2 2
kallend

A Trump dictatorship is increasingly inevitable. We should stop pretending.

46 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

This outcome could easily be adverted if the Dems put someone up that could easily beat Trump.

In the dreamworld, maybe. First there is the pesky problem of finding some someone. A quick look at the current organizational chart reveals that we only have one someone with the demonstrated ability to beat Trump. Then, of course, you'd need a consensus to take a break from self aggrandizement between Ralph Nader, Robert Kennedy, Jill Stein, Marianne Williamson and, for all we yet know, Rooster Cogburn, too. If averting really was that easy everyone would be doing it.

58 minutes ago, normiss said:

.....Trump is a traitor who wants to end our democracy. Oh, and he's a rapist. And facing HOW MANY FELONY CHARGES???

Why do you keep listing his accomplishments? Let FOX and Brent list them for the applause of his base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

The problem isn't solely on the Republicans. This also will lay directly on the Democrats hands if that happens. This outcome could easily be adverted if the Dems put someone up that could easily beat Trump. But they won't, so we have the same problem on both sides of the isle. And then people wonder why we say that we do not have a 2-party system, but instead they are all the same.

Hi X-1,

I would hope the same thing.  However, if Trump wins IMO it will be because people/Dems do not come out & vote.

If the people who do not want Trump in office vote, it will be another landslide for Biden.

Jerry Baumchen

59 minutes ago, billvon said:

You're thinking too small.  Perhaps he can't pardon himself for state crimes, but he can certainly start firing judges (and/or threatening them, their families and their friends) until a judge manages to find a way to void his conviction.

Hi Bill,

Only those federally appointed.

Any judge who has been elected/appointed at the city, county, state gov't. level, he cannot touch.

Jerry Baumchen

16 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Only those federally appointed.

?? Not at all.  He can tweet whatever he likes, and if he wins again I am certain he will ensure he cannot be banned for any mere threats.

Trump 2025: "Crooked Liberal Judge Allison Straus upheld my conviction!  Will no one rid me of this turbulent judge and her family?"
Trump 10 days later: "I didn't tell that lunatic to kill Straus!  That's a LIE!  But let's hope for the sake of the NEXT judge she doesn't cross me."

2 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

... This outcome could easily be adverted if the Dems put someone up that could easily beat Trump... 

Who?

Biden has a LOT going for him. 

The Ds just need to start shouting it from the rooftops.

And equally, start calling out all the Rs who are claiming credit for the projects being financed by the Infrastructure Act...
That they voted against.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

He can certainly threaten them, but I don't think he can fire them. At least not state judges.

Yeah, I just realized what Joe was emphasizing above.  He can't fire judges directly on his authority, but he can certainly use all the power the US federal court system has to go after them and their families.  (And of course he can use the same kind of power he wielded on Jan 6th to get them attacked.)

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yeah, I just realized what Joe was emphasizing above.  He can't fire judges directly on his authority, but he can certainly use all the power the US federal court system has to go after them and their families.  (And of course he can use the same kind of power he wielded on Jan 6th to get them attacked.)

And there is no doubt he will do that. To me the US ballot in 2024 isn't Trump vs Biden but Trump vs Democracy. Unfortunately I am not convinced Democracy will win the election.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And there is no doubt he will do that. To me the US ballot in 2024 isn't Trump vs Biden but Trump vs Democracy. Unfortunately I am not convinced Democracy will win the election.

Hi Sky,

And, this is why people need to show up at the polls.

IMO far too many people think no matter who wins, it will just be politics as normal.

Not this time; as John Kallend puts it:  A Trump dictatorship is increasingly inevitable.

Jerry Baumchen

Pop quiz - what America-hating liberal said this about Trump?

“The only path to a subversion of the republican system of the Country is, by flattering the prejudices of the people, and exciting their jealousies and apprehensions, to throw affairs into confusion, and bring on civil commotion.  When a man unprincipled in private life, desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper…is seen to mount the hobby horse of popularity, he may ‘ride the storm and direct the whirlwind.’”

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

In the dreamworld, maybe. First there is the pesky problem of finding some someone. A quick look at the current organizational chart reveals that we only have one someone with the demonstrated ability to beat Trump. Then, of course, you'd need a consensus to take a break from self aggrandizement between Ralph Nader, Robert Kennedy, Jill Stein, Marianne Williamson and, for all we yet know, Rooster Cogburn, too. If averting really was that easy everyone would be doing it.

My wife knew Jill Stein during (medical) residency.  She says Stein was weird even then.

The real question is…

How does a guy that ripped off people in so many ways and can’t run a charity, raped someone, lied about an election and the biggest of all…didn’t lift a finger to defend the Capitol, thus violating his oath of office, get an ounce of support from anyone.

Reality, truth and integrity are gone gone gone in the USA.

6 hours ago, normiss said:

The 2 current sides are in no way similar IMO. Biden has continually proven he can and IS doing a damn good job at POTUS. Yeah, he's old. He still exercises, runs, is damn sharp mentally, and actually has a soul and shows feelings.

Trump is a traitor who wants to end our democracy. Oh, and he's a rapist. And facing HOW MANY FELONY CHARGES???

I believe there is some truth to what Cygnus said. While they are not the same, I believe it is a legitimate concern having 2 candidates in their 80's. 

I would think the Democrats would have a couple of strong candidates that are younger than Biden and by removing the legitimate concern of a president who would be mid 80's at the end of his 2nd term the likelihood of beating Trump would be increased. Trump is evil and it is worth doing whatever it takes to ensure that he is crushed at the polls.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Pop quiz - what America-hating liberal said this about Trump?

“The only path to a subversion of the republican system of the Country is, by flattering the prejudices of the people, and exciting their jealousies and apprehensions, to throw affairs into confusion, and bring on civil commotion.  When a man unprincipled in private life, desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper…is seen to mount the hobby horse of popularity, he may ‘ride the storm and direct the whirlwind.’”

Too easy.

"Objections and Answers respecting the Administration of the Government"

Hi folks,

One interesting take on a Trump presidency; and, I am not in total agreement:  As a lawyer, however, I’m more at ease. The Trump presidency won’t be an extension of the Miss Universe pageant or “The Apprentice.” He can’t fire Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Sen. Elizabeth Warren or the rank-and-file working for the EPA or the State Department. 

The Founders prepared us for this threat | The Daily World

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, nigel99 said:

I believe there is some truth to what Cygnus said. While they are not the same, I believe it is a legitimate concern having 2 candidates in their 80's. 

I would think the Democrats would have a couple of strong candidates that are younger than Biden and by removing the legitimate concern of a president who would be mid 80's at the end of his 2nd term the likelihood of beating Trump would be increased. Trump is evil and it is worth doing whatever it takes to ensure that he is crushed at the polls.

I partly agree with what you're saying, but one part of the flip-side argument is that Biden represents 100% of people who have defeated Trump in a presidential election. 

If it comes down to Biden v Trump, it's a question of 'successful statesman politician grandpa' vs 'vindictive insurrectionist grandpa'.  It's not like Trump is representing the youths, and despite his doctors' claims that he's healthier than any olympian they've ever examined, I'd put money on Trump popping his clogs ahead of Biden if a gripper's gonna take one of them down.  

Not that my Texan vote will matter, but it'll be for Biden.  

32 minutes ago, lippy said:

I partly agree with what you're saying, but one part of the flip-side argument is that Biden represents 100% of people who have defeated Trump in a presidential election. 

If it comes down to Biden v Trump, it's a question of 'successful statesman politician grandpa' vs 'vindictive insurrectionist grandpa'.  It's not like Trump is representing the youths, and despite his doctors' claims that he's healthier than any olympian they've ever examined, I'd put money on Trump popping his clogs ahead of Biden if a gripper's gonna take one of them down.  

Not that my Texan vote will matter, but it'll be for Biden.  

I saw an MSNBC interview where the person said it is not that Biden is too old, rather that he is an 'Old School Politician' and that fails to resonate with younger voters. 

By removing age from the equation, it does remove what is currently the biggest issue that has some credibility. Of course any other candidate will always bring other criticisms, such as Trump has experience and they don't etc.

It's a bit sad that Republicans aren't speaking out and even Bush etc not adding their voices to the concern. The only 2 high profile voices I have heard are Cheney and Christie.

It would help the situation if Trump chocked on a chicken nugget though! Or get him to bungee jump with his weight recorded as 215lbs. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

It would help the situation if Trump chocked on a chicken nugget though! Or get him to bungee jump with his weight recorded as 215lbs. 

Well, we almost lost Dubya to a pretzel, so there is hope.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Not that I'm replying to nigel directly, it is just the last post that referenced my previous one.

Of course Trump and Biden are not the same person with the same traits. That is not what I mean by "being the same". What is the same is both political parties. Both want their form of dictator. Just look what has happened here in Florida where we no longer will have a primary - only one choice on the ballot. It is not about Biden's age. Here is the problem with Biden:

image.png.76a9c24ac57f94fd6ea08ad2c9a56172.png

(How Popular Is Joe Biden? | FiveThirtyEight)

You are telling me that the D party could not come up with anyone who could beat these numbers? The dems don't even what to find out apparently. Make Biden stand up, grab some balls, and shout out his accomplishments and stand behind them. But he won't do that in fear of offending his good close republican friends.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

What is the same is both political parties. Both want their form of dictator.

Again - this is utterly ridiculous. There is absolutely no comparison. It is beyond credible that you actually believe this is true.

You are telling me that the D party could not come up with anyone who could beat these numbers?

No one who wants to instigate a needless internal party conflict. Good candidates don't run against their own incumbents. They pretty much never have, and that's not Biden's fault. If you want to see just how easily Biden would wipe the floor with the outcasts and crazies who have tried to put their names down there's plenty of polling out there and it is about as decisive as it gets.

The idea that this makes Biden the same kind of wannabe dictator as Trump, a guy who is out there every week describing exactly how he would dismantle the entire independent Justice system and rebuild it for his own partisan aims, up to and including using 'Presidential privilege' to declare himself the winner of an election (yes really) is beyond stupid.

Edited by jakee

17 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

One interesting take on a Trump presidency; and, I am not in total agreement:  As a lawyer, however, I’m more at ease. The Trump presidency won’t be an extension of the Miss Universe pageant or “The Apprentice.” He can’t fire Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Sen. Elizabeth Warren or the rank-and-file working for the EPA or the State Department. 

The Founders prepared us for this threat | The Daily World

Jerry Baumchen

The linked article is from November 2016.  Back then Trump was constrained by the guardrails (or hockey pads, or whatever) because he was both lazy and ignorant of how the levers of power actually worked.  He may still be lazy, and stupid, but now he is surrounded by entities such as the Heritage Foundation who are neither lazy nor ignorant, and they are determined to remake the country as a Frankenstein chimera of 1850s law/society and Christian nationalism. 

On 12/4/2023 at 1:22 PM, gowlerk said:

Well....if you can't tell the difference between good and evil maybe they are the same. 

Kinda depends on who you ask.  Some places you get a medal and others you face execution for the same thing.

20 hours ago, billvon said:

. . . he can certainly use all the power the US federal court system has to go after them and their families.  

And no sooner did I predict that than he did just that.  I think he actually started before I posted this and I just missed it.

Since Trump can no longer attack Engoron due to the gag order, he is now attacking his wife and his kids.  He is retweeting posts that falsely claim his wife is vandalizing public spaces with "FUCK TRUMP" grafitti, and retweeting posts that say "it sure would be a shame if someone got the geolocation off [his son's] cellphone . . . . "

How . . . presidential.

(edited)
3 hours ago, jakee said:

Again - this is utterly ridiculous. There is absolutely no comparison. It is beyond credible that you actually believe this is true.

Agreed....here is a preview of a second Trump presidency:

Kash Patel says as Trump’s next CIA Director he will lead “patriots” appointed by Trump in an all-out effort to prosecute and jail people in government and the media: “We will find the conspirators in govt and the media. Yes, we are going to come after the people in the media.

https://x.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1732130346010063053?s=20

Edited by SkyDekker