year, fortunately the buyer was educated by numerous folks at the DZ and he wisely cancelled the transaction (If I recall correctly he had 15-20 jumps, still on student status, weighed around 145 and the gear had a crossfire 139 if I am not mistaken):)

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

...well I'll say this, I upsized my own self. ;) I couldn't be happier. It is a little annoying that I'm mocked for flying a boat though by guys that have thousands of jumps more than me. I need to make it to work monday morning, I have a business to run & I'm 40 years old. [:/] I've seen people broken and in the process of dying. I wish I hadn't.

that said, now how do I get my hands on a Mamba? :S

It is a little annoying that I'm mocked for flying a boat though by guys that have thousands of jumps more than me.

Seriously, people mock you for flying a big canopy at 22 jumps?

Its one thing to joke around with some one who is conservative and has been around for a while, and yet respect his/her decision, but a v junior jumper? Thats just plain silly and stupid from the people doing the mocking....
Remster

Hey man, thanks a lot for the time you spent just bullshititng about canopy flight. Can learn alot just by talking. And thanks for not letting people smash themselves into the ground on demos that they aren't ready for.

I saw more than one person that I thought was dead for sure pull it out by sheer luck...

Keep up the education. Will be looking you up when I snag another canopy.B|