MichaelMoore

Perris Jet retired?

I've met you in person and know you're not that much of a jerk. So I will assume this is just your usual;

Nice personal attack!

I thought you were suppose to play the ball, not the player?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The Conatsers never bought the jet with the intention of making money. They paid a pitance for it compared to an Otter. It was a fun project for guys that love airplanes. We all had fun with their fun.
One of the engines is timed out, by a 10 year lifespan AD not hours. Pat told me it's about a $180,00-$200,000 fix.
They're pretty busy now with a Skyvan project and a lot of other maintenance projects on the fleet.
I know it also doesn't go over too well with the whuffos when it takes off over town.

I crack up when people say..."You know what this drop zone really needs".

thanking them for trying to make money is the same as thanking Papa Johns for delivering a pie.

So you have a personal policy of never thanking anyone who is doing things for you and making money doing it?

What types of people do you consider to be genuinely worthy of a "thank you"?

So you have a personal policy of never thanking anyone who is doing things for you and making money doing it?

No. What I do have is consistency. Do you have a personal policy to only thank a few people, or everyone?

Do you do it randomly, or do you make a list of people you think are worthy?

What types of people do you consider to be genuinely worthy of a "thank you"?

I normally thank people who do things for me, or for others. I normally thank the pilot, the DZO, my students and YES, even the guy that delivers me my pizza.... so I have consistency.

But, my level of thanking people and who I thank is not the question. I asked another poster who said we should "all thank the Conasters" for the plane. I asked him a question if he thanks everyone who does something for profit, or just a few people. So maybe your question is better asked to him.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

And you think the Conasters bought a jet to "do a nice thing"????

I think they did it so they could go to big boogies with a LOT more stuff than an otter can carry, and get there in style. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I jumped this DC9 twice at Rantoul in 2006. It was the most gorgeous airplane rides ever. Clean, comfortable seats, nice aisle carpet, almost silent at take off, a genuine airliner. Flight attendants Mary and JoAnn, dressed in shorts and T-shirt with their rig on, doing their job by explaining us how to buckle up and showing emergency exits plus distributing candies (they both were jumping after us). 5 minutes to 14500 ft, 2 passes.
One of the two rides is on a video on YouTube at " DC9 Jump Rantoul ". We were doing a 4 way with a friend (co-cameraman) and two Britts. We managed to do 4-5 points despite the tremendous one by one exit which spread us like flies going thru a fan. :)Best memories. It would be a shame to let it go.

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

conwayte

*********awwwww mannnn but I wanna skydive out of a commercial airliner...

Me too, buddy. Me too. B|

One time back in '71...:P

'71? I think you should start a thread about that in "History and Trivia." I wonder if anyone would post to it though?

Ya think? ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

grue

***So is it retired or not? It's advertised on their website as them having the only jet for skydiving in the industry

It's still true. It just doesn't fly.

Yeah, fuck 'em. I went to Perris in 2008 specifically to 'jump the jet'. They didn't have the grace to update their shit to notify anyone it wasn't flying.

I understand the finances, just don't advertise something you don't have.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

EatSleepFly

***awwwww mannnn but I wanna skydive out of a commercial airliner...

You probably already have... Plenty of Otters, Casas, Be-99's and even Caravans have flown in commercial airline service. :P

ya but I Want the commercial airline 'experience' not sitting on a floor in an Otter. I want a flight attendant telling me how to buckle my seatbelt, etc...

kuai43

******So is it retired or not? It's advertised on their website as them having the only jet for skydiving in the industry

It's still true. It just doesn't fly.

Yeah, fuck 'em. I went to Perris in 2008 specifically to 'jump the jet'. They didn't have the grace to update their shit to notify anyone it wasn't flying.

I understand the finances, just don't advertise something you don't have.

Even if it was still flying I'd call before making plans, I mean even if it was in service I imagine it's not a daily thing, maybe most weekenends at least one jet load per weekend when it was flying? But that's your fault for not calling ahead you can't just expect something like that to be readily available upon the grace of your arrival

Not only do you need to have 50+ fun jumpers at the DZ but you need 50+ fun jumpers willing to pay the more expensive jump ticket. I bet once people have done it 2 or 3 times the novelty wears off so you aren't getting repeat customers and then it makes sense how this thing is out of commission