5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

33 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Children killed in/by vehicles. 

We've been hearing this argument for awhile.  Kids and vehicles is thrown out as a debate point and it's always bothered me.

It is also worthwhile to note that until 2020, the #1 killer of kids was car crashes.  As of 2021 and 2022, the #1 killer of kids is gunfire.

• Like 2

Hi folks,

This is one very valid reason for not carrying a gun:  McAnulty took steps to conceal his alleged crimes, including selling his BMW, crafting an alibi, changing his appearance and trying to hide a 9mm Glock semi-automatic handgun

Portland man held without bail in fatal road-rage shooting of Tigard father on Oregon 18 - oregonlive.com

IMO this is not a mental illness issue, it is an issue of someone who should not have a gun.

The real problem is in finding out before he does something like this.

I do not have the answer to that; other than banning self-carry.

Jerry Baumchen

Just now, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

This is one very valid reason for not carrying a gun:  McAnulty took steps to conceal his alleged crimes, including selling his BMW, crafting an alibi, changing his appearance and trying to hide a 9mm Glock semi-automatic handgun

Portland man held without bail in fatal road-rage shooting of Tigard father on Oregon 18 - oregonlive.com

IMO this is not a mental illness issue, it is an issue of someone who should not have a gun.

The real problem is in finding out before he does something like this.

I do not have the answer to that; other than banning self-carry.

Jerry Baumchen

I think it's also that pistols are too much like other toys that you can pull out of your pants and point, to show what a man you are, while not too clearly considering the potential consequences. Having a pistol on your person, concealed or not, is just plain stupid if you aren't serious law enforcement or some other vetted as legitimate occupation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

I think it's also that pistols are too much like other toys that you can pull out of your pants and point, to show what a man you are, while not too clearly considering the potential consequences. Having a pistol on your person, concealed or not, is just plain stupid if you aren't serious law enforcement or some other vetted as legitimate occupation.

Hi Joe,

I have a good friend that I have known for 72 yrs.  Back in the 60's, we were at a party & got to talking about sex, women, etc.  He said, 'A stiff dick does not have a conscience.'

IMO your comment on 'too much like other toys' is in the same vein.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

IMO your comment on 'too much like other toys' is in the same vein.

A lot of people have what is often called "anger management issues". People, especially those with testosterone, often lose their temper and strike out in anger. If they happen to be exercising their 2nd Amendment rights at the time it can get to be very bad for both parties. Injury or death for one and long prison time for the other.

• Like 1

Tennessee is going to take their protest to the next level. IMHO They are going to really force the republicans to play their losing hand. I think they will be in DC next.

If Congress actually worked for the people, it would be simple.

Hold a bipartisan informational hearing. 

Bring in governors, police chiefs, fire and EMS chiefs, district attorneys, doctors, gun manufacturers, school administrators, judges, gun dealers, and other representatives deemed necessary for the debate.

Look at all of the data. What laws work. What laws might work.

Then enact real solutions.

It won’t save everyone, but I think there is legislation that could really curb the violence.

21 years old to buy a gun.

Limited magazines.

Six month waiting periods.

Red Flag laws.

Safety classes before ownership.

Gun owner license.

Domestic violence restrictions on ownership.

No law abiding citizens need to give up anything.

But that would take some common sense logic. And no fear of losing funding or voters.

5 hours ago, gowlerk said:

A lot of people have what is often called "anger management issues". People, especially those with testosterone, often lose their temper and strike out in anger. If they happen to be exercising their 2nd Amendment rights at the time it can get to be very bad for both parties. Injury or death for one and long prison time for the other.

Thanks for a great generic observation.

2 hours ago, grimmie said:

Tennessee is going to take their protest to the next level. IMHO They are going to really force the republicans to play their losing hand. I think they will be in DC next.

If Congress actually worked for the people, it would be simple.

Hold a bipartisan informational hearing. 

Bring in governors, police chiefs, fire and EMS chiefs, district attorneys, doctors, gun manufacturers, school administrators, judges, gun dealers, and other representatives deemed necessary for the debate.

Look at all of the data. What laws work. What laws might work.

Then enact real solutions.

It won’t save everyone, but I think there is legislation that could really curb the violence.

21 years old to buy a gun.

Limited magazines.

Six month waiting periods.

Red Flag laws.

Safety classes before ownership.

Gun owner license.

Domestic violence restrictions on ownership.

No law abiding citizens need to give up anything.

But that would take some common sense logic. And no fear of losing funding or voters.

But it still has to get past the Supreme Court, with ******s like Thomas writing decisions.

For the past 21 years, the top 10 murder rate states have been dominated by reliably red states, namely Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Missouri. Even when we remove the county with the largest city in Trump-voting states murder rates were still significantly higher in these red states (cities tending to be more "blue" than rural areas)

When states such as Connecticut passed strict gun laws, homicides went down. One study found that “the law was associated with a 40% reduction in Connecticut’s firearm homicide rates during the first 10 years its law was in place".

On 4/5/2023 at 11:12 PM, billvon said:

?? I am the one saying we have to understand it.  You are the one saying "just add more guns."

Yes, because he did a better job than I did.  But if you prefer my approach:

• Limits on magazine size
  • A "gun owner responsibility" law.  If your gun is used in a crime, you go to jail for a minimum of ten years.  Even if it's stolen.  Even if you lost it.  Even if it's your 18 year old son who takes it.  Period.
  • An end to the gun show loophole.  Everyone gets a background check.  Everyone.
  • A law that allows police to rapidly confiscate guns from people with mental health issues.  They can then go to court and get them back, after (for example) being examined (and potentially treated) by a doctor.

I could care less about "satisfaction."  I care about dead kids.  Why the f*ck is that so hard for you to understand?

Finally you say something that makes sense.  Yes, they are THE big part (not the only part, but the biggest part) of the problem.  They are the tool used in all school shootings.  They are why shooting deaths are now the #1 killer of kids.  Their lack is why other countries don't have even 10% of the school shootings we have.  If all school killers had to use knives, slingshots or compound bows there would be a lot fewer dead kids.  And again, that's the goal.

Child deaths due to shootings are up over 50% in the past 25 years.  That's how well your solution is working.  Want to go for 100%?  With enough guns that's quite possible.  Forgive me if I don't root for you achieving that.

I prefer Australia's approach myself.

Keep comparing the US to Other places, as effective as hopes and prayers. How then do you plan on removing all the guns??? I know it pains you and others to have to reason with the solution being part of the problem... or is it the other way around???  

On 4/7/2023 at 12:39 AM, BIGUN said:

There's 331 million people in the US and approximately 352 million guns in circulation. How many more you need? 

I know YOU know where I'm going with this... I'm not calling for MORE guns to be made and sold. It's the staggering number you quoted already in circulation  that makes this country "unique" with our problem.    

On 4/6/2023 at 9:10 AM, Phil1111 said:

Yet they can still hunt. Still have guns to "protect" themselves. In the UK, The Vast Majority of U.K. Police Don't Carry Guns. Here's Why.

"London's Metropolitan Police carried out some 3,300 deployments involving firearms in 2016. They didn't fire a single shot at a suspect." Thats the rest of the world in a nutshell.

In America for every two citizens wanting gun control. There is a Brent or Tim who won't budge on the issue. IMO the USSC, the 2nd and the importance of guns for GOP support. Will result in at least another twenty years of the status quo.

Come and take them all, I need the money more than I need paper weights right now... 

In parting, So in the many years to come, let's start getting motivated and dedicated people into public bldgs to protect the lives of the innocent. I mean, This already exists in EVERY federal building... Good enough for them.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timski said:

In parting, So in the many years to come, let's start getting motivated and dedicated people into public bldgs to protect the lives of the innocent. I mean, This already exists in EVERY federal building... Good enough for them.   

But those people are important.

On 4/6/2023 at 10:21 AM, billvon said:

And republicans are panicking.

The protest in Tennessee included three State democratic legislators.  The State house is now going to vote to expel them.  

So these are three legally elected state representatives who were exercising their First Amendment rights at a protest.  And they are being expelled by the opposite party for exercising those rights.

Well, only the two black guys got expelled. They couldn't bring themselves to expel the white woman. But those uppity negros sure had it coming.

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised some of those Republican governors haven't responded by raising the threshold for mass shootings to, say 20 dead victims.  That'll do a lot to reduce the number of mass shootings.  Anyone who disagrees will just be labeled "woke" and run out of the state. QED!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

According to a trans activist, the real tragedy of the school shooting was the “dead naming” and “misgendering” of the perpetrator.

According to an American, Americans are the dumbest people on earth.

https://www.memphisflyer.com/thinning-the-herd-americans-are-the-dumbest-people-on-earth

On 3/30/2023 at 3:52 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

... full registration of every gun. I think that would be less likely to happen than a ban/confiscation of military style rifles. ...

Italy did that many years ago when they banned civilians from owning military caliber guns. Basically if a particular caliber had been used by the Italian Army, civilians were forbidden to own that caliber of ammunition or any gun capable fo firing it. ... because the Italian police and army did not want to be out-gunned when facing criminals.

The exact opposite happened in North America after the Boer War (ended circa 1900) when the professional British Army got their @$$e$ shot off by Boer farmers firing the latest in Mauser military rifles. Many Boers bought these rifles simply to chase hyenas, etc. away from their cattle.

During the 20th century, the Canadian and American Armies assisted civilians in getting their hands on full-bore military rifles. The North American objective was to train large numbers of civilians in the basics of rifle shooting in preparation for the next war.