Slink2

Casa Stall

I just watched Real TV (I know that show sucks) which featured a CSS Casa in Ohio. Too many jumpers on the tailgate (no more than 18 buckeyes on the gate at one time) and the plane stalled. The pilot recovered and all was well. Looked like some Quincy loading footage inserted there unless the Grey Casa (you know the one)has the new blue Fayard paint job on the rear door. Anyone there when this happened?

I just watched Real TV (I know that show sucks) which featured a CSS Casa in Ohio. Too many jumpers on the tailgate (no more than 18 buckeyes on the gate at one time) and the plane stalled. The pilot recovered and all was well. Looked like some Quincy loading footage inserted there unless the Grey Casa (you know the one)has the new blue Fayard paint job on the rear door. Anyone there when this happened?

was this the "flip the casa" video where they didn't recover until like 4k? some people got really hurt on that one IIRC

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

It was the Richmond boogie, not sure of the year. i know the guy who took the video, he got some flak because he sold the footage. Paul fayard was flying the plane and pulled it out from an upside down flatspin! If you've jumped a CASA you'll see the "No Hanging" and "No more than this # of jumpers past this point" Now you know why!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

It was the Richmond boogie, not sure of the year. i know the guy who took the video, he got some flak because he sold the footage. Paul fayard was flying the plane and pulled it out from an upside down flatspin! If you've jumped a CASA you'll see the "No Hanging" and "No more than this # of jumpers past this point" Now you know why!

Holy crap i'd like to see that!

Heck of a good pilot!!

Yes! Saw the footage when I visited Richmond 3 years ago.

The story goes, as it was told to me that day, was that just as the pilot pulled the plane back upright (around 4 grand) the procedures book fell onto his lap, right open to the page that instructed how to recover from the inverted position! :S

Harry video to watch. Big applause for the videoflyer who kept his head and got the shot!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

96 Richmond Boogie and there were some injuries from it. With in a week of the boogie the tape and makrings went up inside the Casa's saying only X people past this spot.

Anyone around CSS needs to ask Paul about this. I've only heard bits and pieces but I've heard its a great story.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

May I speak for the many and say please...Let Us See It.

I'd love to oblige you, but I don't have the footage. Wish I did.
If anyone does, yes please post a link so we can all 'enjoy'.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I've never seen the video, but i do have a freind who was on that load. To hear the story from someone who was on it gave me a pretty good visual in my head. Thank god nobody died and they learned the weight distribution to make the plane safer.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

When it stalled the 20+ that was standing on the gate got tossed. As it fell some of the remaining people were bounced inside around like pin balls and a few more got tossed clear in the planes freefall. I heard someone hit the tail or something too. I think the formation still built to something like a 14 way.

There is a good recall of this in the Rec. archives on google.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

When it stalled the 20+ that was standing on the gate got tossed. As it fell some of the remaining people were bounced inside around like pin balls and a few more got tossed clear in the planes freefall. I heard someone hit the tail or something too. I think the formation still built to something like a 14 way.

Had a friend on that load - I think she said it was a big way for someone's 100th jump or soemthing like that. The quote above is roughly what she described.

Thank god nobody died and they learned the weight distribution to make the plane safer.

any good pilot would know there weight distribution before they took off.....and being a jump pilot must understand the dynamics of jettisonable cargo moving in the rear...this stuff should of been on there years before...but it wasn't....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

The Casa's had only been around for a season at the max. And the jumpers were told about the limits at the boogie but ignored them. The LO knew the limits of the plane beforehand. There is'nt much a pilot can do to prevent 25 people from trying to stand/hang on the gate short of yelling to get out of his/her plane. Whats he to do? physically restrain the jumpers?

On a side note, can many people can be past a certian spot on an Otter and why is'nt it marked on all the Otters?
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

>any good pilot would know there weight distribution before they took
> off.....and being a jump pilot must understand the dynamics of
> jettisonable cargo moving in the rear...

It happens. "No more than 10 people on the tailgate" was a well-known rule for the Eloy skyvan, yet still people managed to stall it during the Montana state record attempt a few years back. A stalled skyvan is bad enough; a stalled lead plane between two otters is worse.

>but pilots need to be vigilent in there efforts to instruct the cargo as
>what to and what NOT to do!!!!!

Well, I don't think you can be much more vigilant than putting up a sign in 2" high letters saying "10 PEOPLE MAX AFT OF RED LINE." If they ignore that, they're probably going to ignore a pilot as well. I think it's one of those things that people don't take too seriously until something bad happens. They think that putting 12 people on the tailgate is like pulling at 1700 - no problem as long as no one saw you.

We need to be responsible for ourselves. While the FAA probably makes it the pilot's responsibility, realistically it is our job. Make sure you count heads and pay attention to load distribution limits. For your group and any group ahead of yours.

I have been on a stalled Beech D-18 on jumprun. It was not fun at all. I recall that I was the only person not bleeding afterwards. I've paid more attention since then. I also lost some friends in Seattle when a Lockheed Lodestar stalled. It never recovered and you are seriously mistaken if you think you are tough enough to get out if you have to.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

We need to be responsible for ourselves. While the FAA probably makes it the pilot's responsibility, realistically it is our job. Make sure you count heads and pay attention to load distribution limits.

We need to keep some historical perspective, though. At the time of the Casa stall, I don't think there WAS any markings on the inside of the plane.

So.... think of it like an Otter. How many of us really know the weight and balance limits of an Otter? King Air? Caravan?

Actually, we DO know the weight limits of an Otter. We know that you can pile up 20 people in the tail, chunk off a big way withouth problem. I've been one of 16 people chunked up in the back of a Caravan, too. With most skydiving planes in curr ent use, we know that we can pile up as many people as can fit without problem.

To us, as skydivers who aren't pilots and don't have copies of airplane manuals handy, why would we think any other plane is different?

a: the pilot, owner, and load organizer didn't know, or didn't do the math.
b: the pilot, owner, and load oragnizer knew, but the jumpers didn't.
c: everyone knew, but the jumpers ignored the rules.

Anyone know? A, B, or C?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>At the time of the Casa stall, I don't think there WAS any markings on the inside of the plane.

Correct.

Accourding to the people I've talked to about it and reading rec. (we all know how reliable the internet is... ;)) its either B or C (depending on the person). Either of them are non-excusible. I've seen pictures of people hanging off both sides of the plane past the edge of the gate. Thats pushing the weight further past the normal area and only screws up the balence even more.

Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com