4 4
brenthutch

Meanwhile in the Arctic

1 hour ago, airdvr said:
14 hours ago, Coreece said:

Oooh, I get to play alarmist!  (downs a shot with dxm)

From your article:

dec-avg-torn1991-2010.gif

In the last 48 hours alone there have been 36 tornadoes reported, 16 of which were in KT and TN.  According to the other graph illustrating tornadoes by state,  KT and TN had a combined total of about 30 tornadoes over that 60+ years, if I'm ready it correctly.

BTW, it was Biden who called it a hurricane on TV last night.  ; )

20 years maybe.

Yes, the map from your link shows the average over a 20 year period, which was zero 0 for TN and KY.

The other graph from your link shows that the total for TN and KY over a 60 year period was 30.  On Friday alone there were 16. . .

Damn you for putting me in this position.;P

It's not that easy.

That 2 degrees is reflected in the changing ocean currents (e.g. the Gulf Stream), which in turn affects the circulation of water worldwide.

That 2 degrees is reflected in the temperature of the air in places that normally stay frigid, cooling around them. So the air currents, as well, change to reflect new high and low temperature areas. They're unpredictable to us, because we're used to the way things have been -- and aren't going to be any more.

Wendy P.

31 minutes ago, airdvr said:

2 degree temp rise worldwide since the 40's causes tornados in KY?

It causes an increase in severe weather, not just "tornadoes in KY."

There are three factors that can cause this.

1) Greater evaporation due to higher temperatures.  More water in the air = more rain = more violent/longer lasting storms.

2) Hotter troposphere, colder stratosphere causes an increase in circulation between the two (via the Brewer-Dobson circulation currents.)  This increases upper atmosphere shear.   More shear leads to stronger storms.

3) Storms are big heat engines, and the energy that drives them comes from the difference in temperature at their base (air near the ground) and their tops.  Most storms do not reach into the stratosphere.  But very big ones do - and these very big ones are tall enough to reach the part of the stratosphere that is now cooler, and thus will become stronger.

In 2018 a storm over the Pacific reached so high into the stratosphere (69,000 feet) that its tops were measured at -168F.  Compare that to the surface temperatures (80F) and you have a LOT of energy.

The degree to which these affected this particular storm is not 100% clear yet, and probably never will be - because storms are very chaotic events, and very powerful storms tend to destroy the (ground based) instruments used to analyze and record them.  But the likelihood is that the warmer the lower troposphere gets - and the colder the stratosphere gets - the stronger big storms will become.

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Right wing talking point before glacier collapse: "It's a bunch of ignorant fearmongering!  It's just a MODEL - it's not reality.  Not going to happen."
Right wing talking point during glacier collapse: "It's not really collapsing.  Lying media.  Other glaciers aren't collapsing."
Right wing talking point after glacier collapse: "No one could have predicted this, much less do anything to stop it.  A year ago they were predicting glacier GROWTH!"

9 hours ago, billvon said:

Right wing talking point before glacier collapse: "It's a bunch of ignorant fearmongering!  It's just a MODEL - it's not reality.  Not going to happen."
Right wing talking point during glacier collapse: "It's not really collapsing.  Lying media.  Other glaciers aren't collapsing."
Right wing talking point after glacier collapse: "No one could have predicted this, much less do anything to stop it.  A year ago they were predicting glacier GROWTH!"

Who are you to give people facts about their opinions.  

Well, people have alternate authorities to go along with alternate realities. No one on OANN or Fox could  have imagined the glacier collapsing

When my son was about 7 I tried to have a “facts of life” update. He told me he already knew everything he needed to know. How? “I taught myself.” So if at 7 he can do that, why shouldn’t we just let everyone be free? ]:)

Wendy P. 

54 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

When my son was about 7 I tried to have a “facts of life” update. He told me he already knew everything he needed to know. How? “I taught myself.” So if at 7 he can do that, why shouldn’t we just let everyone be free? ]:)

Wendy P. 

Clever kid.  When I was 7 my 9 year old cousin Felicity taught me.  Quite an eye-opener, as I recall.

1 hour ago, yoink said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59649066

100 degree heat recorded in the Arctic. There are WILDFIRES up there, which is bizzarre to think about.

Ya, back in June of last year when the daily average highs are in the 80s, so it's not that much of a stretch to imagine a forest fire in the summer, in Russia.

But when I hear the president of the greatest country in the world (next to China now, apparently) talking about the destruction path of a hurricane through 6 states from Arkansas to Kentucky, I take notice!

Edited by Coreece

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

But when I hear the president of the greatest country in the world (next to China now, apparently) talking about the destruction path of a hurricane through 6 states from Arkansas to Kentucky, I take notice!

At least he didn’t use a Sharpie… 

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

At least one right wing "media outlet" is claiming the tornadoes were caused by Biden deploying a weather weapon.

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

At least one right wing "media outlet" is claiming the tornadoes were caused by Biden deploying a weather weapon.

I had to hear this for myself;

My gawd, did you know they are using doppler radar to control the weather???:$

https://www.infowars.com/posts/did-joe-biden-launch-weather-weapons-against-kentucky/

ROTF!!!

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

I had to hear this for myself;

My gawd, did you know they are using doppler radar to control the weather???:$

https://www.infowars.com/posts/did-joe-biden-launch-weather-weapons-against-kentucky/

ROTF!!!

You'd have to ask, "how stupid does he think his listeners are?", but he well knows.