4 4
winsor

Woke is a Joke

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

Maybe it should be called  "anatomy reassignment surgery".  The chromosomes are still the same.

I'd be okay with that if it ever got to where I gave a shit. In the meantime, I'll leave those weighty matters to my betters and continue thinking that what ever makes people happy, that has no intentional negative impact on others, contributes to a generally happier world to live in. That's a good thing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigfalls said:

Maybe it should be called  "anatomy reassignment surgery".  The chromosomes are still the same.

Or "anatomy correction surgery."  A fair number of trans people were on the Prader scale when they were born and were just assigned a specific anatomy by their doctor.  Doctor would say "closer to a female than a male, so let's just do some minor surgery so all their plumbing works."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

I'd be okay with that if it ever got to where I gave a shit. In the meantime, I'll leave those weighty matters to my betters and continue thinking that what ever makes people happy, that has no intentional negative impact on others, contributes to a generally happier world to live in. That's a good thing.

Hi Joe,

PRICELESS!  +  +  +  +  +, forever +.

Jerry Baumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I'd be okay with that if it ever got to where I gave a shit. In the meantime, I'll leave those weighty matters to my betters and continue thinking that what ever makes people happy, that has no intentional negative impact on others, contributes to a generally happier world to live in. That's a good thing.

That's the thing so many don't seem to get, isnt it? I have never once met a trans or non-binary person who's hassled me for calling them the wrong thing. Never. But rarely a week goes by that a person I don't know, in a conversation about unrelated business, starts ranting about the problem with people who demand different pronouns.

 

It's a scary demonstration of the power of the right wing rage machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will admit that where we are (large college population, large LGBTQetc population), while no one has shamed me, there are some very defensive people, and some of them write editorials and letters to the editor in the local paper. So the perception is there, and the default tends to be aggressively sensitive. Seems better than the alternative of “fuck you I’ll call you what I want.”

Wendy P. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jakee said:

That's the thing so many don't seem to get, isnt it? I have never once met a trans or non-binary person who's hassled me for calling them the wrong thing. Never.

Yep.  I've had people tell me "they" when I am referring to a kid that I once knew as a "he" or "she" but no one has ever gotten mad about it.  

At Qualcomm, our diversity officer (and a vice president) spent a significant fraction of her time on DEI initiatives.  She once told me she had trouble with pronouns as well - so she had a policy of using names rather than pronouns when she was referring to someone in the LGBT community who she didn't know well.  Hearing her say she had trouble with it made me feel better about having similar trouble.

At my first Pride parade in San Diego I was worried about using the "right" flag.  Would people think I was trans if I ended up with the trans flag?  Would gay people think that I didn't have a right to fly the rainbow flag because I was straight?  I quickly realized that no one really cared - provided you're using the flag as a show of support and not as a way to say "fuck you."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
3 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  I've had people tell me "they" when I am referring to a kid that I once knew as a "he" or "she" but no one has ever gotten mad about it.  

At Qualcomm, our diversity officer (and a vice president) spent a significant fraction of her time on DEI initiatives.  She once told me she had trouble with pronouns as well - so she had a policy of using names rather than pronouns when she was referring to someone in the LGBT community who she didn't know well.  Hearing her say she had trouble with it made me feel better about having similar trouble.

At my first Pride parade in San Diego I was worried about using the "right" flag.  Would people think I was trans if I ended up with the trans flag?  Would gay people think that I didn't have a right to fly the rainbow flag because I was straight?  I quickly realized that no one really cared - provided you're using the flag as a show of support and not as a way to say "fuck you."

Diversity officer? Could you get tickets and fines? Demerits? I’m thinking Windsor would make a great diversity officer.  
Couple of weeks back at the DZ there was a pride jump at the end of the day and a party after. Fun get together, for sure. I spent the night trying to figure out who was gay or whatever, and I know everyone, but finally gave up. I’m pretty sure that’s how it is supposed to be.

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Diversity officer? Could you get tickets and fines? Demerits?...

I'm guessing it's something of an 'add on' position, where someone is given the duties of establishing policies and procedures to be 'inclusive'.

I had something along those lines as a member of the 'Safety Committee' a while back.
I had a 'real' position and duties, but the 'safety guy' was also part of it.

As a side note, I volunteer at a cat rescue, where the owner is very inclusive and open to the LGBTQ community. 
We had mugs made for Pride month that said "Purrrrride" on them, with a picture of a rainbow colored cat. They sold out.
Of course, a couple dipshits on FB complained about 'going against God's Will' or accusing us of being 'groomers'.

We get quite a few 'difficult to determine' people walking in (it's a cage free shelter, where visitors are welcome to come in and interact with the cats).
My job is to greet them, make sure they understand and follow the rules and answer any questions they may have.

Not to judge or classify them.

Something I have found is that very few are offended if I 'mislabel' them. As long as I accept correction and address them as they choose to be.

I was having a conversation with one of the other volunteers, and she said that she was often nervous trying to decide how to address someone, and would usually default to 'them'.
I pointed out that it's easiest to simply ask.

Something like "How do you prefer to be addressed?"

What I have realized is that giving someone the opportunity to clarify that before any awkward mistakes is giving them a level of respect and acceptance that they don't usually get.
The times I've gotten a 'thank you for asking' outweighs the number of 'what do you mean you can't tell' by a HUGE margin.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'm guessing it's something of an 'add on' position, where someone is given the duties of establishing policies and procedures to be 'inclusive'.

I had something along those lines as a member of the 'Safety Committee' a while back.
I had a 'real' position and duties, but the 'safety guy' was also part of it.

As a side note, I volunteer at a cat rescue, where the owner is very inclusive and open to the LGBTQ community. 
We had mugs made for Pride month that said "Purrrrride" on them, with a picture of a rainbow colored cat. They sold out.
Of course, a couple dipshits on FB complained about 'going against God's Will' or accusing us of being 'groomers'.

We get quite a few 'difficult to determine' people walking in (it's a cage free shelter, where visitors are welcome to come in and interact with the cats).
My job is to greet them, make sure they understand and follow the rules and answer any questions they may have.

Not to judge or classify them.

Something I have found is that very few are offended if I 'mislabel' them. As long as I accept correction and address them as they choose to be.

I was having a conversation with one of the other volunteers, and she said that she was often nervous trying to decide how to address someone, and would usually default to 'them'.
I pointed out that it's easiest to simply ask.

Something like "How do you prefer to be addressed?"

What I have realized is that giving someone the opportunity to clarify that before any awkward mistakes is giving them a level of respect and acceptance that they don't usually get.
The times I've gotten a 'thank you for asking' outweighs the number of 'what do you mean you can't tell' by a HUGE margin.

As we drift along towards a more androgynous society I'll give it my best shot out of basic respect for my fellow human beings and because helping out anyone who is struggling mentally is just the decent thing to do. Same reason I reply to some posts here, I guess. That said, the whole thing strikes me as a young people's problem; once you get accustomed to not remembering names gender becomes a no brainer. Besides, if you do ever get yourself in a pickle there is always Yo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2022 at 11:45 AM, billvon said:

At my first Pride parade in San Diego I was worried about using the "right" flag.  Would people think I was trans if I ended up with the trans flag?  Would gay people think that I didn't have a right to fly the rainbow flag because I was straight?  I quickly realized that no one really cared - provided you're using the flag as a show of support and not as a way to say "fuck you."

I'm reminded of an old Seinfeld episode... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11078313/Holy-Wokery-Batgirl-TOM-LEONARD-investigates-Warner-Bros-90million-superhero-film-axed.html

“Batgirl was only the latest in a long and disastrous line of Hollywood films that have prioritised politically correct values over entertainment. As Robin might say, Holy Woke, Batman!”

Get woke, go broke. To the tune of $90 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Get woke, go broke.

Hidden Figures.  As woke as it gets.  $236 million.

Harry Potter film franchise.  Gay lead character.  $7 billion.

Wall-E.  Environmentally woke.  $520 million.

Black Panther.  Very racially woke.  $1.3 billion.

The Color Purple.  Racially woke.  $142 million.

Philadelphia.  LGBT focus.  $207 million.

Mad Max: Thunder Road.  Women's power and (literal) liberation.  $375 million.

Lots of people who are very much not broke from making woke movies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Lightyear, Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Birds of Prey, Charlie’s Angels, Batwoman, All Rise, Ghostbusters (girl version) all big stinkers.
Batgirl was so bad it didn’t even go straight to video.

I won’t even mention the Jonathan Kent (gay son of Superman) comic book. 

Get Woke go broke

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman had a budget of $120 to $150 million and a box office of $822.8 million. Net profit is estimated at approx. $250 million and it was in the top 10 for 2017 most valuable blockbusters.

 

Not sure what they taught in your MBA about "broke", but not sure you have a very good understanding of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Wonder Woman had a budget of $120 to $150 million and a box office of $822.8 million. Net profit is estimated at approx. $250 million and it was in the top 10 for 2017 most valuable blockbusters.

 

Not sure what they taught in your MBA about "broke", but not sure you have a very good under

Not my assessment 

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls507889455/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

No, the assessment of some person on another forum lol could be you really.

And you  shockingly failed to copy properly. The Wonder Woman sequel indeed flopped. Can you tell me what changed between Wonder Woman I and II to make I a success and II woke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
51 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

No, the assessment of some person on another forum lol could be you really.

And you  shockingly failed to copy properly. The Wonder Woman sequel indeed flopped. Can you tell me what changed between Wonder Woman I and II to make I a success and II woke?

Over wokeness?

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Didn't they teach you at your incredible MBA not to answer questions with a question?

Shows you don't have an answer. As usual you just copied stuff without any thinking.

 

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

4 4