2 2
Phil1111

Liz Truss, UK Conservative

(edited)
18 minutes ago, ryoder said:

It is too bad that "Yes, Prime Minister" is no longer being produced. The Truss administration could provide sooo much material!

Yes, Minister had a positively rose tinted view of government competence compared to this. It was also centred around the idea that the civil service got on with the job of running the country while elected politicians just fluttered around the edges. You can't have a Yes Minister where Sir Humphrey is fired in the first scene. What we need is Armando Iannucci to come back from the states and make a new series of The Thick of It.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:22 AM, kallend said:

How about choosing a PM who did not attend Oxford. 

I've just seen that Kwarteng went to Cambridge, so you might want to lie low for bit;)

Edited by jakee

Liz Truss's Home Secretary has resigned (with a savage letter accusing the government of playing fantasy politics) - the shortest term of any Home Secretary in modern British politics. There are three Great Offices of State under the PM, and Truss has lost two of them inside a month and a half. She might as well go for the grand slam now and fire the Foreign Secretary before her own inevitable demise.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Well, one resigned, one was fired -- I'm sorry, but the Foreign Secretary has to die, or somehow be impeached so that he has a third way to leave office. The other two ways have already been used.

Wendy P.

There is always the Russian way: Fall out a window, or get poisoned.

OK, not the Foreign Sec but more casualties already. After the Whips' office was fully mobilised to force Tory MPs to vote against a ban on fracking, the Chief Whip and Deputy Chief Whip have both been fired for bullying. Apparently they were screaming at, physically shoving and making MPs cry outside the voting rooms.

I'm not even sure I care about the damage being done to the country at this point - as soap operas go it's fucking fantastic. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63322533

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jakee said:

OK, not the Foreign Sec but more casualties already. After the Whips' office was fully mobilised to force Tory MPs to vote against a ban on fracking, the Chief Whip and Deputy Chief Whip have both been fired for bullying. Apparently they were screaming at, physically shoving and making MPs cry outside the voting rooms.

I'm not even sure I care about the damage being done to the country at this point - as soap operas go it's fucking fantastic. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63322533

This is quite something:

https://twitter.com/DanJohnsonNews/status/1582808074875973633?s=20&t=kuERSz9LhodH6T8HM2kp-g

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Hi Sky,

Your link had this response; it gave me a chuckle:  My son has lived through four chancellors, three home secretaries, two prime ministers and two monarchs. He's four months old.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 3

The King has the power to dissolve Parliament and and insist on an election. Which would be the right thing to happen. But of course he won't because that would lead to a lot of damage to the monarchy. And the Tory party won't, because they don't have to. They can cling to power for quite a while yet......

51 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Seen on Twitter this morning:

"She could not Romaine!"

Yesterday in PMQs “I’m a fighter not a quitter!” Turns out that was her last U-turn.

Best bit of today, Boris reportedly believes it is “in the national interest” for him to stand in the leadership fight again. Boris, who is still facing an enquiry over whether he lied to Parliament in Parliament (he did), which is a mandatory resignation offence for a PM. Amazeballs.

Wikipedia Tells Users to Be More Specific When Searching '2022 UK Government Crisis'

Specifically, Wikipedia would like to know if you mean the crisis in July when high-ranking politicians in former Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s cabinet were quitting en masse, ultimately forcing Johnson to resign as PM? Or are you looking for information about the October crisis, a clusterfuck where Truss stepped on rake after rake, clearly showing herself to be completely inept at running the country?

LOL!

13 minutes ago, jakee said:

Best bit of today, Boris reportedly believes it is “in the national interest” for him to stand in the leadership fight again. Boris, who is still facing an enquiry over whether he lied to Parliament in Parliament (he did), which is a mandatory resignation offence for a PM. Amazeballs.

Apparently there is more than one tory MP saying that if that happened, they would defect immediately to Labour.

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Boris reportedly believes it is “in the national interest” for him to stand in the leadership fight again.

What would be in the "national interest" right now would be a General Election. If one were called then sure, Boris running as leader would be acceptable. But first an election date would need to be set.

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Apparently there is more than one tory MP saying that if that happened, they would defect immediately to Labour.

And I hope Labour would immediately tell them to fuck off and stand as an Independent. None of these arseholes should be allowed to get away with pretending they've suddenly found a conscience when the only thing they're really concerned about is their own majority.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

What would be in the "national interest" right now would be a General Election. If one were called then sure, Boris running as leader would be acceptable. But first an election date would need to be set.

Thats the stuff dreams are made of. Starmer might be somewhat lacking in charisma, but he's got a decent brain and tears the tories a new one every time there is any sort of a debate.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

And I hope Labour would immediately tell them to fuck off and stand as an Independent. None of these arseholes should be allowed to get away with pretending they've suddenly found a conscience when the only thing they're really concerned about is their own majority.

Hi jakee,

Well, it worked for Trump.  Earlier in his life he tried to run for the Democratic nomination for POTUS.  He switched parties & got elected.

Eazy-peazy.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I agree with you.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:19 AM, Bokdrol said:

We sit on other sides of the political fence and seldom if ever agree but in this instance, I do agree - other than the rule thing which I guess may be tongue in cheek. 

Circling back on this, the 1922 Committee have come up with a very neat workaround on the rules - to get on the ballot  a candidate needs the support of 100 other MPs. In the first 2022 Conservative leadership election (:rofl:) no candidate had 100 MPs support in the first round, and in the 2nd through 4th rounds only Richi Sunak did. So cue a weekend of horse trading until Monday morning comes, Sunak is the only qualifying candidate and there's no need to go to the members for a vote. 

At least that's what they hope will happen. Mordaunt might absorb the support of all the Trussites and wreck those plans, but I think she's been too obviously trying to play both sides for the last couple of weeks.