dogboybirdy

What would happen if a Solo jumper used a tandem canopy

I'm no expert but wing loading provides forward speed. Forward speed keeps the cells pressurised. I don't know how much underloading would make a canopy not be able fly but I think it makes it less stable, particularly in turbulence. I think think the canopy would collapse easily and there wouldn't be much brakes before stalling since brakes reduce airspeed, so little to no flare power. Also you ever seen a tandem rig at the DZ? They're bloody massive, and they have like 300 sqft or more. Good luck trying to haul a rig of that size. I've never picked one up but I found a 260 rig heavy, 220 not so bad.

BASE jumpers jump very large canopies; they stay pressurized. When I was in my 20's I jumped a 230 even though I weighed about 120 lbs. it stayed pressurized just fine.

To the OP, it'll be heavy, but so what. Talk to a TM or an old fart about it if you're really interested. The canopy ride will be longer.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Maybe it is not required anymore, but tandem instructors in-training were required to do a first jump solo using a tandem rig.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Its just a nice slow ride. My first 2 jumps on student status (I weighed 110) were on a Manta 288. About 15 years ago I took up a 375, and a radio and a sandwich and enjoyed a nice long canopy ride. Could have landed it without a flare at all I was coming down so slow. No issues with pressurization...

Keep in mind that the Military Freefall guys use pretty big canopies. Like 360sf IIRC.

They do that because they are loaded down very heavily for combat jumps, and also because they want slow and (relatively) gentle landings since they are often landing in unfamiliar, unforgiving terrain and often at night.

A solo jumper under a very large canopy should fly fine. It would just be a loooooong canopy ride.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Absolutely nothing, beside the most boring ride of your life, after an awfully long snivel, Tandem Instructors have to jump "solo" a tandem canopy as a requirement for their license.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

I'm no expert

Clearly - tandem canopies can be anywhere between 330 - 520 sq feet. They have been jumped by individual jumpers before being used by tandem,

Student canopies and classic accuracy canopies are also rather large - all work just fine.

There are instances of larger jumpers using tandem rigs reconfigured for single jumper - ie. without a drogue.

I have jumped tandem canopies solo (330 and 425) and got bored.

It took forever to turn and it was descending so slowly that I kept looking up to figure oh how it was malfunctioning.
Hah!
Hah!

For comparison, as a static-line and IAD instructor, I have dropped plenty of Japanese girls (less than 100 pounds) under Manta 288 canopies. They take forever to come down. The greatest risk is them blowing into the next county.
It does not matter how many times the radio instructor yells "flare" they never slow their rate of descend.
Hah!
Hah!

To put it into numbers: student, BASE and precision landing canopies tend to be loaded about 0.7 pounds per square foot.

A licensed jumpers are encouraged to load their first rig around 1 pound per square foot.

Tandems tend to load thier canopies around 1.3 ... similar to the average sport jumper.

Only the bravest and most skilled jumpers load canopies more than 2 ppsf.

I do a solo recurrency jump every year after the long winter layoff up here. Long snivel, long boring ride because I open it at 5000 ft. It used to be a little worse when we only had 365s, now we have a couple 330s. I weigh 200 lbs and the gear is 50.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

sundevil777

Maybe it is not required anymore, but tandem instructors in-training were required to do a first jump solo using a tandem rig.

It is still required for sigma TIs
Carpe Diem, Even if it kills me -- "Dead Poet's Society"

"Are you getting into trouble over there?" --- "Nothing that I'm going to admit to!"

StoppieJoe

***Maybe it is not required anymore, but tandem instructors in-training were required to do a first jump solo using a tandem rig.

Strong doesn't have applicants do solo jumps on their systems, but they have the TI candidate ride on the front and deploy the drogue from there. It sucks.

theplummeter

******Maybe it is not required anymore, but tandem instructors in-training were required to do a first jump solo using a tandem rig.

Strong doesn't have applicants do solo jumps on their systems, but they have the TI candidate ride on the front and deploy the drogue from there. It sucks.

.......................................................:...........

Hah!
Hah!
I have ridden on the front so many times .... I am starting to enjoy that seat!
Even growing eyes on the back of my head.

What's worse is Strong Enterprises requiring aspiring TIs to show a
Logbook entry about a reserve ride. If they have never ridden a reserve, they get to do an intentional cutaway!
Great giggles for the old geezers watching
Giggle!
Giggle!
Tee!
Hee!

They sent us an intentional cutaway rig (the Tridem) and we made a weekend of it. Guess how many potential TIs pulled the standard lower cutaway handle and had to land the first main?

Thankfully as former Stiletto jumper/trash packer I had chopped twice before starting my tandem rating.

jimmytavino

find some true Oldsters @ the DZ...who have been around for Forty Years !!! or more....

ask them to describe their memories of jumping a T- 10

Then ask 'em if they ever jumped a 44 footer cheapo !!!B|

It would be Like THAT !!!

;)

True. A solo on a tandem comes down a little slower and and has a little more forward speed than a T-10. I made 10 or 15 jumps on them when I was at the Relative Workshop. One thing it doesn't do is deflate well after a solo cutaway. After one drifted "over the horizon" I started taking a 5lb. shot bag to hang in the toggle before the chop.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

dogboybirdy

Im an AFF student who is just curious about what would happen if some one jumped with lets say a 400 sq ft canopy. I feel like it would collapse on you, but maybe a 20 minute canopy ride is also just as possible:D

yeah you would never come down. ;)You you would just keep going up up and away. And then if you went into a cloud you would drown. Cause us skydivers breath thru our skin.:S:D:D
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

***Im an AFF student who is just curious about what would happen if some one jumped with lets say a 400 sq ft canopy. I feel like it would collapse on you, but maybe a 20 minute canopy ride is also just as possible:D

yeah you would never come down. ;)You you would just keep going up up and away. And then if you went into a cloud you would drown. Cause us skydivers breath thru our skin.:S:D:D

Remember, the medication only works if you take it every day.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

sundevil777

Already been mentioned, but I just did one on Thursday during a cross over course to get my Sigma rating.

It was weird after 1000 strong jumps with students, and a B license worth of front rides with tandem course candidates. :ph34r:

The hardest part was not having a captive audience to perform my slap stick comedy routine for. :ph34r::D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P