2 2
kallend

A Trump dictatorship is increasingly inevitable. We should stop pretending.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Agreed....here is a preview of a second Trump presidency:

Kash Patel says as Trump’s next CIA Director he will lead “patriots” appointed by Trump in an all-out effort to prosecute and jail people in government and the media: “We will find the conspirators in govt and the media. Yes, we are going to come after the people in the media.

https://x.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1732130346010063053?s=20

And they will call it Night of the Long Knives.

A few weeks ago Trump was saying he isn't into golden showers as he is a germaphobe. 

I don't know if specifics were in the original rumour, but why is the assumption that he was on the receiving end?

Being a power hungry psycho who sees women as objects it seems far more plausible that he peed on the hookers not the other way around.

52 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

Being a power hungry psycho who sees women as objects it seems far more plausible that he peed on the hookers not the other way around.

Not sure how much time you have spent within the kink community, or the BDSM community, or whatever preferred name you want to give to it. But you might find that outward personalities are often diametrically opposed their "kink personality."

Some very powerful people like nothing more than give up that power in the bedroom.

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Not sure how much time you have spent within the kink community, or the BDSM community, or whatever preferred name you want to give to it. But you might find that outward personalities are often diametrically opposed their "kink personality."

Some very powerful people like nothing more than give up that power in the bedroom.

I originally had a paragraph on that. i knew a jumper who was a Dominatrix in Gerogia. Most of her clients were high powered businessmen. They liked having her crush their balls and humiliate them.

9 hours ago, nigel99 said:

I originally had a paragraph on that. i knew a jumper who was a Dominatrix in Gerogia. Most of her clients were high powered businessmen. They liked having her crush their balls and humiliate them.

She was quite interesting in the Bonfire.

(edited)
On 12/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, kallend said:

A long, pessimistic and quite scary article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/30/trump-dictator-2024-election-robert-kagan/

What is certain, however, is that the odds of the United States falling into dictatorship have grown considerably because so many of the obstacles to it have been cleared and only a few are left. If eight years ago it seemed literally inconceivable that a man like Trump could be elected, that obstacle was cleared in 2016. If it then seemed unimaginable that an American president would try to remain in office after losing an election, that obstacle was cleared in 2020. And if no one could believe that Trump, having tried and failed to invalidate the election and stop the counting of electoral college votes, would nevertheless reemerge as the unchallenged leader of the Republican Party and its nominee again in 2024, well, we are about to see that obstacle cleared as well. In just a few years, we have gone from being relatively secure in our democracy to being a few short steps, and a matter of months, away from the possibility of dictatorship.

Well  at least Liz Cheney is on the interview rampage selling her new book and sounding the alarms.  She might be drummed out of the party, but I think she would have a following if she ran for President

She keeps saying her purpose in life today is to stop Trump from getting in office.  If she ran and had enough money in enough states, she could maybe derail the trump campaign by drawing votes away

Liz Cheney running for president might not be a bad thing.  She only says she has not ruled it out.

Probably a long shot

But absolutely, the republicans (MAGA) are telling us EXACTLY what they are going to do if trump gets back in office.  I do not believe it is possible from trump to win.  Taking $500 bets that trump is either not on the 2024 ballot or if he is, he loses.

I give 'normal America' more credit than the idea that he could win anything more than 30-33% of the popular vote.

Edited by tkhayes
typos

12 minutes ago, tkhayes said:

...But absolutely, the republicans (MAGA) are telling us EXACTLY what they are going to do if trump gets back in office...

Seen elsewhere:

Having to ask the candidate if he plans on becoming a dictator SHOULDN'T happen. It should be an automatic disqualifier. 

Sort of like if you have to ask the babysitter if she plans on cooking and eating the children, then you want a different sitter.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Having to ask the candidate if he plans on becoming a dictator SHOULDN'T happen. It should be an automatic disqualifier. 

Well, not only that, but there is only one sane answer to that question even if it is asked - which is, of course, "no."  But he couldn't bring himself to say that without qualifying it.

1 hour ago, tkhayes said:

Liz Cheney running for president might not be a bad thing.  She only says she has not ruled it out.

Probably a long shot

Isn't that a funny thing - because culturally speaking Liz Cheney is savagely right wing. She's significantly more conservative (regressive, even) than her dad. But the current Maga party calls her a RINO because (and only because) she thinks democracy is more important than power.

Which on the one hand is terrifying, the next election in the US in many places will be a choice between mainstream candidates who want democracy and mainstream candidates who want permanent total power. On the other hand it shows that it doesn't have to stay this way. The American Right isn't necessarily beyond redemption and you can be as anti gay, anti choice, anti book, anti whatever as you like and still fundamentally believe that the people have the right to choose whether you get to implement that agenda or not.

One of the most potent tools of the aspiring dictator is fear - and getting people to fear outsiders, and propping yourself up as the only one who can protect them, ensures their loyalty.  With that in mind he said this about immigrants recently:

"They’re rough people, in many cases from jails, prisons, from mental institutions, insane asylums, you know?  Insane asylums, that’s 'Silence of the Lambs' stuff.  Hannibal Lecter, anybody know Hannibal Lecter? Well, we don’t want ‘em in this country."

That's right.  Hannibal Lecters are literally pouring in across the border to EAT YOUR KIDS!

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Sure, but for a Trump card you can't beat ignorance.

Trump's appeal is something I can never understand. None of the justifications people use come even close to making sense to me. I can only assume that some people are just attracted to evil things. I suppose we all have some evil within us and that some of us have enough that we are okay with him. I seriously feel this way. If you support Trump you have evil in your heart. And if you think I am American bashing please be aware that there are proportionately nearly as many Canadians who support him and wish we could have leaders like him. It is very disheartening.

31 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Trump's appeal is something I can never understand. None of the justifications people use come even close to making sense to me. I can only assume that some people are just attracted to evil things. I suppose we all have some evil within us and that some of us have enough that we are okay with him. I seriously feel this way. If you support Trump you have evil in your heart. And if you think I am American bashing please be aware that there are proportionately nearly as many Canadians who support him and wish we could have leaders like him. It is very disheartening.

It's awful, true, but at least now you know certainly what your neighbors are thinking.

On 12/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, kallend said:

A long, pessimistic and quite scary article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/30/trump-dictator-2024-election-robert-kagan/

What is certain, however, is that the odds of the United States falling into dictatorship have grown considerably because so many of the obstacles to it have been cleared and only a few are left. If eight years ago it seemed literally inconceivable that a man like Trump could be elected, that obstacle was cleared in 2016. If it then seemed unimaginable that an American president would try to remain in office after losing an election, that obstacle was cleared in 2020. And if no one could believe that Trump, having tried and failed to invalidate the election and stop the counting of electoral college votes, would nevertheless reemerge as the unchallenged leader of the Republican Party and its nominee again in 2024, well, we are about to see that obstacle cleared as well. In just a few years, we have gone from being relatively secure in our democracy to being a few short steps, and a matter of months, away from the possibility of dictatorship.

This has also aged very well. Now that our partisan and corrupt Supreme Court has, in their infinite wisdom, decided that we have a misogynistic and theocratic tricameral legislature, originalism and textualism be damned, I'd say the shit has already passed through the fan. I do have to say it was interesting to read that Evangelical twit Barrett's dissent where her only concern was scolding the liberal wing against "stridency" in their dissents. If that doesn't tell you where it's going I'm not sure what I can do to help.

On 12/5/2023 at 2:21 PM, SkyDekker said:

Agreed....here is a preview of a second Trump presidency

Kash Patel says as Trump’s next CIA Director he will lead “patriots” appointed by Trump in an all-out effort to prosecute and jail people in government and the media: “We will find the conspirators in govt and the media. Yes, we are going to come after the people in the media.

First they came after the journalists.

We don't know what happened after that.....

• Like 2

A catalog of his recent lies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/14/trump-crazy-new-claims-fact-checked/

How any person with a shred of decency or intelligence can support Trump is a total mystery to me.

I'll take a forgetul old man over a lying, cheating, predatory and ignorant old man any day (or 4 years).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kallend said:

A catalog of his recent lies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/14/trump-crazy-new-claims-fact-checked/

How any person with a shred of decency or intelligence can support Trump is a total mystery to me.

I'll take a forgetul old man over a lying, cheating, predatory and ignorant old man any day (or 4 years).

The answer has to be that it's not happening, that we really are in a software simulation of reality and the new coder is a truly sick individual.

• Like 1