8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

28 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

How can you possibly know that?  The death and destruction caused by the lockdowns is going to continue to reverberate for years.

I know, but the death and destruction of the COVID deaths is likely much greater. Had we been able to keep our death and infection levels down even 10% it would have been way more than any likely shutdown deaths.

The hospitals and doctors were going to be busy with COVID regardless of shutdowns. All those sick people, y'know? So the deferred surgeries and medical care were largely going to happen regardless. Can't count those. Some of the shuttered businesses were because the owner or staff got sick and/or died. Or the customers.

COVID is a shit sandwich. It's the only one we have right now. I'd rather pick that turd up with a face mask than with my bare fingers, y'know?

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Why does that not surprise me. 

Because, well, I'm a woman who stands on her own. Therefore I know that there are consequences to saying whatever the fuck I want to, to whoever the fuck I want to, whenever the fuck I want to. Someone might beat me up or attack me, and I'm probably weaker than they are.

Men don't generally have that; white men have fewer (not no, but fewer) consequences for many actions, and they see that as a good thing, because it gives them more "freedom." Within social groups, other on-top types (black men in black neighborhoods, ministers in churches, executives in companies) often also don't have consequences imposed as certainly as happens to the also-rans, parishioners, employees, etc.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Pronouns are not that different from names. If we can get past saying “boy” and “girl” for adult humans people used to consider as not being worthy of the consideration of learning a name, then maybe if we interact with someone we should also learn how they want to be addressed.

One of the things that surprises me is that people have no problem with this sort of interaction:

"Oh what a great dog!  What's his name?"
"Her name is Dolly."
"Oh hi Dolly!  Good girl!"

But a lot of people blow a gasket when they have the same interaction with people.  (Which, really, should get more consideration than dogs.)

2 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Did you have a hard time when you learned you shouldn't call grown men "boy" or "Nig---"?  Why is extending the smallest degree of respect to other people so hard for you?

Must have had his ass whooped by a girl and never got over it.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:55 PM, billvon said:

It's not THAT scary.  I mean, yeah, you have to figure out how to plug in EV's, treat women and minorities as equals and maintain your password list, but all those things will come with time.

It's not,it's a contagious mental condition among progressive,it requires blindness to progress. A peity demonstrated in Self-righteousness, also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness and holier-than-thou attitudes is a feeling or display of (usually smug) moral superiority derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person. I think we can take this one to the Woke/Joke forum.

When the State provides every home apartment condo and place of business in LA that plug ?  I'll wait..thinking we might need some extra juice considering our situation. LOL 

11 hours ago, richravizza said:

It's not,it's a contagious mental condition among progressive,it requires blindness to progress. A peity demonstrated in Self-righteousness . . .

?? Progressives are all for progress.  In fact, it's right there in the name.  Where your anger comes from, I suspect, is that progressives generally don't say "hey, they don't hang blacks any more!  We're done here."  They keep pushing for (wait for it . . . wait for it) progress.  And that can be frustrating to conservatives, who hear about social progress and think "we went to all that effort to change - and now we don't hang blacks any more!  What more do they want?  Why can't they see PROGRESS?"

When the State provides every home apartment condo and place of business in LA that plug ? . . . we might need some extra juice 

We might even need to use (gasp!) SOLAR!  Why, pretty soon we will suck the Sun dry.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 4:06 AM, billvon said:

One of the things that surprises me is that people have no problem with this sort of interaction:

"Oh what a great dog!  What's his name?"
"Her name is Dolly."
"Oh hi Dolly!  Good girl!"

Big thread drift here, nothing to do with Biden, but since you opened the door;

I believe you've just made that up as a presumption of what 'people would have no problem with'.  I'd be fine.... actually, let me rephrase this your way.;  People would be fine with calling the dog 'Dolly' if it had no other name, but if people knew with certainty that the dog was male then people would not be calling it 'good girl'. People don't indulge other's fantasies even when it comes to their pets.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:53 PM, brenthutch said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-approval-rating-drops-new-low-41-reutersipsos-poll-finds-2022-02-03/

Biden alienates half the country with his promises of progressive policies and he pisses off the remaining half off when he fails to deliver.

According to a recent CNN poll 60% of voters believe that he has done nothing since he got in office, not delivered on anything promised. If he had done nothing we would be better off.

Since the Civil War there have only been 4 midterm elections where 5 or more seats were not flipped to the party not in power. Even the mainstream Democrats have stated that if Biden doesn't get inflation under control it will be a large Republician win.

A Biden supporter stated that the rate of inflation has actually declined since October. Oct 0.9%, Nov .07%, and Dec and Jan 0.6%. Assuming that the facts are accurate, the description is correct and another demonstration of the Democrats creative thinking. I guess some are dumb enough to not realize that 0.6% on an annualized basis is 7.2%. That same person stated that the average family is spending an extra $276 per month on common living expenses with energy and food leading the way.

We'll see how the next few months go. Keep your fingers crossed on Ukraine.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:53 PM, brenthutch said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-approval-rating-drops-new-low-41-reutersipsos-poll-finds-2022-02-03/

Biden alienates half the country with his promises of progressive policies and he pisses off the remaining half off when he fails to deliver.

According to a recent CNN poll 60% of voters believe that he has done nothing since he got in office, not delivered on anything promised. If he had done nothing we would be better off.

Since the Civil War there have only been 4 midterm elections where 5 or more seats were not flipped to the party not in power. Even the mainstream Democrats have stated that if Biden doesn't get inflation under control it will be a large Republician win.

A Biden supporter stated that the rate of inflation has actually declined since October. Oct 0.9%, Nov .07%, and Dec and Jan 0.6%. Assuming that the facts are accurate, the description is correct and another demonstration of the Democrats creative thinking. I guess some are dumb enough to not realize that 0.6% on an annualized basis is 7.2%. That same person stated that the average family is spending an extra $276 per month on common living expenses with energy and food leading the way.

We'll see how the next few months go. Keep your fingers crossed on Ukraine.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, metalslug said:

I believe you've just made that up as a presumption of what 'people would have no problem with'.  I'd be fine.... 

OK great.  So you'd just take the owners word for it. So would I.

GIven you'd extend that courtesy to dogs, I would hope you'd do the same for people regarding gender (which, of course, is differen than biological sex.)

2 hours ago, billvon said:

OK great.  So you'd just take the owners word for it. So would I.

GIven you'd extend that courtesy to dogs, I would hope you'd do the same for people regarding gender (which, of course, is differen than biological sex.)

Something that occurs to me is that gender only matters because we have so much hierarchy, so many customs, etc tied up in it. Maybe that’s a problem.

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Something that occurs to me is that gender only matters because we have so much hierarchy, so many customs, etc tied up in it. Maybe that’s a problem.

Wendy P. 

You're up to 1000. Now you owe me. I'm pretty sure the current slate of religions haven't helped, either. We even have an SC Justice who belongs to a sect that believes her husband should be calling the shots and, apparently, another that believes his wife should be calling the shots. That's some weird gender shit, if you ask me.

If men want to wear dresses there is no reason they should need to move to Myanmar. Where, by the way, I wore one for the 5 weeks I was there and quite liked it, too. U-Joe they called me and giggled every time. I can't claim to understand the need to be focused on correct pronouns when being addressed but I can respect the need. We all get just one shot at this, if it makes someone happy at no expense to anyone else just do it and you be happy, too. What's so hard about that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

... I can't claim to understand the need to be focused on correct pronouns when being addressed but I can respect the need. We all get just one shot at this, if it makes someone happy at no expense to anyone else just do it and you be happy, too. What's so hard about that?

Because, for some people, treating someone they view as 'lesser' with courtesy & respect makes them 'weak'.

Those same people are utterly incapable of empathy. 
They give absolutely zero shits about anyone else.

It goes way beyond preferred pronoun usage, but that's a really obvious one.

9 hours ago, billeisele said:

Couple of minor (but critical) corrections on these numbers:

* The percentage in question is 56%

* The percentage is taken from those poll respondents who stated they do not approve of Biden i.e. it's basically saying that of the people who don't like him, a little over half had nothing nice to say at all

In fairness to you, CNN completely screwed up the reporting of their own poll, and other news outlets are just running with their own words.

29 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

* The percentage is taken from those poll respondents who stated they do not approve of Biden i.e. it's basically saying that of the people who don't like him, a little over half had nothing nice to say at all

Let's ignore that for now; sort of messes with the message.

In other news, 96%* of people polled believe that BillEisle is far worse than Biden for America.

(*that's 96% of people who like Biden and dislike BillEisle.)

59 minutes ago, billvon said:

Let's ignore that for now; sort of messes with the message.

In other news, 96%* of people polled believe that BillEisle is far worse than Biden for America.

(*that's 96% of people who like Biden and dislike BillEisle.)

In all fairness, until Winsor's resurrection, Bill "I'll be Back" was the forum leader in unanswered questions. Unless they both have me blocked in which case, my sincere apologies to all.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

If my son decided he wanted to wear dresses I'd be OK with it, but I'd also explain to him the difficulties he would face in the real world.

That's so awesomely fair of you. Certainly, you'd start off by explaining your view of the "real world" and how you came to that particular version and then follow up by describing how others might have different versions of the "real world" and then discuss in detail how faith, friends and locality are determinative, not to mention FOX News. But that's not too much and can all be handled in the car on the way to Macy's.

19 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That's so awesomely fair of you. Certainly, you'd start off by explaining your view of the "real world" and how you came to that particular version and then follow up by describing how others might have different versions of the "real world" and then discuss in detail how faith, friends and locality are determinative, not to mention FOX News. But that's not too much and can all be handled in the car on the way to Macy's.

So you don't think my son would encounter difficulties?  It doesn't matter what my view of the real world is in this example.

No way we're going to Macy's.  I think he'd be more of a Kohl's kind of guy.