1 1
jakee

Clarence Thomas

1 hour ago, phantomII said:

Looks like Harlan Crow, the Nazi memorabilia collecting billionaire, bought himself a fine black SC Justice.

Oh, I’m sure he can keep his work and personal life separate. After all, his wife is a MAGA activist who colluded (albeit tangentially) in the insurrection on January 6!

Yes, we really need a sarcasm font

Wendy P. 

47 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Oh, I’m sure he can keep his work and personal life separate. After all, his wife is a MAGA activist who colluded (albeit tangentially) in the insurrection on January 6!

Yes, we really need a sarcasm font

Wendy P. 

Well, to be fair to Thomas, I somewhat doubt that the 'favors' altered any of his decisons.
He would have ruled the same way either with or without the bribery.

And yes, a 'sarcasm' font would be helpful.

10 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, to be fair to Thomas, I somewhat doubt that the 'favors' altered any of his decisons.
He would have ruled the same way either with or without the bribery.

And yes, a 'sarcasm' font would be helpful.

Yup, it was all just a thank you for being part of the team. The real problem is that it helps to normalize the perception of bias. Is it purchased bias or is it inherent bias. How can anyone know after a while?

• Like 1

Just now, gowlerk said:

Yup, it was all just a thank you for being part of the team. The real problem is that it helps to normalize the perception of bias. Is it purchased bias or is it inherent bias. How can anyone know after a while?

Absolutely. 

It's a VERY clear case of improperly accepting gifts.
It's a VERY clear conflict of interest (even though Crow's & Thomas' 'interests' don't actually conflict).

Similar to the Wisconsin Supreme Court race, where the conservative candidate accepted a large 'campaign contribution' from someone with a case before him, it doesn't really matter that he likely would have ruled the same way with or without the bribe.

It's the accepting a large 'contribution' from someone with a case before him.
And, of course, he didn't see a problem with it.

21 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It's a VERY clear conflict of interest (even though Crow's & Thomas' 'interests' don't actually conflict).

*a situation in which a person is in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in their official capacity.

28 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

How can anyone know after a while?

Doesn't matter. There are federal laws that limit the financial gifts a federal employee can accept AND even if approved - you're subject to it being taxed as unearned income. 

9 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

*a situation in which a person is in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in their official capacity.

Thomas is in a posistion where he can choose to either please or displease his wife. Surely we can all agree that he has a personal interest in that.

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

Doesn't matter. There are federal laws that limit the financial gifts a federal employee can accept AND even if approved - you're subject to it being taxed as unearned income. 

I agree with that. But it also doesn't matter because SCOTUS makes it's own rules and there ain't nuthin anyone can do about it.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Thomas is in a posistion where he can choose to either please or displease his wife. Surely we can all agree that he has a personal interest in that.

Doesn't matter. He's not getting a check from his wife, but the American taxpayer. [she'll be very displeased to no longer be married or be married to a disgraced Jurist]

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

Abe Fortas

Fortas resigned in disgrace.

I doubt Thomas will resign.

He might get prosecuted for failing to report gifts. Possibly tax evasion.

I highly doubt he would be removed by impeachment.
I highly doubt the R controlled house would impeach him.

4 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Abe Fortas

I did not know of that affair. It is interesting. It involved a substantial cash gift. Nice to see that the political and legal class has since learned it's lesson and moved to more subtle accomodations and hospitality between friends.

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Negative. It's always a poor workman who blames their tools. All SC sarcasm font complainers should work on their technique instead. 

The readers of the sarcasm should generally be able to decipher it upon a close and careful reading. If unsure and it seems outrageous you most likely need to read it again and think for awhile.

Just now, gowlerk said:

The readers of the sarcasm should generally be able to decipher it upon a close and careful reading. If unsure and it seems outrageous you most likely need to read it again and think for awhile.

Our course, there's always a chance it's fake sarcasm.

51 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Sure but laws are for plebs, not for supreme court justices. Nothing, absolutely nothing will come of this.

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Fortas resigned in disgrace.

I doubt Thomas will resign.

He might get prosecuted for failing to report gifts. Possibly tax evasion.

I highly doubt he would be removed by impeachment.
I highly doubt the R controlled house would impeach him.

Hi Joe,

See Post #5.

Jerry Baumchen