2 2
Phil1111

Liz Truss, UK Conservative

46 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I think she won....I see she is eligible for £115,000 annually for the rest of her life for her 45 days in office.

People keep going on about this but it’s a bit of a nonsense- I think it’s an expenses limit for any duties related to having been prime minister, not a salary.

48 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I think she won....I see she is eligible for £115,000 annually for the rest of her life for her 45 days in office.

For office expenses incurred while engaging in public life (which I assume mostly means paying the salaries of the people who write the speeches she'll be paid tens of thousands of pounds to give to various right wing thinktanks).

I was wondering earlier today who would want Truss to be involved in public life anymore, or even how she deals with this. She's been a true believer in pure neo-liberal economics since she was a student activist, it's been the core of her entire political career, she finally lucked into the position of being able to do exactly what she wanted... and the free market slapped her down harder than if she'd been the ghost of Karl Marx. How will she deal with the realisation that her entire life has been a lie? 

Then I remembered it's 2022, so in a week's time she'll have convinced herself it's all the liberal media's fault, if she hasn't already.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

For office expenses incurred while engaging in public life (which I assume mostly means paying the salaries of the people who write the speeches she'll be paid tens of thousands of pounds to give to various right wing thinktanks).

I was wondering earlier today who would want Truss to be involved in public life anymore, or even how she deals with this. She's been a true believer in pure neo-liberal economics since she was a student activist, it's been the core of her entire political career, she finally lucked into the position of being able to do exactly what she wanted... and the free market slapped her down harder than if she'd been the ghost of Karl Marx. How will she deal with the realisation that her entire life has been a lie? 

Then I remembered it's 2022, so in a week's time she'll have convinced herself it's all the liberal media's fault, if she hasn't already.

Hi jakee,

Works for Trump; why would it not work for a woman?

Jerry Baumchen

11 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

People keep going on about this but it’s a bit of a nonsense- I think it’s an expenses limit for any duties related to having been prime minister, not a salary.

It's expenses that go to running an office - but I haven't seen anywhere that the office has to be a non-profit. Tony Blair gets paid hundreds of thousands of pounds per speech but still claims the full £115k in expenses and I'm going to assume it's all part of the same operation. In that sense getting paid the money directly, or using it so you can keep the money you are being paid all shakes out the same in the end.

And I believe it may end up being more than £115k because the government also covers pension contributions for staff being paid with it.

• Like 1

Its looking more and more likely that Boris Johnson will be the next PM. Conservative backbenchers have come to realize that his personal leadership. Is what the party needs.

Sorry jakee.

BBC was just reporting that BJ was among TWO front runners according to backbenchers.

The Italian parliament had a standing ovation now that the UK has outdone Italy. That the UK is now number one in providing humor for the world in difficult times.

10 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Its looking more and more likely that Boris Johnson will be the next PM. Conservative backbenchers have come to realize that his personal leadership. Is what the party needs.

Sorry jakee.

BBC was just reporting that BJ was among TWO front runners according to backbenchers.

The Italian parliament had a standing ovation now that the UK has outdone Italy. That the UK is now number one in providing humor for the world in difficult times.

Nah he needs 100 votes from mps and I don’t think he’ll get them. If he did, that might be enough of a farce for a few tories to cross the aisle and vote no confidence, triggering a GE

14 hours ago, Stumpy said:

Nah he needs 100 votes from mps and I don’t think he’ll get them. If he did, that might be enough of a farce for a few tories to cross the aisle and vote no confidence, triggering a GE

BJ is only seven members behind Rishi Sunak. According to rumors he will cancel his Caribbean vacation. Private jet it to London and save Britannia.

spacer.png

To be welcomed by his loyalist back benchers. Sorry jakee.

10 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

BJ is only seven members behind Rishi Sunak. According to rumors he will cancel his Caribbean vacation. Private jet it to London and save Britannia.

I don’t buy it. There’s a block of 16 blanked out names for Boris which Fawkes says are party board members etc. I’d have thought that most of them would be less likely than ordinary MP to vote for Boris since they had to deal with the fallout last time.

(edited)
5 hours ago, olofscience said:

I wasn't aware of the Fox news coverage of Liz Truss, but apparently here's a compilation:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj_k2kggcAx

Just like the Daily Mail "At last a true Tory budget!" and the editor of the Sunday Telegraph "The best budget I have ever heard a British Chancellor deliver by a massive margin. The tax cuts were so huge and bold, the language so extraordinary, that at times, listening to Kwasi Kwarteng, I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming, that I hadn’t been transported to a distant land that actually believed in the economics of Milton Friedman and FA Hayek."

These people who need us to believe they know what they're talking about pushed for this, applauded every detail of the mini-budget, told us it was guaranteed to be an unrivaled success... then watched as their ideology shattered to smithereens on first contact with reality. And it won't make any difference at all. They'll simply forget this episode ever happened and go back to telling us over and over again why they know what's best for us and who we should be voting for.

5yjiwt39v7m91.jpg?auto=webp&s=a6e6296936

Funny that we've had all these 'saviours' and nothing seems to have improved...

Edited by jakee

(edited)
On 10/21/2022 at 2:31 PM, Phil1111 said:

In a whiplash inducingly fast return to form, Boris is claiming to have the required 100 (unnamed) backers already, with plenty of other Tory MPs calling that ‘hogwash’ ‘garbage’ and ‘numbers plucked from thin air to make the headlines.’

So he’s been back in the country for less than half a day and he’s lying to everyone already.

Edited by jakee

1 hour ago, jakee said:

In a whiplash inducingly fast return to form, Boris is claiming to have the required 100 (unnamed) backers already, with plenty of other Tory MPs calling that ‘hogwash’ ‘garbage’ and ‘numbers plucked from thin air to make the headlines.’

So he’s been back in the country for less than half a day and he’s lying to everyone already.

I've seen other rumours to the effect that, should Boris be reselected as PM, at least 100 Conservative backbenchers will cross the floor, resigning the whip and vote with Labour to force a General Election.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, jakee said:

That sounds extremely optimistic given that most Tory back benchers would lose their own seats in a snap election. These  turkeys don’t vote for Christmas.

BBC was reporting that on many call in radio programs BJ supporters were calling in by the hundreds.

In other news: "UK credit score outlook revised to negative by Moody's on political drama" The downgrade this week is on top of several other rating agencies over the last month.

Edited by Phil1111