4 4
JerryBaumchen

Jan. 6 Panel

53 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I just clarified what he was saying. Under the Ds fossil fuel is a dying energy source.  When the Rs have input it is not.  I was just stating the obvious.

They have input -- they very close to have complete veto power over even discussing issues formally. They just don't control the mike. If having complete control with a commanding lead of the House and Senate is "having an input," I'd like to understand how you describe "in control."

And it's still dishonest not to make it clear those are your words, and not gowlerk's.

Wendy P.

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

They have input -- they very close to have complete veto power over even discussing issues formally. They just don't control the mike. If having complete control with a commanding lead of the House and Senate is "having an input," I'd like to understand how you describe "in control."

And it's still dishonest not to make it clear those are your words, and not gowlerk's.

Wendy P.

You don’t seem to take exception when others modify my posts.  That’s ok, it is just what I would expect in this leftie echo chamber.

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You don’t seem to take exception when others modify my posts.  That’s ok, it is just what I would expect in this leftie echo chamber.

They reword and reinterpret, but not within a quote box as a rule, without highlighting in some way. And if I'm wrong, feel free to point it out at the time.

Wendy P.

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Since the quote didn't fit his worldview he simply used an alternative quote. Can't really blame him for copying his leaders.

4 hours ago, jakee said:

Since the quote didn't fit his worldview he simply used an alternative quote. Can't really blame him for copying his leaders.

4 hours ago, jakee said:

I'm not sure what I missed, but thanks both of you.

18 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

The article says absolutely nothing about increased regulations reducing refinery capacity. Best case scenario you are lying, worst case you aren't smart enough to understand the words.

“In Wirth's view, the U.S. won't ever build another refinery. That's because it's impractical for an energy company to consider building a refinery due to the current environment. Wirth said, "You're looking at committing capital 10 years out, that will need decades to offer a return for shareholders, in a policy environment where governments around the world are saying, 'We don't want these products to be used in the future.'" So even if a company like Chevron was willing to commit the time and capital to build a refinery, it doesn't make sense given the shift toward cleaner alternative energy.”

https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/06/05/chevrons-ceo-says-no-more-us-oil-refineries-what-s/

policy/regulations? A distinction without a difference 

The last large refinery in the US was built in 1977 (over 100,000 bbl/day). There have been several administrations over that time, with varying degrees of friendliness to the oil bidness.

The way to increase production for the last 45 years has been far more often to increase the capacity of the refineries we have. For example, that refinery built in 1977 with a capacity of 200,000 bbl/day; it now has a capacity of 587,000 bbl/day. Why build new ones when you can simply increase the production of the ones you have? Far, far, less risk and cost.

The last refinery of any type came online in 2021, it's a condensate splitter with a capacity of 35,000 bbl/day.

Here is a page from the US Energy Information Administration (not part of the government) with lots more information.

Wendy P.

“Is COVID the only reason why the U.S. is losing refining capacity?

No. A combination of factors is responsible for the United States’ loss of refining capacity. Choices to convert or shutter refineries are made very carefully—factoring in present and projected future fuel demand, the political environment as well as facility locations and their individual market access. Political and financial pressure to move away from petroleum derived fuels, costs associated with federal and state regulatory compliance and facilities’ singular economic performance all inform these decisions

https://www.afpm.org/newsroom/blog/refining-capacity-101-what-understand-demanding-restarts

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Still nothing there that says that says recently increased regulation is causing the current shortage in refineries that is driving the price of gasoline and diesel.

Who said the regulations were only recent?  OTOH the current political environment has been toxic to fossil fuel, with members of the Biden administration expressing a desire to bankrupt the oil, gas and coal industries. If you can’t connect the dots, you are not as bright as I thought.

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Who said the regulations were only recent?  OTOH the current political environment has been toxic to fossil fuel, with members of the Biden administration expressing a desire to bankrupt the oil, gas and coal industries. If you can’t connect the dots, you are not as bright as I thought.

So in 1.5 years we've lost under 6% of our refining capacity and that's why the price of gasoline has more than doubled in the US? Bummer.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

So in 1.5 years we've lost under 6% of our refining capacity and that's why the price of gasoline has more than doubled in the US? Bummer.

You are leaving out the demand side of the equation.
We are at or near full refining capacity with demand outpacing supply.  What did you expect to happen?  Isn’t this just what you lefties wanted? High prices for oil and gas ushering in a golden age of electric cars, windmills and solar panels?  

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
24 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You are leaving out the demand side of the equation.
We are at or near full refining capacity with demand outpacing supply.  What did you expect to happen?  Isn’t this just what you lefties wanted? High prices for oil and gas ushering in a golden age of electric cars, windmills and solar panels?  

Really, the demand side of the equation of responsible for an over doubling in gas pricing? Hey, I know, let's do it like Venezuela does and subsidize the price down to a handful of nearly worthless bolivars per liter. That'll kill demand.

Edited by JoeWeber